Author Topic: Senior Council Magic Speciality  (Read 8689 times)

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
Re: Senior Council Magic Speciality
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 07:49:07 PM »
I cant grab the direct quote right now, but fwiw a recent WOJ clarified that the previous Gatekeeper was Alighiero di Bellincion (who's son was famous as the Author of the Divine Comedy including Dante's Inferno) who historically lived from 1205 to 1283(ish)

... As soon as I saw that, I had to Google it. It seems that comes from the new RPG, so it's not quite WoJ? Or was it confirmed elsewhere as well, maybe in an interview?
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 08:00:44 PM »
... As soon as I saw that, I had to Google it. It seems that comes from the new RPG, so it's not quite WoJ? Or was it confirmed elsewhere as well, maybe in an interview?
I /thought/ it was confirmed more directly in an interview or Q&A, but Im less sure than I was a moment ago  :-\
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Anubissama

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »
It was mentioned in the DF Accelerated, so it's not a WoJ as such, but supposedly he at least proofreads these things.

The current Gatekeeper is Wizard Rashid; many others have come before him, such as Alighiero di Bellincione, whose tales of the Outer Gates purportedly inspired his son Dante’s La Divina Commedia.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:33:12 AM by Anubissama »
DV Anubissama V1.2 YR5 FR(M) 3 BK++++: RP++++: JB+: TH+++: WG: CL++: SW +(-): BC+: MC+++: SH(Molly)+++++:

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 11:53:58 AM »
It was mentioned in the DF Accelerated, so it's not a WoJ as such, but supposedly he at least proofreads these things.
Hmm, ok, I'll Accept it for my head-cannon at least.  The standing description is that the RPG's are very close but considered like a parallel world or some such, but the divergences all had more to do with who knows what (in the RPG Billy knew /all/ the secrets, since he wrote it) or when they needed to hard-quantify power levels and things.  That sort of pure historic World detail strikes me as the sort of thing they'd not add without Jim's approval.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline isoycrazy

• Conversationalist
  • Seeking Harry's Insanity to help make me Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 02:35:35 AM »
If Martha Liberty lives with her great-grandchildren and their kids, could she be aware of modern tech far more than any other member of the SC?  Think about it.  Even if her blood don't have magical power like she does, they would be living pretty normal lives and be aware of things like the internet and twitter and facebook.

If her family is kind of like Murphy, vanilla (or in this case plain chocolate) but aware of the magical world, she could use her family to watch the internet for things and contact people she cannot directly speak with because her power would make the computer blow up.

And as seen in SG, if she has even a basic circle in the computer room, she could sit there and watch in a protective circle as her family member responds to e-mails and such.  The circle would keep in her magic and keep the computer safe.

Having contact via the internet would help with a lot of her contacts.

Offline phi1601

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 03:37:31 AM »
I don't know which video this is from, but I remember Jim saying that one of the Merlin's specialties is the coordination of wizards in combat via that mind chat spell we saw in TC.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 12:14:32 PM »
If Martha Liberty lives with her great-grandchildren and their kids, could she be aware of modern tech far more than any other member of the SC?  Think about it.  Even if her blood don't have magical power like she does, they would be living pretty normal lives and be aware of things like the internet and twitter and facebook.

If her family is kind of like Murphy, vanilla (or in this case plain chocolate) but aware of the magical world, she could use her family to watch the internet for things and contact people she cannot directly speak with because her power would make the computer blow up.

And as seen in SG, if she has even a basic circle in the computer room, she could sit there and watch in a protective circle as her family member responds to e-mails and such.  The circle would keep in her magic and keep the computer safe.

Having contact via the internet would help with a lot of her contacts.
It certainly would, though Im not sure it would be significantly different than a wizard simply having Vanilla friends.  Hell, Luccio studies Computer Theory as a hobby.  I think a wizards familiarity with modern life and technology has a lot more to do with personality than with access. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 06:53:17 AM »
After re-reading Turn Coat and Death Masks, I think that Martha Liberty has connections with the Loa spirits and perhaps other spirits of Voodoo lore. On a similar note the Gatekeeper appears to have sponsored magic from Winter since the colors he used on Molly, Billy and Georgia, are similar to that of Winter along with slumber, the effect it had on them being an aspect of Winter as well.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »
As far as him throwing spells around: Nothing he could do offensively would come close to registering on the scale of that battle, where formations count in the tens of thousands, and are doing battle well out in front of the Gates.  So him throwing any sort of offensive evocations is pointless tactically, but would still both distract and fatigue him, when he already has a much more specific and  critical role, one that nobody else can do (unlike offensive magic that Fae would do better anyway).

From Harry's glimpse at the battle, did we actually see the Sidhe using magic against the Outsiders? A landscape composed mostly of bones would make for abundant shrapnel to throw around with anything that can push on it.

For that matter, air support doesn't even have to be magical. Find a grenade that still goes boom under Nevernever physics, buy lots, drop them from above.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 06:10:40 PM »
From Harry's glimpse at the battle, did we actually see the Sidhe using magic against the Outsiders? A landscape composed mostly of bones would make for abundant shrapnel to throw around with anything that can push on it.

For that matter, air support doesn't even have to be magical. Find a grenade that still goes boom under Nevernever physics, buy lots, drop them from above.
::Devil's Advocate::
Well, supposedly what Harry saw wasnt actually anything close to what was going on, it was just the best analogy Harry's brain was able to come up with.  So I dont know how much we can trust his glimpsed details.
2015 Grid Daily interview
The Gate seems like something that, if it didn’t start with a consciousness, would develop it over time.  Is that the case?
It probably is, but the consciousness of an inanimate object like that is mostly like that of a mountain.  “I AM HERE.”  And it’s just increasingly aware of its here-ness. The Gate actually exists very differently than what Harry saw, but that’s how Harry has to interpret it because it’s far out in the Nevernever.  Your mind has to put things into terms it can understand or you go squirrely.  Harry’s got a very good mind for reducing things to simple ideas.  Which most of the Senior Council would say with a roll of their eyes.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 04:28:09 AM »
Its also worth pointing out that magic does not work well directly against Outsiders unless you are very experienced wizard or perhaps a Sidhe lord so on average magic is probably used sparingly and decisively during the siege.