Author Topic: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!  (Read 50256 times)

Offline SerGalahad

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!
« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »
One of the PCs in the game I'm running lives on her own yacht, which is part of her treasure-hunting fleet, but the fleet doesn't really have any impact on the game. As I'm preparing something nasty for the next game session, I got to wondering: can a yacht (or houseboat or livable-type of boat) have a threshold to it? I am thinking no; while it is a living space, it is a non-permanent space that moves around and rests on/in the ocean, which is a whole lot of water. What do you all think? 
"Dewey you fool, your decimal system has played right into my hands!"
- Giant Brain in Futurama

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2016, 08:20:23 PM »
In all but very special circumstances I'd say no threshold.

On the other hand, some creatures (and wizards) aren't fond of getting out over large bodies of water, so there's some protection there.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2016, 09:13:09 PM »
Maybe not a Yacht.  It's more of a recreational craft.  A house boat might.  It really depends on whether the person/people identify the place as home.  But even Harry's apartment didn't have much of a threshold, so I doubt a single person living on a boat would have a threshold at all.

An entire family living on a boat, travelling the world might create a threshold over time.  It's that sense of safety, peace, family and love that creates a threshold, IMO.  Doesn't really matter much where it is.  I could see an old tavern or pub having a threshold if it has a tight enough community.

In any case, I don't think water would affect a threshold.  Water might create a threshold just because it's water but I don't think it would degrade an existing threshold.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2016, 09:28:17 PM »
I dunno, I think I'd allow it.  In terms of cannon, Thresholds arent a normal act of magic where "grounding the energies" would apply, so I think it would be able to form there as much as any single occupancy would be able to develop one.  In terms of game balance it wouldnt be significantly different than any old apartment, so it would fall in the Why Not category.

That being said, I would allow a fairly wide interpretation on what qualifies as a Home, up to and including allowing an rover/gypsie lifestyle that would form a threshold around a mobile home, RV, airstream etc.  It would have similar limitations as a rental property on the assumption that it's a single occupancy or single generation.  But if RV was Home to the character and also inherited I wouldnt want to restrict the threashold on it.  Similarly Id allow a traveling circus family or some such to have a threshold on their wagon, a pirate crew equivalent to the Firefly folks and their ship, or similar. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline SerGalahad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2016, 10:09:42 PM »
a pirate crew equivalent to the Firefly folks and their ship, or similar.

I would definitely agree with this, especially since Serenity was as much a member of the crew as the rest of them.

Great advice and points, everyone. My plan is that a RCV sorcerer is trying to use tracking/locating magic to find a journal that the group stole from him and, if I remember right, when using thaumaturgy in that way, you have to take account for thresholds. I'm really only interested in a story purpose: whether the vamp can succeed mechanically is of less concern than the "I'm safe!" or "I'm not safe" feeling that the player/character should have. The changeling of the group (descended from mermaids) is the one living on the yacht. 

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2016, 01:31:35 AM »
I would definitely agree with this, especially since Serenity was as much a member of the crew as the rest of them.

Great advice and points, everyone. My plan is that a RCV sorcerer is trying to use tracking/locating magic to find a journal that the group stole from him and, if I remember right, when using thaumaturgy in that way, you have to take account for thresholds. I'm really only interested in a story purpose: whether the vamp can succeed mechanically is of less concern than the "I'm safe!" or "I'm not safe" feeling that the player/character should have. The changeling of the group (descended from mermaids) is the one living on the yacht.

As long as she's comfortable being out in the middle of the water, the RCV will be hard pressed to attack...he magic will probably be impeded by the water...unless he just tries to sink the boat.  But then again, he probably wants his stuff back.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2016, 01:20:02 PM »

Well, both in the novels and in the game Thaumaturgy can still technically reach past a threshold, though it does impede it.  In the case of the Houseboat I'd allow them to have a base threshold to build normal wards on like any house, but also let them take advantage of the water to "Bunker Down" when they want extra protections by taking the boat out into the middle of the water and dropping anchor their.  It offers magical security in exchange for isolation and limited escape options, and they'd face the same weakening of magic as everyone else unless they have a water mage in the group. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline SerGalahad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2016, 09:44:16 PM »
Good point about invoking the aspect of the water. That is one of the things I'm still getting used to about Fate; that scenes, places, objects, etc all can have aspects too and that the players or villains can invoke/tag those aspects too. And that would be a great solution to them, if they wanted to stay save from the RCVs for awhile; harder to get to on the open water as well.

