Author Topic: Unsolved Mystery Book13 You picked a fine time to bring me, Uriel.  (Read 4873 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mystery Book13 You picked a fine time to bring me, Uriel.
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 11:05:49 PM »
I wonder what about Harry caught Uriel's attention. His starborn status, connection to Michael, ties to Colin Murphy's daughter. I really want it to be something about Harry's dad.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 02:20:22 PM »
I'd be into that.

Or maybe Uriel just noticed that Harry has a knack for being right where major events can be changed for the Good. Or maybe Papa Murphy put in a word for him because he was hanging around Karrin a lot.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »
I believe that a big part of it was that he carried a fallen angel around in his head for years, but never gave in and accepted the coin while still fighting for those who needed his help.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 03:59:50 PM »
I believe that a big part of it was that he carried a fallen angel around in his head for years, but never gave in and accepted the coin while still fighting for those who needed his help.
That is what Mab said in small favour so it must be true at at least some level.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 10:55:21 PM »
Good point about Lash resistance.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 02:22:00 AM »
I wonder what about Harry caught Uriel's attention. His starborn status, connection to Michael, ties to Colin Murphy's daughter.

I wrote up a detailed analysis of this some time ago, which might be worth your attention: it's at http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,40670.0.html if you are interested.  In summary, I think the logic there is the other way around from what you are suggesting.

I really want it to be something about Harry's dad.

I very much want Harry's dad to be just an ordinary decent guy with a good heart.  Because that way the series makes a point about the capacity of basic human goodness to help people out of bad straits and help them in positive directions, whereas if he had any sort of supernatural powers or qualities it would undercut that.  I really do not want him to turn out to have been a Knight of the Cross, frex, which some people seem to really like as a notion.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 09:10:44 AM »
I wrote up a detailed analysis of this some time ago, which might be worth your attention: it's at http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,40670.0.html if you are interested.  In summary, I think the logic there is the other way around from what you are suggesting.

I very much want Harry's dad to be just an ordinary decent guy with a good heart.  Because that way the series makes a point about the capacity of basic human goodness to help people out of bad straits and help them in positive directions, whereas if he had any sort of supernatural powers or qualities it would undercut that.  I really do not want him to turn out to have been a Knight of the Cross, frex, which some people seem to really like as a notion.
Thanks for the thread link. I saved it to read later. As far as Harry's dad and KotC status, how do feel about the idea of him being one only for a one-time incident?  If Nico can be believed, it seems that many only hold a sword for a few days.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 02:17:54 PM »
I always saw him as a regular, decent stage magician who got caught up in a romance with someone who showed him real magic. His communication with Harry post-death is perfectly acceptable for a regular guy, whose only cosmic importance were in his two most prominent relationships: Harry and Margaret. In fact, it'd be really fitting for Uriel to approach Malcolm, mainly because he was just a guy.

It was one of the reasons I liked Butters so much before he picked up the Sword; he was just a dude trying to do the right thing, with enough sense to realize that he's really far out of his league. I haven't read his Knight short story yet, because, as I've said in other threads, I'm not gonna buy a short story compilation for the one story I want to read, so I don't know what he'll be like as a Knight, but I really liked the Regular Guy theme (one of the reasons I liked the Codex Alera books pre-Princeps, though I like the other two for different reasons).