Author Topic: Elaine / Kumori thought  (Read 16292 times)

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Elaine / Kumori thought
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 02:37:06 AM »
Kumori is someone obsessed with ending death. Someone who’s had a lot of loss or just one traumatic loss might become obsessed with that topic. Are there any characters who fit that?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 02:46:54 AM »
Kumori is someone obsessed with ending death. Someone who’s had a lot of loss or just one traumatic loss might become obsessed with that topic. Are there any characters who fit that?
Quite a few really, including Harry and Elaine as Orphans. I could see the Orphan factor come into play if it was Elaine.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 03:01:33 AM »
Quite a few really, including Harry and Elaine as Orphans. I could see the Orphan factor come into play if it was Elaine.
Maybe, but that’s kind of an old wound for her at this point, isn’t it? She’s in her 40s at that point? That’s a long time to hold on to that and still have it burn inside her so brightly.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 03:46:42 AM »
Maybe, but that’s kind of an old wound for her at this point, isn’t it? She’s in her 40s at that point? That’s a long time to hold on to that and still have it burn inside her so brightly.
We don't know how her parents died necessarily though. More tragic cases(say gunned down in alley) would tend to stick stronger in the mind.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 08:33:08 AM »
I have often believed that Harry killed Elaine's biological father and her adopted father at the same time.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »
Well, Demeter/Beckitt seems the most obvious one in terms of absolute obsession. But I don't think it would hurt Harry to find out he was Kumori - surprise, sure, but not hurt.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 02:34:35 AM »
Well, Demeter/Beckitt seems the most obvious one in terms of absolute obsession. But I don't think it would hurt Harry to find out he was Kumori - surprise, sure, but not hurt.
Oh, I never thought of her. Good call. I like that one.  I just go by what is in the books, ignoring Butcher’s marketing event q&a sessions.  I saw people say he said something about it hurting Dresden, but it’s not in the books and only what is in the books is set in ink. On that topic, though, I wish Butcher was better at putting information in the actual text rather than people relying on all this q&a talk.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 08:50:57 AM »
It could be in there; and we are not seeing how it.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 08:52:08 AM »
Oh, I never thought of her. Good call. I like that one.  I just go by what is in the books, ignoring Butcher’s marketing event q&a sessions.  I saw people say he said something about it hurting Dresden, but it’s not in the books and only what is in the books is set in ink. On that topic, though, I wish Butcher was better at putting information in the actual text rather than people relying on all this q&a talk.
Did Harry ever touch her? Becase she would not be able to hide her talent if he did. I believe they soulgazed so she is out.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »
Did Harry ever touch her? Becase she would not be able to hide her talent if he did. I believe they soulgazed so she is out.
I thought the soul gaze thingie was more a look into the type of person one is, not an open book of all their secrets?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 03:17:08 AM »
I thought the soul gaze thingie was more a look into the type of person one is, not an open book of all their secrets?
True but that kind of person needs to fit in the Kumori role somehow. Kumori is a council level magical talent and according to bloodrites touching someone like that is enough to recognise magical talent. I think that if becket had real magical talent Harry would have known by now. The talent is also part of who someone is so it would have shown in the soulgaze somehow especially for someone driven by it like Kumori.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
Have added my two cents on this one before but, despite originally thinking this, I think there is way too much circumstantial evidence suggesting Elaine is not Kumori.

Dresden is highly observant.  He has recognized Elaine by her height, her tone, the feel of her body, her smell, and has even had a telepathic type connection to her.  I'm certain he could recognize her aura as well.  Magic is also inherent to the individual and we've never seen someone use two separate languages to cast spells.  Dresden has encountered Kumori.  Has been held back to front by her.  Has sat at arm's distance to her.  Has seen her cast spells. 

It would be entirely against Harry Dresden as a character for him to overlook all of this.  For the same reason I would believe Cowl can't be someone we've viewed directly as well. 

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »
I don't really buy Beckett being Kumori but sandbagging her power by a couple orders of magnitude when appearing as Beckett.

She was in prison at the time Harry first saw 99%-sure-Kumori on stage handing out treacherous gifts at Bianca's masquerade. And while dipping out of prison for errands via the Nevernever is technically possible, I don't see why she'd go back voluntarily rather than go off the grid and start a new identity.

Also, if Beckett had Kumori's depth of power, I think Marcone would have been hurt a lot worse than just by selling / giving his secrets to the Denarians.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 03:32:30 PM »
Keep in mind Harry doesn't tell us everything he has figured out until the final confrontation. It is quite possible Harry knows who Cowl is but either can't prove it, or simply doesn't trust the Wouncil.

Maybe Victor Sells' daughter?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »

Perhaps Victor Sells' daughter?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---