Author Topic: Has anyone put Nic's plan togther?  (Read 8927 times)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone put Nic's plan togther?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 06:49:14 PM »
What if Nick's plan all along was to prevent Mab from turning over the defense of the Outer Gates to someone else?

Gotta remember that Nick was around 1,000 years ago when, by some theorists, Winter took over the Defense of the Gates.

What if Nick sees the writing on the wall, so to speak, and would rather keep Mab in place as the defender?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 03:06:16 AM »
I'm sure Anduriel wouldn't like his host getting that powerful, true - but I don't think someone without inherent use of magic could do enough necromancy to work the Darkhallow, either.
That might cover Nick personally but not some of the other denarians.

And I think there is another reason. The fallen in the coin can effectively filter and or distort the information received by the host. Harry's words to Hannah seemed to be affected that way.
Anduriel might manipulate him about tactics-level decisions for expediency and to shape an even more corrupted host (like 'kill your daughter for the sake of the mission') but I don't think it follows that Nic is duped about the broad cause they're working toward.

I think from Nic and Deirdre's dialogues, the general outline of their thinking is pretty much analogous to how Cowl rationalized pursuing the Darkhallow (presumably because Kumori was within earshot) - the established order is so fragile SOMEBODY is going to succeed in overturning it, so it might as well be the less bad option. I think the Denarians who willingly cooperate with their Fallen believe Hell's apocalypse stands the best chance of averting the even worse Outsider version, so they're gathering power for that cause. The Archive's functions in coordinating the Oblivion War could easily have been adapted to tracking down Outsider cultists for assassination, and Hades was quite open about confirming the artifacts were weapons.

The plague plot in DM might even have been connected somehow - perhaps culling back the mortal population would have hurt their rivals (fewer summoners for Outsiders, less food for the Red Court, fewer practitioners for the Fomor to kidnap for their plans) in addition to the vague description that the Denarians get stronger by spreading suffering.
The fallen are deceivers, I do not think Nicodemus is really in control of anything now unless Anduriel lets him. He might have had some grandiose scheme and Anduriel offered his help but by now everything he does is because it fits in Anduriels nature and goals.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 08:13:41 AM »
The fallen are deceivers, I do not think Nicodemus is really in control of anything now unless Anduriel lets him. He might have had some grandiose scheme and Anduriel offered his help but by now everything he does is because it fits in Anduriels nature and goals.
A while ago there was a debate about the possibility that Nicodemus is Nemfected and that Anduriel now wants to get rid of him.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 02:14:15 PM »
::Puts on Tinfoil Helmet::

Nic expects to become a Saint.  But this just means Favored of the Current Management of Heaven, and I think he wants to engineer a Change in Management. The current management is being stupid, it's risking all of Reality to preserve this silly thing called Free Will, a trinket some Creator gave to the Mortals.  Said Free Will is a Danger to all Reality, as it is the literal Key that allows Outsiders (beings not from the Universe and so Not bound by it's Rules) in, at which point they want to destroy everything.  Idiotic risk.  So he's more or less set out to do the very thing that Titania exists to prevent Mab from doing. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 03:49:14 PM »
Q - What it he's NOT working for a change in management.

What if he and Anduriel are actually working on being redeemed, but figure that they have to DO something really HUGE to be thought worthy?

We know Anduriel was cast into Hell, maybe he's convinced that just saying he was sorry isn't enough, but now that he's back in the mortal realm, he has a chance to get back.

That would be a twist.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 04:55:26 PM »
Q - What it he's NOT working for a change in management.

What if he and Anduriel are actually working on being redeemed, but figure that they have to DO something really HUGE to be thought worthy?

We know Anduriel was cast into Hell, maybe he's convinced that just saying he was sorry isn't enough, but now that he's back in the mortal realm, he has a chance to get back.

