Poll

Who is the most evil character in the Dresdenverse?

Mab
1 (1.1%)
Nicodemus
18 (20%)
Ariana
2 (2.2%)
Red King
6 (6.7%)
Lord Raith
2 (2.2%)
Lara Raith
1 (1.1%)
Cowl
1 (1.1%)
Corpsetaker
2 (2.2%)
Maeve
1 (1.1%)
Mavra
5 (5.6%)
Bianca
0 (0%)
Polonius
1 (1.1%)
Peabody
4 (4.4%)
Marcone
0 (0%)
Kemmler
16 (17.8%)
Shagnasty
25 (27.8%)
Evil Bob
5 (5.6%)
Dracul
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Who is the most evil character in the Dresdenverse?  (Read 40084 times)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the most evil character in the Dresdenverse?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 03:08:43 AM »
Personally, I like the Granny Weatherwax definition of evil - treating other people as things. All the rest of evil flows from that.

Nicodemus is probably the worst of the appeared-on-page human characters. Shagnasty is more sadistic than indifferent, but he has less of a choice about it than a free-willed human.

Kemmler was probably just as bad as Nicodemus back in his day, too. Possibly even worse, but the brief glimpse in Fistful of Warlocks isn't enough to be sure.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »
All human lives, or just some? If it’s just some, then I’m reminded of things like drone bombing areas in the middle east where innocent men, women and children are blown to bits on a regular basis, the fire bombing Dresden (the city) and so on. Warfare is full of purposeful civilian deaths. Are those things evil? Does glee have to be involved? Is disregard and dehumanising not enough?

And, only humans? What if someone had disregard for dogs and just went around killing them as much as possible? How about someone who make fearie skin sofas to sit on while drinking champagne from the tiny skulls? Are they evil? How about a person who enjoys killing animals at a slaughterhouse, or do we become utilitarian here because it’s approved?

Not trying to be difficult here, but the term “evil” gets used a lot and I never really know what it means to the person who used it as it’s not describing objective reality, but rather a perspective and everyone has a different perspective (even the same person has different perspectives from moment to moment depending on any number of variables).

To answer the question based on this definition, though, I’m not sure we can give a real assessment. The book is first person and limited to only what Dresden thinks others are thinking. If I were to guess which Dresden thinks is the worst, then I’d say the genoskwa or whatever it was called based on his reactions to and feelings about it.

Objectively, I still think the outsiders are the obvious choice for the most potential to be harmful with Dresden a possible second (depending on this “starborn” thingie).
If how I define evil is uncertain to you; then tell how you define the word evil, please.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 09:27:07 AM »
:j I said, essentially, the same thing in a different thread a few weeks ago. While a dramatic thing to say, someone who would do something like that is the opposite of what civilisations need.
I am not bothered by someone who would do whatever they deem necessary for family. No idea, belief, or thought has that value as far as I am concern, But my family over the rest of humanity is a non-decision.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Argonometra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 02:24:16 PM »
Morgan.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 04:23:46 PM »
I am not bothered by someone who would do whatever they deem necessary for family. No idea, belief, or thought has that value as far as I am concern, But my family over the rest of humanity is a non-decision.

Do you see how as a member of the rest of humanity I might find that less than entirely positive ?

If I went to the lengths of collateral damage to other people Harry has to protect his family, the least my family would do in reaction is disown me, because causing collateral damage to other people is evil.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 10:19:43 PM »
Do you see how as a member of the rest of humanity I might find that less than entirely positive ?

If I went to the lengths of collateral damage to other people Harry has to protect his family, the least my family would do in reaction is disown me, because causing collateral damage to other people is evil.
While I understand the logic of your post and I fully expect my family not to accept the extreme measures I would go for their safety. I would probably still go forward with my actions. Fortunately, I don't have wizard powers or find myself in such a difficult position.  ;)
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 10:48:56 PM »
While I understand the logic of your post and I fully expect my family not to accept the extreme measures I would go for their safety. I would probably still go forward with my actions. Fortunately, I don't have wizard powers or find myself in such a difficult position.  ;)
Trolly problems. 

https://youtu.be/-N_RZJUAQY4

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »
I am not as illogical as a 2 year old. Maybe as illogical as a teenager, that could be possible.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 05:27:12 AM »

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 05:30:02 AM »
Nicodemus.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 05:54:51 AM »
I am not as illogical as a 2 year old. Maybe as illogical as a teenager, that could be possible.
You could see this as rebellion against artificial moral dilemma’s in the first place. The trolly problems are interesting because they test human moral instincts. Humans have them because they are a herd animal or at least they originally lived in small groups that needed to cooperate.

But that instinct does not always provide the same answer as logic would, just look at the different forms of this dilemma and examine your own feelings, and your actions are not only motivated by your moral instincts but also by the need to protect those closest to you more than those you do not know. If there is a good friend on one track and three unknown persons on the other...

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2017, 06:29:28 AM »
Humans have them because they are a herd animal or at least they originally lived in small groups that needed to cooperate.

I keep typing, and deleting because I cannot answer without going into touchy topic stuff...  Very frustrating sometimes lol

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »
Yes, let's get back to comparing evil fictional characters and forego examining the evil in ourselves. Much more civil and safe.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »
How about Malvora and Skavis (both entire Houses)? Delighting and feeding on despair and terror is pretty messed up, especially when there are other options—Madrigal changes his tastes, though it's considered really odd to do so.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 03:16:26 PM »
I am thinking Shagnasty was so evil that it nearly drove Harry mad seeing it's true nature.
Make Mine Butcher!