Author Topic: The Brute Squad  (Read 11316 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: The Brute Squad
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 08:24:15 PM »
Wasn't Dumorne an apprentice of Petrovitch's?

Yes.  One of my personal theories is that's why Petrovitch became Cowl. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 09:16:13 PM »
Wasn't Dumorne an apprentice of Petrovitch's?
Yup.  I'd assume that, given the description, it wouldnt be uncommon for members of the brute to get recruited by the Wardens.  They've always said that its a relatively small percentage of members that are actually suited to Combat.  And even with the wartime losses, this might still be the biggest the Council has ever been.  Per WOJ, in the old days a given nation was lucky to produce one wizard every three generations, back before the human population started to explode.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »
"Brute Squad" was just Bob referencing The Princess Bride, as far as I can tell. In my head, I picture them as heavy bruisers. I think, if there is a new "one," they'd be the wardens Ebenezer had with him in Turn Coat, when he was waiting for word on Morgan's location to go take him down. Basically, just combat veterans who know how to bring the pain really well. Since the other thread got me thinking about the Codex Alera, I'd compare them to Knights Ignus—devastating, but very small in number.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
"Brute Squad" was just Bob referencing The Princess Bride, as far as I can tell. In my head, I picture them as heavy bruisers. I think, if there is a new "one," they'd be the wardens Ebenezer had with him in Turn Coat, when he was waiting for word on Morgan's location to go take him down. Basically, just combat veterans who know how to bring the pain really well. Since the other thread got me thinking about the Codex Alera, I'd compare them to Knights Ignus—devastating, but very small in number.
Damn, all this time and I entirely forgot the term was only used on stage by Bob, I thought it had been mentioned by a council-member in SK or somewhere, but nope. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 08:00:40 PM »

I felt it was a reference to The Princess Bride as well.  Harry seems like the right kind of person to be on a Brute Squad.  Not the most skilled wizard but can hit really hard.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 03:51:32 AM »
With the caveat that nobody in power would trust him to be on the Brute Squad.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 10:06:40 AM »
Well, if you take that reference literally, the brute squad was just hired to get this one job done and it consisted of - I don't want to insult Fezzik, he's one of my favorite characters - people like Fezzik.  ;)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 06:37:36 PM »
With the caveat that nobody in power would trust him to be on the Brute Squad.

Well from my understanding of what a Brute squad is, they don't seem to be trustworthy people.  There is the Brute Squad from the Princess Bride, who were just hired thugs. 

There is the urban dictionary definition: 1. A group of the most challenging guys around, merciless conscienceless heavies just who beat people up into the service of a boss or king.

The dictionary definition of brute: a savagely violent person or animal

So Harry does seem like that to someone from the White Council.  He's the type they would call on when they really need help and are willing to risk bringing him on.  A person you call last, and with a great deal of hesitation.

Offline newfan09

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 01:22:30 AM »
Yes, they were. Everyone at Archangel was killed when it was attacked.

Everyone except
(click to show/hide)
  ;)
It might be nice to have brain damage. I already liked Jell-O.

Mo' magic, Mo' problems. -Jim Butcher

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 01:40:43 AM »
Well from my understanding of what a Brute squad is, they don't seem to be trustworthy people.  There is the Brute Squad from the Princess Bride, who were just hired thugs. 
Yeah, but do you really see the White Council getting together a bunch of untrustworthy people all the time?  I'm pretty sure the term was just Bob's sarcastic term for a shock troop squad or something like that, more official.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2017, 02:48:37 AM »
Everyone except
(click to show/hide)
  ;)
Buggerall, I've never seen it put like that, but if that is true, then by the gods, Harry needs to make inappropriate American Idol jokes when he finds out.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »
Yeah, but do you really see the White Council getting together a bunch of untrustworthy people all the time?  I'm pretty sure the term was just Bob's sarcastic term for a shock troop squad or something like that, more official.
Or it could reflect what Kemmler or Justin really thought about them.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »
Yeah, but do you really see the White Council getting together a bunch of untrustworthy people all the time? 

No, it was a sign of their desperation against Kemmler, imo

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 12:20:05 AM »
Want to bet if they did gather a group of untrustworthy magical users, that the only warden they would saddle with leading the would be Harry? That way if it fail as most would believe it would, instant scape goat.
k moinuddin

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 04:06:16 AM »
Want to bet if they did gather a group of untrustworthy magical users, that the only warden they would saddle with leading the would be Harry? That way if it fail as most would believe it would, instant scape goat.

haha you can be sure.  On top of that they would probably hope that one of them killed Harry.