Author Topic: PETA Protest  (Read 7277 times)

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
Re: PETA Protest
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 03:22:23 AM »
Peace Talks needs to come out just so we have something new to talk about.
I'll settle for another convention's Q&A session on Youtube. Sometime between people asking Jim "Why Chicago?" and "How did you think of Mouse?" we'll get some more juicy tidbits to obsess over.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
Until next spring?  That would be quite an impressive feat.

Impressive, but not impossible.  I've taken a close look at when Jim has announced he has finished writing The Dresden Files case books; going back to Small Favor, and then compared those dates with the actual publishing dates.  Sometimes there is a nine to ten month wait between Jim's announcement and a book's actual release, but a couple of times it's been three to four months, and it can also be somewhere in between those extremes. 

Of course everything depends on when Jim actually finishes Peace Talks and how much editing will be needed after that, and I imagine there are certain times of the year when it is easier for publishers to push a release date.  The last time I saw Jim answering questions about PT, he said it should be finished sometime in the fall or maybe it was late fall.  We will just have to wait and see, and keep arguing about Murphy, who is nemfected, debating if Lord Raith will recover, is Molly Mab or is Murphy Mab or will be Mab, who is the British prisoner, who fixed Little Chicago and is time travel involved.  Did I forget anything?     
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »
I'll settle for another convention's Q&A session on Youtube. Sometime between people asking Jim "Why Chicago?" and "How did you think of Mouse?" we'll get some more juicy tidbits to obsess over.
He answered both questions already so you will just get a variant of his previous answers.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 06:49:46 AM »
He answered both questions already so you will just get a variant of his previous answers.

What we need is for someone to ask Jim some original questions.  Of course the hard part is to ask Jim questions that could yield interesting and useful answers without being so direct and obvious that Jim would automatically reply, "I'm not going to tell you."  It just amazes me when I see someone ask, "Jim, who fixed Little Chicago?"  When I see someone asking an author to reveal a big secret like that it makes me want to smack that person over the head.

The people who ask questions like, "Why did you set the series in Chicago?" are much more forgivable, IMO.  For example, if someone just started reading the books a year ago they obviously haven't seen videos of Jim answering questions at other Cons and probably don't know about this forum, so everything is new to them.  Their ignorance is understandable and their willingness to delve into the details of the creation of the series is commendable, even if some of their questions are tedious to listen to.           

Groucho Marx

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 06:39:40 PM »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
Who here pretends to know the mind of the author?
I do. Heck, every time a theory comes through the pipes here, it's someone doing exactly that. Surmising they know enough to make an intuitive guess at the next logical leap. So... quite a few of us I guess.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 01:58:49 AM »
     On the subject of "beating as dead horse" (translation - "why are there so many repetitive thoughts posted here"), I offer these ideas:

By default, Simple Machines Forum software (SMF) has 'membership levels' based on post counts. On some forums, your post count might grant you greater privileges as it increases. Some people may post just to increase their post count in the belief that it will allow them to gain access to those privileges. Some people may believe that a high post count may get them into management.

Of the forums that I visit or administer, none of them are set up to allow either of these. Members have access to everything except the management tools. Those in management are placed there by the forum administrator.

Some may see the membership group (i.e. "Conversationalist", "Posty McPostington") as a goal to be reached. They may believe that such a level might give them more credibility. I generally ignore both the post counts and the membership groups, since they are basically meaningless anyway.

Some see these forums as a 'social media' outlet. They post here to keep in touch with others of like mind (fans of Jim Butcher).

I could be wrong, but I believe that one of the reasons for the Delete Monster (automatic purging of old topics) is to keep down the bloat on the website. SMF uses a MySQL database to store all of the text and links that we post. Controlling the size of that database might be due to a size limitation imposed by the web host. In this day and age, I cannot believe that any web host still does that.

I complained on another topic about people who quote an entire post directly under the post that they reply to. This only adds unnecessary bloat to that database. Do these people not know how to use a scrollbar? Are they doing that just to annoy me? I thought that people here were adults.

I generally log into jimbutcheronline daily to see what might actually be new. I get more use out of the Mark Read button than any other feature on this forum. Theories and Wild Ass Guesses seldom produce actual information about the published stories or their backgrounds. Theories and Wild Ass Guesses about stories that have not been published are as useless. Who here pretends to know the mind of the author?

