Author Topic: Skin Game Earth Magic  (Read 3802 times)

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Skin Game Earth Magic
« on: September 29, 2017, 08:27:38 PM »
So in Skin Game when Harry was talking to Murphy about the Genoskwa he mentioned that it used earth magic the same way the Forest People used Water magic. I did not understand what he meant so could some go into more details if they know because all I got was that it was a form a defense but I do not see how that could not be water or air magic as well.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
Re: Skin Game Earth Magic
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 11:08:56 PM »
So in Skin Game when Harry was talking to Murphy about the Genoskwa he mentioned that it used earth magic the same way the Forest People used Water magic. I did not understand what he meant so could some go into more details if they know because all I got was that it was a form a defense but I do not see how that could not be water or air magic as well.
Well, he grounded the magic out like lightning through the ground? That's kinda electromagnetic/earth magic type stuff right?
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 12:43:39 AM »
Is it possible for Harry to mimic the big foot magics in some manner. It is always useful to learn from your enemy.
k moinuddin

Offline isoycrazy

• Conversationalist
  • Seeking Harry's Insanity to help make me Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 11:32:38 AM »
That would depend on how much power and control it takes to use it.

Offline sonwarrior

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 06:00:40 PM »
That would depend on how much power and control it takes to use it.
I'd always assumed he wouldn't be able to because of how critical belief is to using magic. The forest people would have a different way of viewing the world and a belief that different things should happen.

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 06:03:12 PM »
It seems from re-reading and other forum browsing that the Forest People/Genoskwa use magice in its most fundamental sense. The Forest People use water magic as manipulation disrupting magic and putting it back to place, while, if I am getting this right the Genoskwa uses the earth to disrupt energy into the ground. I wonder what fire and air would like at this level?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »
It seems from re-reading and other forum browsing that the Forest People/Genoskwa use magice in its most fundamental sense. The Forest People use water magic as manipulation disrupting magic and putting it back to place, while, if I am getting this right the Genoskwa uses the earth to disrupt energy into the ground. I wonder what fire and air would like at this level?
Fire purifies, so I imagine it just consuming offensive magics when put to the tasks. Maybe gathering momentum while absorbing incoming spells for strength. Water... Something similar to Carlos except not based on physics alone and maybe something like Mab's ice for an intentional mirror quality deflective shield. Also What LTW did on the hill top with the rain was water defense.

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 08:02:49 PM »
Fire purifies, so I imagine it just consuming offensive magics when put to the tasks. Maybe gathering momentum while absorbing incoming spells for strength. Water... Something similar to Carlos except not based on physics alone and maybe something like Mab's ice for an intentional mirror quality deflective shield. Also What LTW did on the hill top with the rain was water defense.
Wind is the toughest one because it normally would be redirection but water seems to fulfill that description so I am a bit stuck on that front.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 10:17:51 PM »
Wind is the toughest one because it normally would be redirection but water seems to fulfill that description so I am a bit stuck on that front.
Slips around person like leaf on the wind lol? idk.

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 11:36:24 PM »
Slips around person like leaf on the wind lol? idk.
Yeah I know I would say unseen force or manipulation of energy but that falls into water, but if air is intellect maybe it grants you perception, like the Sight except more specific but I am just throwing things in the air at this point. Sorry for the play on words.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 02:24:00 AM »
Yeah I know I would say unseen force or manipulation of energy but that falls into water, but if air is intellect maybe it grants you perception, like the Sight except more specific but I am just throwing things in the air at this point. Sorry for the play on words.
Take a look at airbender, it's a subtle difference between them. creating something that channels air has a.... a specific point of greatest effect followed by dispersion/decay, where as water flows in a wave keeping the full force along it's edge as it gathers momentum and then ebbs away. Iirc actually Ivy uses the same principle I describe above to disperse fire blasts from the denarians with far greater precision.
Although Elaine, who I account as a natural with Air, does actually uses a 'spider-sense' ring, to precog incoming dangers.
*ahh the difference is basically the difference of Energy vs Momentum. Momentum is Mass x Velocity, Energy is One half mass times Velocity, times Velocity again. So how they express themselves in the same relative usage is entirely different.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:56:49 AM by jonas »

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 02:38:46 PM »
Elements do seem to have duality among them so perhaps fire is similar to earth except instead of being redirected towards the ground it is towards other targets hopefully will we see this later in the series.