Author Topic: The Mothers' Cottage and Earth...  (Read 20234 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: The Mothers' Cottage and Earth...
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2017, 01:32:16 PM »
And if your interpretation were right, then Titania and her retinue would have known Mab didn't have the mantle, because if she did, it would have already been sacrificed on the Table in the south.  The whole plot of SK wouldn't work.
Not at all, that assertion is assuming that Titania would somehow know the full goals of Aurora's plan while still mis-attributing it to Mab. It's not like Sacrificing the Knight Mantle on the Stone Table was the only possible Goal of stealing it.
I think we've reached the ATD point.  We both think the other person's interpretation doesn't make a lick of sense. 

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2017, 02:37:51 PM »
I think we've reached the ATD point.  We both think the other person's interpretation doesn't make a lick of sense.
Agreed   8)

It's been a ton of fun though
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2017, 03:49:51 PM »
Let me jump in here.

As I understand it, 90% of the population live in the north.
We know that the Fairy, at least partially, depend on humankind's belief for their existence.

What if, during Northern Hemisphere's Winter, Winter has 9 times the power they have in the South.  And the opposite for Summer.

This doesn't mean that weather or seasons are any weaker in the south, because weather and the seasons are global.  But the power that either court can bring to bear is greater when they are in power in the north.  And that smaller power base in the south keeps them in the game

At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2017, 06:10:45 PM »
Let me jump in here.

As I understand it, 90% of the population live in the north.
We know that the Fairy, at least partially, depend on humankind's belief for their existence.

What if, during Northern Hemisphere's Winter, Winter has 9 times the power they have in the South.  And the opposite for Summer.

This doesn't mean that weather or seasons are any weaker in the south, because weather and the seasons are global.  But the power that either court can bring to bear is greater when they are in power in the north.  And that smaller power base in the south keeps them in the game
That's more or less what I was suggesting, with the caveat that both Courts have an equal base power available to them, and the varying level of power is supplied by humanity.  With that base power level, the difference in the Courts would never be anywhere near 90%. 

Quantus and I agree that the Courts are equal in seasonal power all year long.  The difference is, I think they get an additional bonus from humanity that is based on humanity's perception, which makes one Court stronger than the other on a global scale for six months; he thinks they're equal in total power, and the fluctuation occurs only where they happen to be standing at any given time. 

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2017, 10:11:51 AM »
Do people really believe in summer less during the wintertime?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2017, 12:06:23 PM »
Do people really believe in summer less during the wintertime?
Short question, long answer.  I'll spoilerize the background on the theory, which folks can read if they want the details.

(click to show/hide)

The power provided by humanity is attributed to the current season, which is what humanity is most concerned with, I.e. the weather affecting their daily lives. 

But, humanity also worries about the seasons before they arrive.  They start preparing for the winter long before it comes (Lord knows Winter can take it's sweet time coming), and start planning for planting and harvesting times long before it's time to work.   That shifting in humanity's attention coincides with the shifting of power between one Court and the other.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2017, 12:29:52 AM »
We sometimes see characters speculate about what nastiness might be found in the point in Faerie that corresponds to a given point on Earth.  For ex, Nicodemus warned Harry that he really wouldn't like what lay on the other side from Demonreach.  Usually there is some correspondence, as much symbolic as practice, for ex:  the royal hall of the Erlking lines up with a Bass Pro shop, IIRC.

But we don't see much speculation about the inverse.  For ex, what on Earth matches up to Arctic Tor?

Where would you find yourself if you opened a Gate from the Mothers' Cottage in Faerie to Earth?  (Not that I recommend performing the experiment.)
its very obvious the Cottage on DR and the mothers are one and the same. When Harry joins MS on the rock, which is in the same spot as the lighthouse, it allows them to travel to the outergates. Evidence the sleepers and the dreamers(outsiders wanting in) are one and the same?
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Bakoro

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2017, 04:51:41 AM »
its very obvious the Cottage on DR and the mothers are one and the same. When Harry joins MS on the rock, which is in the same spot as the lighthouse, it allows them to travel to the outergates. Evidence the sleepers and the dreamers(outsiders wanting in) are one and the same?

The Mothers are powerful enough to port around basically wherever they want. Even in Changes it seemed like Vadderung was powerful enough to make an item that opened a wormhole directly from Chichen Itza to Chicago. The Mothers can open a Way from their hut to, anywhere essentially. I don't think anyone can got to the Mother's place, or even find it, unless they want it to be found. I don't think Harry really just stumbled upon them in SK, more like they manipulated the NN so Harry would find them.

Knowing the Merlin, it *could* be that he was just that well-connected that he got a shortcut on his island to see them, but it would be by their Will. Now I could see DR having a shortcut to the Outer Gates on it, that would be awfully convenient.

Let's be real though, if there's any sure-fire Way to get to the Mother's place, it's to use a copy of *Who Framed Roger Rabbit*.