That would be a twist.
I kind of think that was specifically addressed in the events of SG.  They (or maybe just Nic?) were offered that option by Uber-Michael at one point and seemed to very specifically Choose (Capital C) otherwise.  Not to mention if that brand of Redemption were his goal, the Nose-flick was particularly ill-advised... :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 05:09:56 PM »
I kind of think that was specifically addressed in the events of SG.  They (or maybe just Nic?) were offered that option by Uber-Michael at one point and seemed to very specifically Choose (Capital C) otherwise.  Not to mention if that brand of Redemption were his goal, the Nose-flick was particularly ill-advised... :P

No, the Denarians, not the fallen were offered redemption.  I think Nick AND Anduriel want redemption.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 08:38:13 AM »
Nic expects to become a Saint.  But this just means Favored of the Current Management of Heaven, and I think he wants to engineer a Change in Management. The current management is being stupid, it's risking all of Reality to preserve this silly thing called Free Will, a trinket some Creator gave to the Mortals.  Said Free Will is a Danger to all Reality, as it is the literal Key that allows Outsiders (beings not from the Universe and so Not bound by it's Rules) in, at which point they want to destroy everything.  Idiotic risk.  So he's more or less set out to do the very thing that Titania exists to prevent Mab from doing.
This. Nic really believes that TWG is the ultimate evil. Deirdre did too and she was certainly shaped by him. I mean she sacrificed herself. That's huge.

I still think that Nic might also be Nemfected by now. From the Outsider pov, he has a point. That makes him an enemy and a juicy target.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
This. Nic really believes that TWG is the ultimate evil. Deirdre did too and she was certainly shaped by him. I mean she sacrificed herself. That's huge.

I still think that Nic might also be Nemfected by now. From the Outsider pov, he has a point. That makes him an enemy and a juicy target.

No need for infection, he is under the power of one of the Fallen, if he rejects the partnership now there will be great consequences to him, possibly a fate not unlike the mortals who were half vamp with the Red Court died.  Nic is over 2,000 years old, he'd turn to dust among other things..

Offline Bergi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »
So my really wild guess about Nic:

Nicodemus was a very powerful wizard, when TWC was walking on earth. One day he kills a strange being which loses a coin, which he picks up. He gains a shadow and then tries to get rid of it. This leads him to meet TWC and become friends with him like Harry and Michael.

During their travels he learns about a powerful spell using 5 items from a dying man. Later he uses the spell, sacrifices his best friend and saves the day. But he is devastated. He wants to hang himself, he hears his neck snap and opens his eyes to find a smiling Uriel standing in front of him.

Uriel tells him that it is not his time yet. The spell he learned must be preserved and the knowlegde may never be spread to more than one person. Because the Archive exists it can never be written down so it can only be passed oral. The second problem is Anduriel who know the ritual too. Coins just hidden somewhere just reappear so Nicodemus has to keep the coin and serve as a human seal for him. To not  lose his sanity Nic is no longer able to use magic [Note: Harry fell under Lashs influence when he was flinging around large chunks of magic].

The noose is a curse for Nic and not the people around him. He cannot find his final peace and the spell is powered by killing one person a year in a cruel way. Nicodemus is furious and if he has to live forever until he can pass on the spell and die, he can at least fight those who did this to him.

Note about Anduriel: The shadow is created by using the small amount of magic the shadow inhabits in Nicodemus head.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »
1 He avoids magic due, imo to his knowledge of N and the taint.
2 Forgot one key point, when Nic gave up magic he gave up his... not sure the word, But if stature is tied to importance/power level, then when you make comparisons Nic hasn't any. When I say gave up, I mean he broke his promises and it largely fled him as a result.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Dashkull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 05:00:43 PM »
Yanno, my first reaction about a nic/Mavra team up was meh. But I could see Nic thinking the only real hope for reality is banding the powers of "dark" together to fight the incursion from outside. After all, the gates are protected by Mab.

If he was working from that line of thinking, it would more or less explain all of his actions. He has had 2000 years to snatch up power, but he doesn't seem to go in for controlling or toppling governments, he could probably own most of a continent by now if he wanted to. But in the last ten years he has made a play for power from the plague curse, the archive, and the artifacts in the vault. Certainly sounds like he is accelerating his grab for power.

He knows a war is coming and it even sounds like we know what side he is on. It would be precisely within his character to think that he is realities only hope, and uniting other powers behind him (dark ones obviously) is how he can do it. And if he happens to come out of it with enough power to make himself god-king of the universe in the aftermath,
So much the better.