Author Topic: Weapons that can kill Immortals?  (Read 23383 times)

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons that can kill Immortals?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 10:24:58 PM »
If I remember correct, there are three weapons linked to Arthur. A sword, spear and a dagger. If the Knights have the sword, and the athame is the dagger, so where is the spear?
k moinuddin

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 10:29:26 PM »
Until recently? In Hades vault.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 10:54:15 PM »
Krull Glaive for the win.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 01:14:42 AM »
What Wyltok posted, that WOJ mentioned the swords, the noose, and the Blackstaff specifically.  It was back around the release of Changes, so none of the SG items would count, though worth noting that the shroud from DM is excluded while the Noose is not.  I personally give the Stone Table a pass on account of it being more of a Place of Power than a traditional Item of Power. 

Yup!  Thanks Wyltok.

Point is, the Blackstaff is *something else* when it comes to power, unlike the Athame.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 02:05:24 AM »
If I remember correct, there are three weapons linked to Arthur. A sword, spear and a dagger. If the Knights have the sword, and the athame is the dagger, so where is the spear?

It also occurs to me that there might be some (nasty) possibilities in combination of more ordinary technology and/or magic to deal with immortals.  IIRC, Bob told Harry something to the effect that you could kill an immortal (Maeve in that specific case) and mulch the corpse, and all you'd do (except on Halloween) would be to delay her return.

So suppose someone wanted to keep an immortal, say Mab for an example, down.  Assuming he managed to kill her in the first place, you could mulch the corpse, then put a tracer spell on the remains, or otherwise attach some kind of magic to tell you what the mantle was doing, and when it starts to bring her back...mulch her again before she can recover.  Or things along those lines.  If you really had it in for her, you could even make sure each successive death was a whole new agony, sort of like what she did to Lloyd.

No wonder Mab wants Bob's knowledge out of circulation...Bob told Harry that one of the early Council Merlins apparently knew about the Halloween effect, because he originated the custom of masks on Halloween as a protective ritual.  I wonder what ever happened to that Merlin, and if the Senior Council people might still know the truth?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:07:30 AM by LordDresden2 »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 04:30:02 AM »
Krull Glaive for the win.

Yeah, but didn't you have to be a prince and marry a special princess and pass fire between the two of you during the ceremony?  Then and only then  could you wield it... Oh yeah, you had to stick your hand in lava to retrieve it..  It's been years since I saw the movie..

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 12:38:27 PM »
It also occurs to me that there might be some (nasty) possibilities in combination of more ordinary technology and/or magic to deal with immortals.  IIRC, Bob told Harry something to the effect that you could kill an immortal (Maeve in that specific case) and mulch the corpse, and all you'd do (except on Halloween) would be to delay her return.

So suppose someone wanted to keep an immortal, say Mab for an example, down.  Assuming he managed to kill her in the first place, you could mulch the corpse, then put a tracer spell on the remains, or otherwise attach some kind of magic to tell you what the mantle was doing, and when it starts to bring her back...mulch her again before she can recover.  Or things along those lines.  If you really had it in for her, you could even make sure each successive death was a whole new agony, sort of like what she did to Lloyd.
I think at that point it would be easier to keep her alive but trapped, rather than repeatedly tracking down her corpse/energies that might reform almost anywhere in the mortal world or the NN (assuming it can start running after it realizes you are hunting it).
No wonder Mab wants Bob's knowledge out of circulation...Bob told Harry that one of the early Council Merlins apparently knew about the Halloween effect, because he originated the custom of masks on Halloween as a protective ritual.  I wonder what ever happened to that Merlin, and if the Senior Council people might still know the truth?
It was "second or third Merlin of the White Council" so Id assume s/he died over the years (half-death retirements cannot be the norm, right?).   

Fermilab.   Just outside of Chicago, a 3.9 mile PERFECT CIRCLE OF AWESOME SCIENTIFIC MIGHT!!! (muahahah)

There has to be a use for this, no?

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 06:15:00 PM »
if the Senior Council people might still know the truth?

Probably but i doubt they make it known they are aware of it because...  Mab and stuff.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 06:26:14 PM »
Fermilab.   Just outside of Chicago, a 3.9 mile PERFECT CIRCLE OF AWESOME SCIENTIFIC MIGHT!!! (muahahah)

There has to be a use for this, no?

That would make for an interesting (summoning)circle if anyone could imagine it. However, I think the delicate electronical components in it though would not respond well to any magic that used it.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »
That would make for an interesting (summoning)circle if anyone could imagine it. However, I think the delicate electronical components in it though would not respond well to any magic that used it.

/Ulfgeir
Only a problem if it is a Mortal using it...
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 06:51:16 PM »
Only a problem if it is a Mortal using it...

Someone as powerful as say Mab, or the Mothers, or Ferro might not even need a circle like that to summon something.  Might be what weaker things need.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 07:16:35 PM »
Someone as powerful as say Mab, or the Mothers, or Ferro might not even need a circle like that to summon something.  Might be what weaker things need.
I dunno.  On the one hand we've been told that theoretically circles are unnecessary because anyone sufficiently Powerful can Imagine one strong enough to all but Will it into existence.

On the other hand, there are hard&fast rules to how Power is quantified (barring trans-dimensional exceptions like DR), such as the fact that the material impacts the function of the Circle (Iron affects Fae, Blood can carry the most energy, etc. Also the perfection of the geometry affects efficiency. 

So I have to think that a 4 mile Perfect circle drawn in Pure Energy moving at nearly the Speed of Light would still prove Useful even to the upper-tiers of the NN beings.  I cant say for certain that it would allow them to do things they could not do otherwise, but Im confident anything that might call for it would be easier with Fermilab than without

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 04:54:39 PM »
I dunno.  On the one hand we've been told that theoretically circles are unnecessary because anyone sufficiently Powerful can Imagine one strong enough to all but Will it into existence.

On the other hand, there are hard&fast rules to how Power is quantified (barring trans-dimensional exceptions like DR), such as the fact that the material impacts the function of the Circle (Iron affects Fae, Blood can carry the most energy, etc. Also the perfection of the geometry affects efficiency. 

So I have to think that a 4 mile Perfect circle drawn in Pure Energy moving at nearly the Speed of Light would still prove Useful even to the upper-tiers of the NN beings.  I cant say for certain that it would allow them to do things they could not do otherwise, but Im confident anything that might call for it would be easier with Fermilab than without
Can you imagine the being that would take a 4 mile circle of containment?

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 05:57:58 PM »
Hmm, an idea, using the Fermilab circle, to focus lots and lots of energy (possibly built up from thaumaturgy) at one specific target... Basically have it be a capacitator for energy. Instant Deathstar...

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 05:58:48 PM »
Can you imagine the being that would take a 4 mile circle of containment?

Hecatoncheires