Author Topic: Was Ascher telling the truth?  (Read 25320 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Was Ascher telling the truth?
« on: October 09, 2017, 06:18:55 AM »
Hannah told Dresden about how she defended herself (from rapists I think?), and then from the Wardens who came after her.  However she was holding a Coin of the great deceiver who had intimate knowledge of a Harry Dresden.  #1.  He wants to rescue women.  #2.  He understands using lethal magic in self defense #3.  He understands what it's like to have the Council breathing down your neck.  I have to ask if she was being honest with Harry, or if she was simply manipulating him per Lasciel's input.

What say you?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:24:51 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Was Archer telling the truth?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 06:30:12 AM »
I say autocorrect messed with your title. :P

Though I think she was telling the truth and that's part of why she was picked for Lasciel's coin.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:35:51 AM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 07:03:31 AM »
I don't think she has received the coin yet.   there is a definite change in personality of Hannah between  Hannah first arriving at the wherehouse  staging area for the assault on marcone's bank vault and when Michael replaced murphy as Dresden's + 1.
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 08:49:51 AM »
I don't think she has received the coin yet.   there is a definite change in personality of Hannah between  Hannah first arriving at the wherehouse  staging area for the assault on marcone's bank vault and when Michael replaced murphy as Dresden's + 1.
yeah you dont suddenly get guts to go buck naked in front of your team mates. aka she deffinetly get coin during the preparation of heist

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 08:58:35 AM »
Her history and gender were maybe factors in Nico hiring her. Play on Dresden's weaknesses.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 01:08:13 PM »
yeah you dont suddenly get guts to go buck naked in front of your team mates. aka she deffinetly get coin during the preparation of heist
The way she talks about Lasciel and the Denarians, it has to have been way more time than that. She talks about them finding her and accepting her and giving her a new home... that's not something that happens in a day and a half.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 01:49:42 PM »
The way she talks about Lasciel and the Denarians, it has to have been way more time than that. She talks about them finding her and accepting her and giving her a new home... that's not something that happens in a day and a half.
I agree, I think Harry had it pegged pretty good when he said that she'd probably had the coin for a few weeks.  but that doesn't mean that she wasn't telling the truth.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 02:16:33 PM »
I doubt she made it up entirely.  It's a poor liar who makes stuff up that can be easily fact checked like that.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »
I agree, I think Harry had it pegged pretty good when he said that she'd probably had the coin for a few weeks.  but that doesn't mean that she wasn't telling the truth.

I think she was very much telling the truth.  She killed with magic her rapists and the Wardens wanted to arrest her and ultimately behead her for being a warlock.  This made her run, this made her bitter against the White Council.  She wasn't wrong there, the same fate was waiting for young Harry save he had a unknown grandfather in high places who was willing to defend him and stand with him under the Doom... When she fled she then went among the half turned vamp resistance and made many friends... Problem there was when Harry ended the Red Court, those half turned became mere humans once more and those who were very old simply died of old age, she felt isolated and it made her bitter towards Harry.. This made her very vulnerable to be tempted by someone like Nic, who along with Laciel saw a perfect opportunity for revenge..   

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 02:25:05 PM »
Hold on... Let me just...

Quote from: groinkick link=topic=50223.msg2290983#msg2290983
What say you?
I say she was telling the truth... from a certain point of view.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 04:54:37 PM »
Hold on... Let me just...

I say she was telling the truth... from a certain point of view.
Ha! That was my first thought as well.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 05:25:21 PM »

Haha no, I was working from memory and forgot her last name lol.

Hannah had the Coin for a while I think.  The fireball that she had incredible control over killing the Fomor goons needed incredible control, and I believe Jim said that Lasciel was what gave her that precision.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:27:30 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »

Haha no, I was working from memory and forgot her last name lol.

Hannah had the Coin for a while I think.  The fireball that she had incredible control over killing the Fomor goons needed incredible control, and I believe Jim said that Lasciel was what gave her that precision.

All that says is she had the Coin post Changes...  So she still could be telling the truth..

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Was Ascher telling the truth?
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 09:08:07 PM »
I would argue that she is telling the truth.   After all, it is the fuel for her rage as demonstrated at the last fight.   You cannot get made like that over a lie you are telling your enemies. 

The other argument is story wise.  A strong theme in this series is that the white council is failing.   Not able to identify and protect young wizards is just another sign of this.  Not being able to identify when one was wronged and fix with justice is another.   Ascher is a poster child for the white council's failures. 

Having it all be lies adds nothing to the story and steals away drama.  So it must be the truth. 

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Was Ascher telling the truth?
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 12:31:48 AM »
Personally, my take on it is Lasciel was torquing her anger way too hard for her to be strategic about trying to lie her way into Harry's sympathies. She just wanted to burn him down on the spot, and was confident she could overpower him in a straight fight.

I mean, she was too stupidly overaggressive to even bring a shield spell to the fight. Deceptive head games seems like it would take another tier of clear thinking beyond what she already failed to show.