Author Topic: Unsolved Mystery Book11 Shaggy snacks  (Read 11344 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mystery Book11 Shaggy snacks
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 07:10:07 PM »
I don't know about surviving the nuke. But, the attack on Raith's manor as diversion is a good possibility.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 07:56:42 PM »
If I remember correctly, Morgan initially thinks that the skinwalker started tracking him when he went through Arizona or Nevada during his flight from the Wardens. He seems to think that the skinwalker is chasing him because he is wounded thus easy prey and to add a wizards power to his own.

Harry on the other hand leans towards the Shaggy is working for someone answer. He mentions the Shaggy was a diversion for Madeline to escape theory to someone (I think). Lara or Murphy maybe? I'm going to have to do a reread at some point soon.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
It was probably Lara or Luccio. They wer both there during the attack.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 02:16:05 PM »
It was probably Lara or Luccio. They wer both there during the attack.

You think Shaggy was working for Lara or Luccio? Or targeting/distracting them?

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 04:27:47 PM »

I think distracting Harry/Lara so Madeline could get away.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 07:42:37 PM »
  Someone suggested in an old thread that perhaps Shagnasty was the skinwalker that  Morgan nuked.  He survived it, and over time was able to reform.  However, it would provide a strong reason for him to be pissed off at Morgan.
  It was also suggested that Shagnasty's attack on Raith manor was to help Madelaine escape.  That is, she heard about Harry and Luccio visiting, and made a phone call asking for help.

APG
Due to the lack of memory on the Naag's part i'd disagree... but it's entirely possible one of his kids inherited his power upon his immortal death I suppose.. which reminds me of Grey...
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 08:13:36 PM »
Cowl.
Cowl is Peabody's handler, like it was Madrigal's handler.

So why was he interested in collecting copies of Die Lied der Erlking if he was in the same 'cell' of the Circle as Peabody and actively running him as an agent? Why not just ask him?

Just trying to deny the book to the other Heirs of Kemmler doesn't necessarily make sense, because his strategy was that it doesn't have to be him that summons the Hunt; he just wanted to highjack the ritual at the end.

As for whether the skinwalker Morgan lured into the atomic test was Shaggy, I have to agree that the fact it treated Morgan as essentially just a job to do rather than a personal vendetta suggests otherwise.

Six of them being locked up in the Well certainly weighs in favour of interpreting skinwalkers as among the beings who can reform after physical destruction, but it's possible previous Wardens who tangled with them simply found it easier to imprison them than put together sufficient energy to overwhelm their defenses by brute force. If the latter possibility is correct, that might actually be the difference between the "minimum security" central area and the peripheral tunnels.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:29:05 PM by Snark Knight »

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 12:07:45 AM »
I think Lara or Luccio was the one that Harry was discussing a theory with about Shagnasty and his motives for being at Raith Manor.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 07:05:39 PM »
So why was he interested in collecting copies of Die Lied der Erlking if he was in the same 'cell' of the Circle as Peabody and actively running him as an agent? Why not just ask him?

Just trying to deny the book to the other Heirs of Kemmler doesn't necessarily make sense, because his strategy was that it doesn't have to be him that summons the Hunt; he just wanted to highjack the ritual at the end.

I think that only makes sense if the whole thing is a ruse; Cowl and Mavra had the Erlking book all along, they release it into the wild and get the word spread, and hooray, the White Council and the other Kemmlerites start wiping each other out over it.

As for whether the skinwalker Morgan lured into the atomic test was Shaggy, I have to agree that the fact it treated Morgan as essentially just a job to do rather than a personal vendetta suggests otherwise.

I don't know about that, revenge being a dish best served cold and all; not going into a cackling gloating frenzy over getting to hunt Morgan down could just indicate that the thing is competent.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Bacchus

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 10:06:45 PM »
I don't know about that, revenge being a dish best served cold and all; not going into a cackling gloating frenzy over getting to hunt Morgan down could just indicate that the thing is competent.

the counter argument would be that based on how the nagalosshi treated Thomas would indicate that he would threaten and gloat and make it personal.   
Dresden pissed him off so he went out of his way to mentally destroy thomas and bragged about it to Dresden,

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 11:32:32 PM »
I think that only makes sense if the whole thing is a ruse; Cowl and Mavra had the Erlking book all along, they release it into the wild and get the word spread, and hooray, the White Council and the other Kemmlerites start wiping each other out over it.

If Cowl and Mavra were working together all along, how come Cowl hasn't just completed the Darkhallow somewhere other than Chicago by now? He's got all the pieces required.

Come to think of it, that's really a glaring question even if he isn't working with Mavra. He probably knows the Erlking summoning anyway from whatever copies he and Kumori tracked down prior to DB, and he had Bob long enough to get the Darkhallow instructions from him.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 11:49:19 PM »
Who hired Shagnasty?
Time travelling Dresden hired him. In the future, Dresden and the Nagloshi are in a buddy cop type story around book 19 with a working title of Shaggy and Harry Get A Trim.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 04:08:55 AM »
If Cowl and Mavra were working together all along, how come Cowl hasn't just completed the Darkhallow somewhere other than Chicago by now?

I do not think he has all the ingredients.  When Harry explains to Butters why the Darkhallow happened in Chicago specifically, he comes up with a whole bunch of necessary components, including the ancient Native American zombies summoned from the exhibition in the Field Museum (not easy to replicate), the old ghosts following the Erlking, and the way the boundary between Earth and the NN has been torn up in the Chicago area.  (Which is done in GP, either directly by Mavra or by Bianca under Mavra's tuition - iirc the black barbed-wire magic is never pinned down specifically to one or other of them, but either way it is a thing Mavra is doing as set-up that far back.  I suspect that is also why the Stone Table manifests in Chicago in SK.)

Come to think of it, that's really a glaring question even if he isn't working with Mavra. He probably knows the Erlking summoning anyway from whatever copies he and Kumori tracked down prior to DB, and he had Bob long enough to get the Darkhallow instructions from him.

One more piece of evidence that the object of the exercise is not to actually complete the Darkhallow at all, IMO.  Just use the prospect of completing it to lure a bunch of people into doing things that serve Cowl and Mavra's greater ends.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:24:54 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 04:11:11 AM »
Time travelling Dresden hired him. In the future, Dresden and the Nagloshi are in a buddy cop type story around book 19 with a working title of Shaggy and Harry Get A Trim.

Nah, the buddy cop story will be Uriel and Kemmler.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 08:20:38 AM »
I think a Toot and Lacuna story would be fun, weird, but fun.
Make Mine Butcher!