Author Topic: Convention Demo  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Marxen King of the North

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Convention Demo
« on: September 03, 2016, 07:24:11 PM »
So I'm going to be running a demo of DFRPG at Imaginarium convention next month, most likely the Night Fears casefile. I'm looking for any tips you guys might have to help me out. This is the first time I'll be running a game for something like this.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Convention Demo
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 03:56:51 AM »
If your players do something unexpected, if the rules are vague, if the dice go crazy...roll with it. Improvise as best you can and keep things moving. The game ought to stay fun as long as it stays in motion.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Convention Demo
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 07:59:26 AM »
So I'm going to be running a demo of DFRPG at Imaginarium convention next month, most likely the Night Fears casefile. I'm looking for any tips you guys might have to help me out. This is the first time I'll be running a game for something like this.
The forum warns me of an "over 30 days" age... Hope my reply isn't too late!

I don't know the specific Casefile, but I will presume it's got a mystery of some sort.  My experience of mysteries at 'Con events is that they need a bit of extra prep-work...

Lots of times, the players are just not used to the unfamiliar GM and the style of dropping hints/clues; mysteries can stall out, with the timeslot ending and the game only half-complete.  Prep a slew of extra clues ranging from subtle nudges to hit-em-over-the-head-with-a-stinky-mackerel obvious.

By the same token, sometimes there will be a startlingly-keen and brilliantly-deductive/inductive player, who will see to the heart of things on the slightest whiff that a clue might be somewhere in the neighborhood.  Prep a bunch of red-herring clues, an extra puzzle or two, an extra combat or two, etc... Stuff to keep the game going and keep it entertaining, so it isn't over less than halfway through the timeslot!