Author Topic: Book 19 rumor thread  (Read 14374 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Book 19 rumor thread
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 10:31:09 PM »
Sue terraforms Mars from the distant past and causes John Carter (Burroughs) events to occur.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 08:57:32 PM »
The thought of Erlking laughing while watching Sue go on a rampage is amusing to consider.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2017, 05:15:23 PM »
The thought of Erlking laughing while watching Sue go on a rampage is amusing to consider.

I would actually be really interested in his POV on the events of Dead Beat. I'm curious whether his change of heart on Harry comes from him realizing on his own that Harry confined him to prevent the Hunt from being eaten vs "to protect mortals" - which was an incredibly dumb way for Harry to explain it - or from Mab having a word with him.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 04:31:12 PM »
An Erlking short story would be pretty awesome.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 04:47:31 PM »
I'd read it, but there's the problem of being too revealing. We'll never get characters who know too much about what's going on behind the scenes as perspective characters, unfortunately. Monsieur Butcher even joked that he couldn't do one for Mouse because he's clued in too much—though know we're getting the Zoo novella from his and Maggie's perspectives, so I guess there goes that point.

Anyway, I'd read the hell out of it. Honestly, one with Erlking, Kringle, and Eldest Gruff hanging out and building their three-way bromance would be awesome.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »
Christmas Kringle story done Dresden-style would be amusing.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 08:52:18 PM »
I think an Erlking, Kringle, Eldest Gruff sit down in a bar and have a conversation story would be a blast.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 12:18:28 AM »
It would have to be at Mac's, of course.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
A short story about them competing over who has the best battle story would be great.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 07:02:39 PM »
Does the dream I had last night that JB announced the reason for Peace Talks taking this long was that there was another story that needed to be out first and that we were going to get this new book (called First Night) and then Peace Talks and Mirror Mirror in much more rapid succession count ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 10:59:21 PM »
Your dreams seem more literal than mine. I am still trying to figure out why a yellow bird perched on a chair under a skylight scared the crap out of me.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 03:58:06 AM »
Your dreams seem more literal than mine. I am still trying to figure out why a yellow bird perched on a chair under a skylight scared the crap out of me.

All you have to do is record them faithfully every morning for three decades, and detailed recall improves immensely.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2017, 08:08:11 AM »
I am one of those people that grdgingly does sleep. I often say if they ever invent a pill that would allow a person to forego sleep without the negative effects; I would take it.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2017, 01:28:15 PM »
Aircraft Carriers?  Not fulfilled in changes I assume.

(from an old post of mine):

So there are a number of references to something epic that will happen during the last books, and I thought it might be worth trying to put it together.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MT_zmg3T94

Zip ahead to 47:55, for a question about if the mortal world is waking up to the existence of magic. Jim gives a long answer culminating in 49:20 with "by the end of this we're going to be talking Kaiju and Jaeger epic". The connection to the question (about mortal involvement) makes it seems like military-level intervention.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NEHTk0gVaQ

At the 32:10 minute mark he says: "My big trilogy, we're going to have to get the navy involved in the end". He goes to say "you think I'm being nice. Joke's on you", implying I assume a horrible fate for some of those sailors.

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyAKU7sNWYI

At the 25:28 mark, someone asks about getting ideas for a book. Jim answers at length with an anecdote at 27:05 about how Dead Beat/PG got switched up because of the coolness of "Zombie T-rex". Then at the 27:35 mark he says "That's one of the fun things about writing a scene that you've been waiting a long long to write. There's one with an aircraft carrier that I don't get to write for another 7-8 years, and I've been lusting after it for the past 10. "

4) There's another one from the Beavercreek sigining if you care. The audio is broken up so you only hear the last part of the answer (and then a reference to the question). It's right at the beginning of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTh8rAl5i_g

I think there's another video or two, but I don't see it in my notes. In any case, what you can put together from these references is that apparently mortal awareness of the supernatural increases until the USN decides to send a naval taskforce (since I don't see a single aircraft carrier operating alone) to deal with some Kaiju issue. Since this is a Harry-viewpoint story, I assume he will be on said carrier.

Given the Lovecraftian nature of the Outsiders (and the "FTHAGN" quote in from Skin Game), my guess for the opponent in this story would be something on the order of this guy:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11122/111223357/4534280-2651625309-cthul.jpg

All in all, it has the potential to be a truely epic Crowning Moment of Awesome.

5) So what could be the Jaeger part?  Well, we've seen Bob animate both a zombie trex and a stone lion.  In the first case, Harry used necromancy to empower the zombie, but in the second, it seems Bob did it all on his own.  Presumably there is some sort of size restriction, perhaps limited by the amount of power you can bring to bear.  Personally, I was hoping that Butters would use the power source of his lightsaber to build gadgets (turning him from Batman into Green Lantern), but perhaps Harry could empower a huge golem that Bob (or Bonnie, or even evil-bob) could inhabit. 

6) Remember that WoJ about putting things into the first book that will eventually be used, well what about using lightning to cast a spell?  We've never really gone back to that one (except I believe for Elaine being able to charge her equivalent of Harry's shield bracelet by plugging it in -- need to find reference for that).  In any case, one thing that an aircraft carrier typically has is a stable nuclear engine -- you know, one of those things that has enough power to let it go around the word a zillion times without refueling.   So----   Harry uses (up?) the fuel in the nuclear engine to empower a body that Bob inhabits and it goes off to fight Cthulhu.

7) ...maybe a bit a soul fire to for "powers of creation" in there, etc.

8) Finally, consider how the power of mass faith is so big that even the fake shroud has big mojo.   Then consider the Statue of Liberty.   It's probably got enough power stored in it to do something cool.   It might be a bit ghostbusters-2, but if Bob (or Bonnie) animated the Statue of Liberty, that could very well fulfill the "Jaeger" part.

TL;DR -- Bob is going to animate the Statue of Liberty and punch Cthulhu on the nose.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:33:26 PM by knnn »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »
I am one of those people that grdgingly does sleep. I often say if they ever invent a pill that would allow a person to forego sleep without the negative effects; I would take it.
Grudgingly going to sleep is quite normal. Grudgingly out of bed as well.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]