Author Topic: A weapon to kill an Archangel?  (Read 6410 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: A weapon to kill an Archangel?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 12:18:04 AM »
Dang, you know some stuff.  You're name isn't Robert Langdon, is it?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Drikonn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 11:13:16 PM »
While I don’t think it will actually make an appearance, I would love to see a reference to The Holy Prepuce. If anything would have had the blood of Christ on it, I think the leftovers from his circumcision are a safe bet. And that’s exactly the kind of thing Harry would encounter because it’s just that ridiculous that someone would try to weaponize it.

On a more serious note, it’s highly possible in my opinion that other major artifacts will become relevant. Judas’ Noose and the Denarii are a good example. I’m curious if David’s sling or the stone that felled Goliath might make an appearance for instance.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 04:08:49 AM »
Thought re: the Blood of Christ and the Spear of Destiny.

He was dead when they stabbed him.  Depending on how Spirit and Soul and Body and Resurrection work, that could make a huge difference one way or the other.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 04:25:12 AM »
Simple, take blackstaff, add medea's bodkin, you got Lance of Longinus. Also, take blackstaff and add Harry's steel atheme instead and you have gungir as it appears in Odin's grasp in Changes.(also became it's own thing minus any blackstaff or other power bonus via belief)

I'd bet dollars to donuts...
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »
Simple, take blackstaff, add medea's bodkin, you got Lance of Longinus. Also, take blackstaff and add Harry's steel atheme instead and you have gungir as it appears in Odin's grasp in Changes.(also became it's own thing minus any blackstaff or other power bonus via belief)

I'd bet dollars to donuts...

Only one problem I see with your theory:  Eb and Odin would have been wielding the Blackstaff at the same time at CI.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 12:02:45 PM »
Only one problem I see with your theory:  Eb and Odin would have been wielding the Blackstaff at the same time at CI.
That's the point of the parenthesized part, even after he'd have later given up the power/object itself, he could still keep  gungir as a believed object... like shroud with believed power vs real deal.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »
Dang, you know some stuff.  You're name isn't Robert Langdon, is it?

Nah, my degrees are all in actual fields, not "Symbology." (/snark)

(This thread happens to be squarely in my areas of knowledge; Ancient—Medieval history, and The Big Three of English Lit (Shakespeare, Milton, and Chaucer).) My knowledge (and interest) in History starts in Classical Greece and pretty much stops at the Magna Carta. The Crusades are a special interest, and a lot of that has to do with Arabic/Islamic/Christian relics and iconography, so a lot of my study was focused on that.

While I don’t think it will actually make an appearance, I would love to see a reference to The Holy Prepuce. If anything would have had the blood of Christ on it, I think the leftovers from his circumcision are a safe bet. And that’s exactly the kind of thing Harry would encounter because it’s just that ridiculous that someone would try to weaponize it.

On a more serious note, it’s highly possible in my opinion that other major artifacts will become relevant. Judas’ Noose and the Denarii are a good example. I’m curious if David’s sling or the stone that felled Goliath might make an appearance for instance.

Hmm. There's a lot of fun to be had with imagining what Biblical relics may show up. The sling is a good one. How about:

1. The Horn of Jericho (Used to destroy the walls of Jericho)
2. The Rod of Aaron (Egyptian Plagues; Aaron was Moses's front man)
3. The Ring of Solomon (Jewish mystic and occultist object, supposedly let Solomon command Djinn or demons. Fun fact: the depiction of the seal is what became the Star of David around the fifteenth century)
4. A lock of Samson's Hair (or, like, Delilah's scarf or something)
5. Maybe the crop Jesus fashioned to chase out the moneylenders?
6. How about a branch from the fig tree Jesus destroyed?
7. Betcha money that Hades has the Ark of the Covenant.
8. The sacrificial knife Abraham was going to use to kill his son (Medea's Bodkin?)

There's likely a ton of others, most of which I could find a use for, so I'm sure Jim could.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 06:07:13 PM »
Symbology, ahh..a Boondock Saints fan, goody.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »
No, that's Robert Langdon's "field" in the books.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 03:47:37 PM »
No, that's Robert Langdon's "field" in the books.

Yeah, it's a bogus field that Dan Brown failed to research correctly. Nobody really knows what he means, but it's pretty much iconography. Also literature and symbolism. And language. History. Whatever the plot needs, Langdon's got a PhD in it.

Symbology, ahh..a Boondock Saints fan, goody.

Also true :)

Offline Oracle of IHOP

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 04:18:33 PM »
Nah, my degrees are all in actual fields, not "Symbology." (/snark)

(This thread happens to be squarely in my areas of knowledge; Ancient—Medieval history, and The Big Three of English Lit (Shakespeare, Milton, and Chaucer).) My knowledge (and interest) in History starts in Classical Greece and pretty much stops at the Magna Carta. The Crusades are a special interest, and a lot of that has to do with Arabic/Islamic/Christian relics and iconography, so a lot of my study was focused on that.

Just logging in to say I thoroughly enjoyed your posts in this thread.