Offline Xenon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2016, 12:35:19 AM »
I just got the pdf, and was looking through the various points of character creation.

the idea i had- Minor talent, Worldwalker (-2). this looks technically legal, despite falling under two points of requiring GM permission(once for the category and again for the -2). its an interesting idea, one i have seen several time in Zelazney's works (Amber, Donnerjack, Roadmarks), and makes for a lot of interesting story ideas. high concept seems to be a bit tricky, but 'Scholar of Ways' seems proper enough, as someone who studies and travels the ways through the nevernever. then take a stunt for occultism (nevernever, focus in ways), and lore at good(+3). stacking bonuses, thats 3+2+1+1 for +7 to lore on ways in the nevernever, optionally hitting +8 with the high concept aspect for a FP. not bad for a minor talent with a total of -3 to refresh, works for feet in the water too.

not sure how well this plays with the actual rules, as i am not overly familiar with fate in general yet. if lore was at +4, could it conditionally hit +9 or does the ladder cap at +8? are there any listed example of worldwalker i should look at? the minor talent version seems like it would be tied to Dreamers at some point, but different. Daydream believer perhaps?

the other idea that crossed my mind was a Scion of Janus, greek god of transitions, gates, and doorways. I recall seeing the rpg listing Olympus and Elysium as realms of the nevernever. It would seem that the greek row of frat houses near a college would share some affinity, for Bacchus at least.

Offline Nepene

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2016, 01:55:00 AM »
Stunts, including power ones, bonuses don't stack well.

Furthermore, when used in combination,
stunts should avoid overlapping such that their
bonuses “stack”—both adding in the same way
to the outcome. If such stacking is possible, then
the stunts, taken individually, should each be less
effective than the norm

So if you take stunts to do with nevernever knowledge they wouldn't stack with your power stunts. That said, the ladder can go as high as you want. If you invest enough fate points and aspects the sky's the limit.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2016, 02:02:10 AM »
powers stack with stunts but stunts do not stack with stunts.  Or, they do at my table.

That said, having a +7 to get around in the nevernever isn't very powerful, imo.  Super, amazingly useful when you're in the nevernever.  Completely useless otherwise.  General NEvernever Lore would get used often enough, though, but I'm not sure your Worldwalker would come into play there....I have to re-read the power.

If that's the route you want to go, make sure there's going to be some actual play in the NN

Edit:  +9 with a FP.  Invoking an aspect gives you a +2

Edit2: welcome to the boards
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:09:08 AM by Taran »

Offline Nepene

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2016, 02:21:07 AM »
Your table, your rules of course, but, powers are stunts.

Supernatural abilities in The Dresden Files
RPG are also represented by stunts, just like the
specialties and talents of “mundane” mortals (see
Mortal Stunts, starting on page 146). These stunts
are called supernatural powers
YW p158

I agree that nevernever walking on it's own isn't super useful, but if it's a fun story element it's not that expensive to include. Worth talking with your GM about how they'd handle it. They may not want twice as much work, having to develop a complex nevernever place for every location they make, so some quick ways to use it would be good. TPP covers a nevernever based campaign where it'd be more useful.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2016, 08:15:27 AM »
That very same page refers to Powers and stunts as separate things.

...a -1 Refresh Power is allowed to be a little more effective than an otherwise equivalent stunt.

The book really isn't written precisely enough to support that kind of reading.

It's pretty clear that the people writing the books intended Power bonuses to stack both with stunts and with each other. Otherwise there'd be a note on Hulking Size, which is basically always taken alongside Strength. And the statblocks of Kincaid (YS160), Douglas Van Horne (PP124), and Betty Mullins (PP122) either wouldn't have stunts that stack with their Powers or would have some indication that the stacking shouldn't work fully.

Offline Xenon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2016, 02:12:52 PM »
so, the question then becomes, would fleet of foot (-1 stunt, +2 to sprinting) stack with inhuman speed (-2 power, includes +2 sprinting)?

what if i have a bicycle? i would assume its speed would be based on sprinting. (now imagine the 10-speed of Hermes as an item)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2016, 10:27:00 PM »
They stack, IMO.

Biking would be an athletics roll and you'd get your sprint bonus if you did nothing else but move. 

But a bike should move faster than a person on foot, shouldn't they?

Maybe it's  harder to peddle a bike at supernatural speeds so you don't go any faster. You are limited by the equipment.   Or maybe you say bikes cover bigger zones than people on foot so for each zone you move on a bike is further than when running.