Author Topic: Agents - Yea or Nay?  (Read 7173 times)

Offline CynDe

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Agents - Yea or Nay?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 04:52:40 PM »
I don't have an agent yet, but I would rather have one than not, since an agent is an expert in the field. Granted, both Maryjanice Davidson and Holly Lisle got their agents after a publishing offer...but both of them got agents to do the actual deals with the publisher.

I made lists of agents from the internet, searching under "speculative fiction agents" and cross-listing who I got with preditors and editors to make sure they were legit and recommended.

Offline Drew

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • www.DrewHenriksen.com
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 01:53:55 AM »
...since an agent is an expert in the field

LOL

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 09:32:17 PM »
agentquery.com seems to be a good site for researching agents.

From all I've read online, it seems getting an agent is the best option.  They know the field, they know what each editors want, and may have a working relationship with them.  Publishers don't often like unagented submissions, and may think that if an agent is representing you, your manuscript is worth reading past the first page.  To me, the best thing about having an agent, is they can query many publishers at once, rather than me having to send to one at a time.

Anyway, my baby is calling, and he will not be ignored.

Matt
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline Kathleen Dante

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Kathleen Dante | Erotic Romance Author
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 09:37:23 PM »
I wasn't published yet when I signed with my agent, didn't even have a contract in hand. Having a good agent got my manuscript read faster, allowed simultaneous queries to publishers, and got me several "perks" in my contract that a first-sale author wouldn't normally get because those "perks" were standard in publisher contracts with the agency. I'm on my second contract, so I couldn't be happier having an agent.

Kath
DREAMWALKER - Available now from Berkley Heat
ENDANGERED - Available now from Berkley Heat
http://www.kathleendante.com

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 03:41:29 AM »
I'm not a writer, but I've been advised to find an agent for my illustration work.  Anyone got experience with artists' agents? ???
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/