Author Topic: Nicodemus wants to be God  (Read 22091 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Nicodemus wants to be God
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 06:14:57 PM »
Yeah, look how well digging a pit for a werewolf worked out.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 06:16:34 PM »
Yeah, look how well digging a pit for a werewolf worked out.
It obviously was never built to spec though.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 06:48:31 PM »
On the other hand, just because you dig a pit to trap a boar, doesn't mean it cannot trap/hold a bear.

No but it wouldn't trap Godzilla...  The power scale between a werewolf, and Uriel is astronomical.  It's like the flame of a candle compared to a star.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 07:10:00 PM »
No but it wouldn't trap Godzilla...  The power scale between a werewolf, and Uriel is astronomical.  It's like the flame of a candle compared to a star.

But we're talking about Magic here.  We've been told that a Wizard can change reality it's self with it.  Uriel is part of that reality.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2017, 08:00:48 PM »
But we're talking about Magic here.  We've been told that a Wizard can change reality it's self with it.  Uriel is part of that reality.
First we don't know how much angels are part of reality.  Outsiders are outside of reality, and can enter.  Uriel, and the others may be elevated so far away from the mortal realm that they are effectively outside of reality warping abilities that wizards can do.

There are limits to magic based on the person who uses it.  Harry gets tired flipping over a car with magic.  Uriel can destroy galaxies with no effort.  There is a reason Mab is so feared, and her power scale is far below that of Uriel.  If the entire White Council  can't take on Mab, why would anyone be able to contain Uriel?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2017, 11:33:43 PM »
First we don't know how much angels are part of reality.  Outsiders are outside of reality, and can enter.  Uriel, and the others may be elevated so far away from the mortal realm that they are effectively outside of reality warping abilities that wizards can do.

There are limits to magic based on the person who uses it.  Harry gets tired flipping over a car with magic.  Uriel can destroy galaxies with no effort.  There is a reason Mab is so feared, and her power scale is far below that of Uriel.  If the entire White Council  can't take on Mab, why would anyone be able to contain Uriel?
Curiously i'm not sure how I feel on this one, on one hand i'd give it to the angels as outsiders, on the other I remember how damned worried Uriel was when Harry tried to give him a nickname.... but that could specifically be a starborn feature in Harry affecting things.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 04:07:14 PM »
GK,  I really do get what you are saying.  I'm still of the opinion that a mortal wizard DOES have the ultimate power. 
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 04:16:03 PM »
GK,  I really do get what you are saying.  I'm still of the opinion that a mortal wizard DOES have the ultimate power.
The ultimate power in the dresdenverse is the power to tell stories. A good story that catches on changes how the spiritual world manifests in the dresdenverse.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 05:57:15 PM »
The ultimate power in the dresdenverse is the power to tell stories. A good story that catches on changes how the spiritual world manifests in the dresdenverse.

I'm not so sure about story telling.  Though that is a kind of magic on it's own.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 07:24:27 PM »
I'm not so sure about story telling.  Though that is a kind of magic on it's own.
The Archive is based upon it and there is a reason Mab thinks the Grimm book is so important. Odin changed when his story changed.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 08:01:36 PM »
Well, now, that's not entirely true.

The archive is ALL writing, not just story-telling.
Mab had the Grimm brothers tell her story to keep them tied more closely to the mortal realm.
and Santa hasn't changed.  He carries a sword and is really buff.  Not the image Coca-Cola portrays really.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 08:20:06 PM »

Lets say you're right about Angels once being mortal, and their power grew.  Wouldn't that make them a wizard + about a billion times more power?  If they were mortals who obtained insane amounts of power, why would a mortal wizard somehow have power over them?  Logically speaking they would be basically super wizards.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »
Well, now, that's not entirely true.

The archive is ALL writing, not just story-telling.
All knowledge about creatures. Basically their story. There is a nice woj about the archives real purpose.
Mab had the Grimm brothers tell her story to keep them tied more closely to the mortal realm.
To tie themself to the mortal realm and how they express themselves there.
and Santa hasn't changed.  He carries a sword and is really buff.  Not the image Coca-Cola portrays really.
He is not the same odin anymore either or does he still want human sacrifices hanging on a tree? His story has changed because humans did so.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 09:54:22 PM »
I mean Vadderung probably wouldn't object  too much to a few ritualistic human sacrifices, those are worth quite a bit in God Currency- particularly in these days, where worship is running low (though between Marvel and Santa, Odin is probably doing better than most)

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2017, 02:18:26 AM »
The truly ultimate power in the Dresden universe is Jim Butcher.