Author Topic: Who uses novel writing software?  (Read 6126 times)

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
Who uses novel writing software?
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:48:28 AM »
Besides the usual popular word processors, like Apple's Pages and Microsoft Office's Word, are there any programs that help write novels?  I found one and thats Avenir.
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
Re: Who uses novel writing software?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:06:08 AM »
I don't know if this qualifies,
I use a voice to text program from "Naturally Speaking". It takes me from a 25 word a minuet two finger typist to a 120 word a minuet writer. the biggest problem is that I tend to get ahead of my story line and have to spend time blocking word groups together. Oh yeah the software occasionally get creative about what I say too, like substituting "Friends and lovers" for "Springs and Levers" in a tech article....
Regards,
Kevin

Besides the usual popular word processors, like Apple's Pages and Microsoft Office's Word, are there any programs that help write novels?  I found one and thats Avenir.
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 02:16:54 PM »
Here's one (and it's free!)

http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter.html
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 03:15:36 PM »
I just downloaded the spacejock software.  I haven't used it much, but it seems like it might be helpful to those outliner types.

I have been wanting to get that program called "Writer's Blocks".  It looked pretty interesting, but it's like 150 bucks.

Right now it's good 'ol Word, though.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline pj

• Lurker
  • If I'm not back by breakfast...call the president.
    • View Profile
    • Fromthebones
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:49:45 PM »
i use Storyist on the Mac.  Great piece of software, keeps everything neat and together.  Sheets for characters, notes, chapters and sections.

http://www.storyist.com

PJ

Offline 13x13

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Slacker by Birth, Genius by Choice
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 12:41:20 AM »
I use Scrivener for Mac.  I like it so far, helps with outlining.  It costs around $35, but I think it is worth it.

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.html

Offline redneckwitch18

• Conversationalist
  • Och Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 01:38:12 AM »
I used to have that "good old Word", but after a serious virus, I had to format my computer. Let's just say I got my microsoft word stuff for free and leave it at that. Now, I have to use that Open Office crap that likes to freeze up on my slightly reatarded computer so I use "ye old Legal Pad and pencil" (and my blog  :) I can't wait until I save up nough money for the new version of a different brand of something-of-the-other Office that can be converted to Microsoft Word documents whenever
Brilliance is fleeting, but stupid lasts a while.

http://mepreport.com/quiz/ttp.htm  
I'm a tartan podcast. lol

Read new posts when I remember!
http://novelist10.wordpress.com/

Offline Suilan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 03:02:17 PM »
I use the good old gray matter to keep track of plot and characters. If things get to complicated for my own brain to keep track of, they are probably to complicated for the reader too.

For notes and the manuscript, I still use the same old word processor I used for my papers back at Uni. If I had to use Microsoft Word, I'd be going nuts within a week.

Other than that, the most important thing to use is a USB stick where you keep different versions of the text and all the notes. I carry the stick in my pocket whenever I leave the house (in case it burns down while I'm away) or on my bedside table at night, in case the house burns down at night and I have to grab the stick and jump out the window. After each finished Chapter, I copy the lot onto a CD, and whenever I am visiting my parents or in-laws, I deposit the newest CD at their place in case some other unforeseen catastrophe happens at my place.

Did I mention my husband works as IT storage consultant and has been drilling me for years that anybody who loses important data has only himself to blame for?  :D

Oh, and of course a thesaurus, and -- since I am not writing in my native language -- a dictionary of collocations and a German-English dictionary. The collocations dictionary is a real book, the others online and on my computer.

P.S. Don't waste too much time on gadgets, just write the novel!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 03:42:27 PM by Suilan »
Style and structure are the essence of a book; great ideas are hogwash. -- Vladimir Nabokov

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. Everything that can be said can be said clearly. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 04:37:04 PM »
I used to have that "good old Word", but after a serious virus, I had to format my computer. Let's just say I got my microsoft word stuff for free and leave it at that. Now, I have to use that Open Office crap that likes to freeze up on my slightly reatarded computer so I use "ye old Legal Pad and pencil" (and my blog  :)

*shudder*

I have to use Microsoft Word at work sometimes, and it's torture.  I type faster than I talk, and I wouldn't consider using anything other than emacs for writing novels, unless the people who made Protext for DOS were distributing a Linux version.

One of the very minor good points to having to hire a replacement for one of my programming team recently was being able to write in the ad "Resumes in plain text only; no Word documents" and then reject anyone who sent me a Word document straight away, because it meant they weren't actually reading the ad.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline redneckwitch18

• Conversationalist
  • Och Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 10:52:18 PM »
I'm sort of electronically challenged, so what's so bad about Micrsoft word? I have to use it for school (double-spacing and all that jazz-when really it should be about what's in the paper not its font or paragraph format)

Why do people hate Microsoft word?  ???

Offline King Shisa

• Posty McPostington
  • Almost good enough... but not quite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 11:56:08 PM »
I just downloaded the spacejock software.  I haven't used it much, but it seems like it might be helpful to those outliner types.

I have been wanting to get that program called "Writer's Blocks".  It looked pretty interesting, but it's like 150 bucks.

Right now it's good 'ol Word, though.

What's the gist of Spacejock? I'm always looking for a helpful program (I sometimes use Dramatica, but not often).
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 04:11:31 AM »
I'm sort of electronically challenged, so what's so bad about Micrsoft word? I have to use it for school (double-spacing and all that jazz-when really it should be about what's in the paper not its font or paragraph format)

Why do people hate Microsoft word?  ???

Well, because it's crashy with documents of any size, because it's a pig to make all the associated bits and bobs show up in colours I can actually read - I have very sensitive eyes and really need to do any reading of any length on a screen with bright text on a dark background - because the interface is a poorly organised mess even once you have killed the darned paperclip, and above all, because writing text and formatting it are separate functions which it's a dopey notion to conflate.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Suilan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 12:32:32 PM »
I'm sort of electronically challenged, so what's so bad about Micrsoft word?

Because all the default settings are wrong and the program is doing funny stuff to your text and you have to spend too much time trying to figure out why the program is doing it and how to make it stop doing it. Word tries to be smarter than the writer when it is plain dumb. It also messes around with your formatting. If I define half a dozen paragraph formats I know what I am doing and I want to use this half dozen formats, really, honestly, and I don't want the program to try to second-guess me and define new formats where it thinks I might like some until the list of  formats is ten feet long and it is impossible to find the one you want. Whenever I do have to write a text in Word because there is no way around it I feel like I am standing on quicksand, my text and formatting utterly unstable.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 12:39:47 PM by Suilan »
Style and structure are the essence of a book; great ideas are hogwash. -- Vladimir Nabokov

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. Everything that can be said can be said clearly. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Offline King Shisa

• Posty McPostington
  • Almost good enough... but not quite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 05:08:28 AM »
Well, I DL'ed spacejock and found it essentially useless. Maybe it's just me, but after trying several different programs I'd rather just hash it all out in outline form in MS Word (which has never, ever given me any kind of problem).
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.

Offline redneckwitch18

• Conversationalist
  • Och Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 11:03:07 PM »
Well, I DL'ed spacejock and found it essentially useless. Maybe it's just me, but after trying several different programs I'd rather just hash it all out in outline form in MS Word (which has never, ever given me any kind of problem).
I second this  :)