::) :-\ ::)
BTW, that's not very nice ;)
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 02:46:22 AM »
It's funny because people generally ask the same questions every single time, wasting time for those of us who want new info.  Originally, I thought they were doing it because it's just a common question, but it happens way too often to be mere coincidence. Rather, I think that  there are some fans who just want to hear the same story in person.

I don't blame them. I'd kill to have Jim tell me his witch doctor story in person.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 04:30:34 AM »
It's funny because people generally ask the same questions every single time, wasting time for those of us who want new info.  Originally, I thought they were doing it because it's just a common question, but it happens way too often to be mere coincidence. Rather, I think that  there are some fans who just want to hear the same story in person.

I don't blame them. I'd kill to have Jim tell me his witch doctor story in person.

Not everyone has been reading these stories since 200_ (fill in the blank).  For example, I loaned someone at work Storm Front about a year and a half ago, she started buying the books and just finished Changes a couple months back and is now reading Side Jobs.  People in that situation don't know why the stories are set in Chicago, usually don't know about this forum and haven't watched YouTube videos of Jim answering questions at other Cons. 

There was a time if you went to a Science Fiction or Fantasy convention you were pretty much considered to be an expert and or fanatic about certain movies, TV series, books or comics.  This assumption was usually true.  Today these Cons have become a big business and promotional tool and there are so many of them they allow many more casual fans to see their favorite actors, directors, authors and other creative talents.  So yes, while it has and will continue to be tedious to listen to some (maybe many) questions that everyone here knows the answers to, know that most people who attend the Q&A's with Jim aren't as knowledgeable about the Dresden Files as you are.

The real reason we are currently going over a finite number of topics is a factor of the time between books and to a lesser degree where we are in the overall story.  If Peace Talks had come out January of this year we would certainly have new topics to discuss.  Also, I think the structure of the last two books has contributed to the lack of new topics.  Cold Days was a disarm the bomb in X amount of time story.  I think I could compare CD to the movie Speed.  We didn't learn about Keanu Reeves childhood, he didn't bond with the bad guy like in Point Break and he didn't start dating anyone.  It's was just non-stop action and fun.  Being a novel Cold Days did give us some personal drama, but it's was as if the rest of the outside world had been put on hold.  Lara was getting more dangerous but we didn't see her, Marcone was off somewhere; no that was Ghost Story, but he's not in CD and the White Council had their own problems and weren't in Chicago.  Even the new bad guys; the Fomor, weren't a factor in this story.  We did get a big new development at the end with Molly becoming the new Winter Lady and Harry was forced to stay on the island, but we were left wondering what it meant as well as what would happen next.  Skin Game continued the same pattern as Cold Days.  Harry was handed this seemingly impossible task and only through clever negotiating was he able to bring along one person to help him with it.  Fortunately, we got some knew interesting characters and old favorites to interact with Harry, but until the scene with Marcone and Mab, once again the rest of the world was put on hold.  One more thing to note about both CD and SG; as far interpersonal relationships go, they both featured continuing tension in the relationship between Harry Dresden and Karrin Murphy.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing; though many might disagree with me, but it's not really something new and different.  People have been talking about Murphy and the Harry/Murphy ship for a long time. 

I think once the story arc rejoins the rest of the Dresden verse it will open up many new avenues of discussion.  Plus, I suspect there will be more reveals about issues that have been simmering for a long time.  This isn't a knock against Cold Days or Skin Game, it's just the way things have played out.   
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:53:17 AM by KurtinStGeorge »

Groucho Marx

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 10:11:30 AM »
I would have to agree that CD and SG were limited in furthering many minor characters stories. How long has it been since we have seen a mass collection of the White Council members? What is going on with Billy and Georgia?  We have heard from Thomas that Lara is grabbing power but haven't seen her in awhile. I hope that PT will address these issues.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 07:07:30 PM »
I would have to agree that CD and SG were limited in furthering many minor characters stories. How long has it been since we have seen a mass collection of the White Council members? What is going on with Billy and Georgia?  We have heard from Thomas that Lara is grabbing power but haven't seen her in awhile. I hope that PT will address these issues.

I completely agree. I can't wait for the Dragon Con vids to come out.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---