Author Topic: Generalist magical specializations  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Participant
    • View Profile
Generalist magical specializations
« on: May 06, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »
I usually much prefer to apply a generalist, jack-of-all-trades, and flashy, freeform, on-the-fly approach to magical abilities. Too much subtle, slow, or static magic bores me, and so do narrow power niches. So when confronted with the DFRPG magic system, my first urge would be to give priority to Evocation and Sponsored Magic abilities, and arrange specialization bonuses as evenly as possible, especially as it concerns Evocation elements. How is one supposed to do that, once they buy a few Refinement levels ? I suppose the way to go for the first few levels (say Refinement 5) would be to set up something like: Evocation: Elements (Air, Fire, Earth, Spirit, Water); Control (Air +1, Earth +1, Fire +1, Spirit +1, Water +1); Power (Air +1, Earth +1, Fire +1, Spirit +1); Thaumaturgy: Complexity (Transformation and Disruption +1). But I'm not sure how to proceed from there. Is it allowed to keep spreading specialization points as evenly as possible? What is more important for optimal uses of Evocation: power, control, or a balance of both? As it concerns Thaumaturgy, my first choice would be to give priority to Complexity improvements, so as to make it quicker and simpler to accomplish.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:42:47 PM by Wanderer »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Generalist magical specializations
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 06:06:27 PM »
Eventually, the pyramid will block your attempt to divide specializations equally. But I don't think it's worth worrying about; you'd need a pretty huge number of Refinements to reach that point.

A bigger problem, if you're at all concerned about optimization, is that the specialization system strongly rewards specializing.

For Evocation, control is better than power when you're attacking. For other spells, you probably want a balance of both.

Offline Wanderer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 06:59:37 PM »
Eventually, the pyramid will block your attempt to divide specializations equally. But I don't think it's worth worrying about; you'd need a pretty huge number of Refinements to reach that point.

At what point the pyramid system becomes a stumbling block? I have planned to open up the power level scale for PC all the way to 20-21 refresh and 70 skill points.

A bigger problem, if you're at all concerned about optimization, is that the specialization system strongly rewards specializing.

I know, but despite being an optimizer at heart, my generalist urges are stronger still as far as magic goes. So this is one area where I may be willing to sacrifice raw efficience to jack-of-all-elements concept a bit.

For Evocation, control is better than power when you're attacking. For other spells, you probably want a balance of both.

I suppose by other spells, you mean other uses of Evocation and Evothau, right?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 02:30:12 AM »
At what point the pyramid system becomes a stumbling block? I have planned to open up the power level scale for PC all the way to 20-21 refresh and 70 skill points.

7 Refinements gives you 5 +2s and 5 +1s. At that point, the pyramid stops you from increasing your remaining +1s to +2s.

Might as well ignore the rules, though; they're clearly there to stop excessive specialization, not the opposite.

I suppose by other spells, you mean other uses of Evocation and Evothau, right?

Yes.

Offline Wanderer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »
7 Refinements gives you 5 +2s and 5 +1s. At that point, the pyramid stops you from increasing your remaining +1s to +2s.

Might as well ignore the rules, though; they're clearly there to stop excessive specialization, not the opposite.

This seems good.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 02:23:55 AM »
i don't care much for the pyramid the other issue is you really don't need any thing except one element anyway they all do the same thing. Block, attack its all a matter of how you describe it you might as well simply have the skill called magic not try to increase the elements at all. Just describe the way the spell works and be done with it. It would certainly cut down on having to try to boost all your area of specialization. hummm i might try that.