Author Topic: When is a Story not a Story?  (Read 5491 times)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: When is a Story not a Story?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »
true, but until that happens I think it's now a permanent Drive of the Lady (whomever is wearing the Mantle).  Fae Mantles are very Obligation Based, it's entirely possibly that failing or neglecting that promise will have a very tangible effect on the Court's Power.

Perhaps Molly will be the catalyst for a changing of the guard at the outer gates.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Maria_Dragon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 11:57:01 AM »
There are several, but antoher you may not know, for future reference ....

TWC - the white Christ

I wish another term became the norm for this. I know it isn't anyone's intention on here, but it always sounds racial to me. And that makes me uncomfortable as a Christian, because we are all God's children. I know you didn't intend anything negative.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »
I wish another term became the norm for this. I know it isn't anyone's intention on here, but it always sounds racial to me. And that makes me uncomfortable as a Christian, because we are all God's children. I know you didn't intend anything negative.
I mean, it's a term directly from the novels, which also have an ambiguously moral White Council and an evil White Court of Vampires, none of which have any particular superiority. We are using it specifically to avoid any direct connected with any real-world religions.  TWG is not "God" in any real-world sense, it is just a character in a fantasy novel existing alongside dragons and pagan deities and spiritually manifested children's toys.  It happens to be the sponsor of the world's equivalent of Paladins, but it doesnt have to have any more implication on real-world Christianity than Stan Lee's One-Above-All or AO of Forgotten Realms. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Maria_Dragon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 03:30:21 PM »
I am not accusing Jim or anyone on this forum of being racist. There are many characters of different races in the books who are heroes; the books do not advance hatred. I am a fan. I do, however, cringe a little whenever I read the phrase "the White God" or "the White Christ" and I would like to explain why. There is a problem in white supremacist circles where they insist that they are God's chosen people and that Jesus was unequivocally white. I don't think you believe that nor do I think anyone here is suggesting that.  However, I think that, for some of us, that history can feel more raw and closer. I am fairly young (in my thirties). I am an active volunteer in my local branch of the NAACP in North Carolina where I live. An old woman earlier this week began crying at a meeting because the events in Charlottesville reminded her of her 5 friends who were murdered by the Klan. For me, despite knowing that it isn't the intention, I cringe a little at the phrase "The White God" and "The White Christ." I suspect that I am not the only person who has ever felt this way. I don't know what to suggest for a replacement term. "DF-verse God" is clunky, though honestly that is how I think about it in my head.