Author Topic: Better Guns for Dresden and Co.  (Read 28047 times)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: Better Guns for Dresden and Co.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 06:31:53 PM »
Bacchus,

Unfortunately, with the WK mantle, he doesn't feel the harm being done, so he's not going to even think about it.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Bacchus

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 06:52:22 PM »
i don't know in his last adventures he had his forearm busted up and his calf shot through. hes got to know that his duster leaves huge gaps in protection.
  i was also annoyed that during his year of isolation he didn't have Thomas bring over a variaty of overly reliable firearms and thousands of rounds of ammo so he could train himself.
 i mean Murphy has been giving him crap about that for years.

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 11:36:51 PM »
The ideal weapon for Dresden I think would be something like a MP-7. Small, but better than a pistol.

Maybe a Cz-75 or G-17 for when he needs something even more basic.

And a Tavor for when he knows he is going into the shit. Like the fight on Demonreach. Or South America.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:39:09 PM by Shift8 »

Offline Bacchus

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 01:07:52 AM »
Those are all 9 mm right? I'd be thinking more extreme calibers he's 6'9" and super strong so he could easily control guns that only bodybuilders could effectively use. He would also have no problem hiding them under his duster.
 how about a sawed off 12 gage with slugs shot one handed for close quarters

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 01:43:08 AM »
Those are all 9 mm right? I'd be thinking more extreme calibers he's 6'9" and super strong so he could easily control guns that only bodybuilders could effectively use. He would also have no problem hiding them under his duster.

The pistols were 9mm. The Tavor is 5.56x45 and the Mp7 is 4.6mm or something weird.

Strength really does not help weapon control much, and to the extent that is does, most massive rounds are still impractical for self defense use. There is also the issue to magazine capacity.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »

One of the criticisms Murphy had of Harry's revolvers was that there were only 6 shots.  Using a sawed off 12-gague would not help that.

I'm thinking more like a S&W 915.  9mm with 15 in the magazine and one in the chamber gives him 16 shots.  Carry a couple of extra magazines and your set.

Granted 9mm doesn't have the stopping power of a .45, but it's still pretty good for the trade off of mobility and availability.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline prince lotore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »
personally I never understood why there isn't a weapons master for the wardens. If they all get a sword and a cloak why not a set of armor or shield like swat or at the very least someone independent that makes stuff like the guy that made daredevils suits in the netflix show
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a
ride!

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »
One of the criticisms Murphy had of Harry's revolvers was that there were only 6 shots.  Using a sawed off 12-gague would not help that.

I'm thinking more like a S&W 915.  9mm with 15 in the magazine and one in the chamber gives him 16 shots.  Carry a couple of extra magazines and your set.

Granted 9mm doesn't have the stopping power of a .45, but it's still pretty good for the trade off of mobility and availability.
Honestly I dont think the weight advantage of a 9mm vs .45 is going to register on a guy Harry's size.  For Murphy or even the average sized man it becomes more pronounced (and there will almost always be more rounds per magazine). 

Personally Ive always thought Harry's future gun needs to be a Taurus Judge so that he'd have a pistol with .45 rounds AND the versatility of .410 shotgun shells (and all the various wonders you can load into shells).  only 5 shots, but that does offer some fun thematic connections to a pentagram. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »
I like the .410 with 5 shots.  However, if he uses any of those special rounds he risks the weapon and not being able to use it any more.

Though with his diamonds, having enough weapons shouldn't be a problem now.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »
I like the .410 with 5 shots.  However, if he uses any of those special rounds he risks the weapon and not being able to use it any more.

Though with his diamonds, having enough weapons shouldn't be a problem now.
Not at all, this is an actual functional firearm that exists today, it has no unusual danger of blowing up or being damaged (they have specially designed rifling to hold up to firing shot). 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 03:32:25 PM »
Not at all, this is an actual functional firearm that exists today, it has no unusual danger of blowing up or being damaged (they have specially designed rifling to hold up to firing shot).

Ohhhh ...

No, I was taking about the special rounds that Harry learned of from Kincaid.  Like the SUPER hot ones that Harry used on DR in Small Favor.

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 04:00:56 PM »
Ohhhh ...

No, I was taking about the special rounds that Harry learned of from Kincaid.  Like the SUPER hot ones that Harry used on DR in Small Favor.

These are also real, if you mean the flame ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKxmKFld5DA
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:02:41 PM by Shift8 »

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 04:05:19 PM »

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 04:09:33 PM »
There are no two ways about it. Harry needs a Tavor. :)

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »
he is better with sawed of rifle as his heavy option probably sawed of sniper with self made ammo and enchantment to magnify sight maybe with slow time effect so he can fire in emergency