Author Topic: Knight Ceremony [Cold Case Spoilers]  (Read 14980 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Knight Ceremony [Cold Case Spoilers]
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2017, 09:18:51 PM »
So if sex with WK is not necessary for Mantle transference then why did Mab do it? Was it a show of power? I know Raidem will say it is Murphy finally getting to do something that she has waited a long time to do and, while Mab certainly showed alot of corresponding emotional intensity with the act, I wonder if their could be other reasons for the "sexing."
It is about a stronger ritual. It is about possession. It is about claiming.

The ritual might not be strictly necessary but this is a special knight for a special time and Mab wants to bind him strongly to her so she goes for the really strong stuff. Ritual murder and ritual sex on a very special place.

Cold Case spoiler:
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 09:20:44 PM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »
I think that Maeve believed that everything was Mab's fault.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2017, 06:12:16 PM »
She said as much on DR just before she got ventilated.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »
If Ladies can't have sex; then, what were Lily and Fix doing? They seem to be more than friends.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 03:37:52 PM »
If Ladies can't have sex; then, what were Lily and Fix doing? They seem to be more than friends.

It may not be that they cannot have sex.  It's just that Carlos wasn't the right person.

On the other hand, Fix IS a Knight, so he may be okay.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 06:35:23 PM »
It may not be that they cannot have sex.  It's just that Carlos wasn't the right person.

On the other hand, Fix IS a Knight, so he may be okay.
Fix and Lilly knew what they could and could not do. Lilly complained about children she wanted and could not have.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »
Here are some relevant quotes from SK. First from when Harry is questioning the Mothers.
I held up a hand. "Hold it, hold it. Look, as I understand it, this power of the Summer Knight, his mantle, it can't just exist on its own. It has to be inside a vessel."
"Yes," Winter murmured. "Within one of the Queens, or within the Knight."

Then a few paragraphs later:
"How does the mantle pass on from one Knight to the next?"
Mother Summer smiled, but the expression was a grim one. "It returns to the nearest reflection of itself. To the nearest vessel of Summer. She, in turn, chooses the next Knight."
I know that these specifically refer to Summer, but for the sake of argument and in absence of other evidence I am going to proceed with the notion that the same applies to Winter. From these quotes we can glean a few things. Number 1, the mantles return to the nearest Queen. Number 2, that Queen then bestows the mantle onto the knight. Number 3, Mother Summer makes no mention of the previous knight having to die for the mantle to be released. I personally believe that there is a way for the Queens to take the mantle from a knight without requiring his or her death. Finally, no mention is made of needing the stone table for the transfer of the mantle. This is further corroborated by the fact that Fix was made the Summer Knight after the Stone Table was in possession of Winter. Also corroborated by logic because if the stone table was needed then the potential exists for the Knight mantle to be stuck within a Queen for months while they waited for the stone table to come back into their possession. This would result in an imbalance between the courts since one side does not have a Knight exerting their power.

Therefore, if we accept that the Knights Mantle could have been removed at any time and held by Mab and then bestowed onto Harry at a time of his choosing, why did she keep Slate alive (besides revenge) and utilize the stone table? My theory stems from two more quotes from a conversation in SK between Lea and Harry.

I shook my fingers and looked at my godmother. "Let me get this straight. Blood spilled onto the Table turns into power for whoever holds it. Summer now. But Winter, after tomorrow night."

Followed by:
She frowned at the Table, then began pacing around it, slowly, clockwise, her eyes never leaving me. "The Table is not merely a repository for energy, child. It is a conduit. Blood spilled upon its surface takes more than merely life with it."
"Power," I said. I frowned and folded my arms, watching her. "So if, for instance, a wizard's blood spilled there ..."
She smiled. "Great power would come of it. Mortal life, mortal magic, drawn into the hands of whichever Queen ruled the Table."
My theory is twofold (because Mab never does just one thing when she can accomplish more). First, Mab did not want to just pass the same mantle onto Harry. She wanted to purify or slightly change it. By killing Slate on the table the mantle was transferred to Winter as power. Mab then took that pure power (possibly without the taint of Slate or Maeve) and gave it to Harry as the Knight mantle. Second, killing the mortal on the table also yielded some additional power. Not as much as killing Harry or another wizard, but I am guessing that their was a power gain regardless. If this was then added to the Mantle during the transfer it could possibly give Harry an additional power boost to make him greater then Summer and better able to face what is coming.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »
Fix and Lilly knew what they could and could not do. Lilly complained about children she wanted and could not have.

Having children, and having sex are not the same thing.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
Personally, I was struck by how, when sealing a definitive bargain, Molly used a kiss.

Maybe the bigger the bargain the bigger the physical intimacy, with Harry's help-for-Knighthood being a particularly big bargain thus requiring serious intimacy (or maybe Mab just always uses that; the Lady-the-flirt a kiss, the Queen-the-mother sex).

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2017, 07:34:16 PM »
Personally, I was struck by how, when sealing a definitive bargain, Molly used a kiss.

Maybe the bigger the bargain the bigger the physical intimacy, with Harry's help-for-Knighthood being a particularly big bargain thus requiring serious intimacy (or maybe Mab just always uses that; the Lady-the-flirt a kiss, the Queen-the-mother sex).
Argh!? I hope Harry doesn't have to go at it with either Mother....
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2017, 10:21:44 PM »
Having children, and having sex are not the same thing.
In this day and age. Why would a very old style mantle know about these things?

It probably just goes off when things get critical. It can read the Ladies intentions so it just draws a line at some point. Some simple petting if no intercourse is intended is probably ok. She would know.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »
In this day and age. Why would a very old style mantle know about these things?

It probably just goes off when things get critical. It can read the Ladies intentions so it just draws a line at some point. Some simple petting if no intercourse is intended is probably ok. She would know.

LOL ... Yeah, well. 

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 09:33:35 PM »
Argh!? I hope Harry doesn't have to go at it with either Mother....
I meant Queen-the-mother to be opposed to Queen-Mother (with caps). We have the maiden, the mother and the crone, but confusingly the crone is called Mother Winter/Summer.

I was referring to Mab/Titania.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 11:40:30 PM »
There is a country song by Ronnie McDowell released in 1981 that disproves "older women" ideas.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 11:51:43 PM »
I meant Queen-the-mother to be opposed to Queen-Mother (with caps). We have the maiden, the mother and the crone, but confusingly the crone is called Mother Winter/Summer.

I was referring to Mab/Titania.
I think the queen is the 'active' one and the Mothers post is reserved for someone whose actually given 'birth' as a prerequisite, namely from the Knights mantle to spawn off it's own offshoot, ala Jolnir/Kringle.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.