Klaus Schneider
2 (0.7%)
Thorsen
0 (0%)
Simmons
0 (0%)
Kostikos
0 (0%)
MacFee (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
0 (0%)
The Warden from Bremen
0 (0%)
The Original Merlin
3 (1%)
Montjoy (research trip in the Yucatán)
1 (0.3%)
Binder
0 (0%)
Leonid Kravos
0 (0%)
Victor Sells
1 (0.3%)
Aristedes
0 (0%)
Lucky
0 (0%)
Martha Liberty (doing a passable impersonation of a man)
1 (0.3%)
The Mailman from Storm Front
3 (1%)
Grevane
0 (0%)
Anthony Forthill
1 (0.3%)
Gregory Taggart (because why not)
0 (0%)
Father Paolo
1 (0.3%)
Benson Hagglethorn
0 (0%)
Larry Fowler
1 (0.3%)
Billy Sells
2 (0.7%)
Detective Green
0 (0%)
Nicholas Christian
0 (0%)
Malcolm Dresden
0 (0%)
Greg Beckitt
0 (0%)
Mike the Mechanic
2 (0.7%)
Richard/Rich/Rick/Dick
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 293

Author Topic: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]  (Read 153678 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl's Identity [FPOTM2 11.2016]
« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2017, 09:15:38 PM »
Maybe
(click to show/hide)

That's one that is acceptable in the context of historical discussion, but potentially offensive when used to refer to individuals of a fanatical nature.

Personally, I'm hoping for "nouns".  Some people are indeed nouns.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2017, 10:15:47 PM »
nubes?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 26, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »
...Come again? What is that n-word you asterisked out, because I hope like hell it isn't the only n-word that's coming to my mind.
nuts, really, it was just nuts.

My bad, there was an asterisk too many there. Sorry.

@ Griff: I only call people that when they proudly present a similar political persuasion.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »
Back on topic: I noticed that there's no option for Cowl and Peabody actually being one and the same person. Is there something making this impossible or would it just be too anti-climactic?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2017, 12:01:10 PM »
Back on topic: I noticed that there's no option for Cowl and Peabody actually being one and the same person. Is there something making this impossible or would it just be too anti-climactic?
We havent actually seen cowl since before TC.  Also the fact that there was somebody else with Peabody on DR, which has mostly the same pool of suspects as for Cowl's identity. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 26, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »
Peabody is listed right under LaFortier.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 26, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »
Peabody is listed right under LaFortier.
Thanx, I really do seem to need new glasses.  :)

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 27, 2017, 02:58:59 PM »
OK, so I was giving this idea some more thought, and I remembered that it was Cowl who had tainted the Leanansidthe with Morgana's Athame.  Are we assuming, therefore, that Cowl and Kumore are also tainted with Nemesis?  I mean, I can't honestly think of a reason why anyone would knowingly spread Nemesis without either already being tainted or being an Outsider themselves.

Then if that's the case, then does that mean that every argument based off of personality or personal quirks is moot?  I'm unsure of exactly how Nemesis is supposed to work; whether Nemesis is controlling the creature like a puppet and only acting like them, or if it's strongly influencing the individual and granting it power.  Cat Sith's case suggests the former, Maeve suggests the latter.

Has there been any detailed discussion and theory on the exact mechanics of the contagion?  That strongly influences this discussion.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 27, 2017, 03:23:56 PM »
OK, so I was giving this idea some more thought, and I remembered that it was Cowl who had tainted the Leanansidthe with Morgana's Athame.  Are we assuming, therefore, that Cowl and Kumore are also tainted with Nemesis?  I mean, I can't honestly think of a reason why anyone would knowingly spread Nemesis without either already being tainted or being an Outsider themselves.
Likely, though Im not discounting willing participation for personal ends.  Though I expect any Power transfer would include some Nemfection whether the mortal knew it or not. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 27, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »
Has there been any detailed discussion and theory on the exact mechanics of the contagion?  That strongly influences this discussion.
We can't even agree on whether or not mortals can be infected.  Lily said they can, but others argue that she's ignorant, and only parroting things that Maeve lied about.

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 28, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
That's weird.  I don't remember anything in any of the books to suggest that mortals are immune to Nemesis, and many passages other than Lily's in Cold Days that indirectly insinuate that the possibility exists.  I mean, Rashid has a working knowledge of what Nemesis is and how it spreads, and when he accuses Harry of acting against his nature and with far more power than should be available to him in Turn Coat, it very much has the appearance that he suspects Dresden to be infected.  Can you direct me to the thread in which a mortal's nemesis susceptibility is discussed?  It's not listed in the theories index. 

... and not for the first time, I wish that I had joined this community five years ago and knew this stuff already.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 28, 2017, 01:11:23 PM »
That's weird.  I don't remember anything in any of the books to suggest that mortals are immune to Nemesis, and many passages other than Lily's in Cold Days that indirectly insinuate that the possibility exists.  I mean, Rashid has a working knowledge of what Nemesis is and how it spreads, and when he accuses Harry of acting against his nature and with far more power than should be available to him in Turn Coat, it very much has the appearance that he suspects Dresden to be infected.  Can you direct me to the thread in which a mortal's nemesis susceptibility is discussed?  It's not listed in the theories index. 

... and not for the first time, I wish that I had joined this community five years ago and knew this stuff already.
To my knowledge there is nothing that actually indicates humans are immune, the theory rests on the fact that all confirmed Nemfected so far have been Fae. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 28, 2017, 06:08:39 PM »

To my knowledge there is nothing that actually indicates humans are immune, the theory rests on the fact that all confirmed Nemfected so far have been Fae. 
And sheer stubbornness.  But I'm not one to criticize that.

As for a particular thread on the argument, I'd say search for any thread involving Nemfection.  If you can't find one, just start one asking for people's evidence one way or another, and you'll get both.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 28, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »

And sheer stubbornness.  But I'm not one to criticize that.

As for a particular thread on the argument, I'd say search for any thread involving Nemfection.  If you can't find one, just start one asking for people's evidence one way or another, and you'll get both.
No, please. Not again.  ;)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 29, 2017, 12:51:27 AM »
No, please. Not again.  ;)
Until we have an answer, the topic will be picked again and again.  Like a scab.  Or a chronic pustule.  Or an abscess filled with purulent fluid that reeks of bacterial infection and curdled milk, the stench of which clings to both your taste buds and olfactory receptors alike, as it explodes wetly, squelching like an irritable bowel locked in ebullient convulsions as it expels it's noxious emissions.