Author Topic: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!  (Read 49123 times)

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple Question, get a simple Answer!
« Reply #195 on: December 19, 2016, 12:02:11 AM »
9 refresh and 25 skillpoints is what I have to play with and wow! This is super creative! Its very flexible and open. Very, very nice.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:16:26 AM by Ghostfreak »

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 19, 2016, 02:51:12 PM »
Harry Callaghan Jr: the Magnum Mage

High Concept: Former Cop turned Vigilante wizard
Trouble: Hair Trigger Temper
Background Concept: My father's legacy
Rising Conflict: Yer a Wizard, Harry!
Aspect 1: The Undead Pool
Asepct 2: Sudden Impact
Aspect 3: The Magnum Mage

Powers:
Evocation [-3], elements: air, fire, spirit, +1 Control & Power w/Spirit, +1 Control w/Fire)
Refinement [-1]
Focus Item: Father's Lucky Magnum: +1 Control & Power w/ Spirit (2 slots)

Stunts:
The Magnum Force (Guns): use Guns for Evocation with Spirit spells
On My Toes +2 Initiative

Skills (25):
Great(+4): Conviction (5 w/ Spirit Evocation, 6 w/ Lucky Magnum), Guns (Spirit Evocation 5, 6 w/ Lucky Magnum)
Good(+3): Alertness (Initiative 5), Fists
Fair(+2): Athletics, Lore, Intimidation
Average (+1): Discipline (Fire evocation 2), Driving, Endurance, Presence, Scholarship

Rote Spell: Magnum Forzare! Spirit 6, requires Lucky Magnum, special effect: gun fires, but does not use a bullet

Stress: Physical OOO, Mental OOOO, Social OOO

Spent Refresh: -6
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 07:26:49 PM by Shaft »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #197 on: December 19, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »
Ha, ha, I love it!

Although I feel Dirty Harry should have higher fists and intimidate but with a submerged character you could boost those.

The Aspects are great although, I think at least one should be a play on one of his famous phrases.   'Feel Lucky Punk?' Or 'Go ahead Make My Day.'  The latter could be his trouble but I also like the trouble you have. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:00:58 PM by Taran »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 19, 2016, 03:56:12 PM »
Ha, ha, I love it!

Although I feel Dirty Harry should have higher fists and intimidate but with a submerged character you could boost those.

AlAspects are great although one should be a play on one of his famous phrases.   Feel Lucky Punk? Or Go ahead Make My Day.  The latter could be his trouble but I also like the trouble you have.
Maybe a "Feel Lucky Punk" stunt that warps probability one direction or the other? 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2016, 03:59:44 PM »
Maybe a "Feel Lucky Punk" stunt that warps probability one direction or the other?

Making it a stunt or power is a good idea.  It could be an intimidation stunt.  +2 when intimidating someone at gun-point.  You could fit in a few extra stunts if  you made him a focused practitioner instead of a Wizard.  But a Dirty Harry Warden would be pretty awesome too.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:02:11 PM by Taran »

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 19, 2016, 07:23:58 PM »
Stunt: Do you feel lucky, punk? Swap Guns for Intimidation when threatening someone with a firearm.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 19, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »
"Six Shots or Five...?" A hex-related power to cause bullets to fail and/or become inert and unable to fire. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 25, 2016, 05:33:33 PM »
Must...write...notes. So much flavor its driving me crazy! Very creative.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
What kind of super sense would the spider-sense be considered in dresden files rpg?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #204 on: December 26, 2016, 03:38:07 PM »
What kind of super sense would the spider-sense be considered in dresden files rpg?
Probably a combination of a bonus to Alertness against surprise attacks and a boost to dodging attacks in general.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #205 on: December 26, 2016, 06:03:56 PM »
Yeah, sensing danger should make you immune to ambushes.  That said, if you watch the old cartoons it's more like,

"Danger! My Spidey Senses are tingling....what could it be?"

*WHACK*

"Ouch, that hurt"

So maybe it just gives you a bonus to notice instead of total immunity. 

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2016, 03:09:04 PM »
Regarding Spidey Sense, part of it depends a lot on how Precognative you are willing to let the ability be. That's something that would vary pretty widely in the comics and other media.  Sometimes it's like Taran said, where it's not exactly useless but somewhat close.  In others (like the more recent Avengers cartoon) he was able to disarm super-futuristic technology by reaching for random levers and buttons and just trusting his spidey-sense to warn him if that button/lever would be dangerous to fiddle with. 

Another balancing factor is having certain characters that are immune to the sense, or otherwise negate it.  Spiderman went both ways with that one.  There was Venom, who by virtue of their shared origins was not detectable as "Danger" to the spidey-sense.  On the other end of the spectrum you have Morlun (featured in the Spiderman Novel that Jim wrote) who was so innately dangerous to his animalistic powers (because Magic) that his spidey sense would overload, essentially getting stuck on full blast alarm mode, and no longer give any useful warning to specific things. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 27, 2016, 04:32:15 PM »

I would write Spider-Man with an aspect (my Trusty Spider Sense) that can be tagged positively or negatively as the plot dictates, an Alertness of Great or Superb, a Supernatural Sense that let's him roll Alertness to alert him to potential dangers (which be boosted by the Aspect), and Supernatural Speed to let him dodge at +2 on top of his Superb or Fantastic Athletics skill.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »
I could easily see Spidey-Sense being useless in certain situations that are inherently dangerous: warehouses being on fire, Radioactive areas, Hdes or Hell, and certain areas of the Mos Eisley Spaceport.

You might make an argument that it could useful in the Nevernever ("Does this Way lead to safety or the bottom of the Marianas Trench?").  I guess I could allow that.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 28, 2016, 05:15:57 AM »
I could easily see Spidey-Sense being useless in certain situations that are inherently dangerous: warehouses being on fire, Radioactive areas, Hdes or Hell, and certain areas of the Mos Eisley Spaceport.

Would you allow a PC to roll their Alertness roll (possibly with a bonus from the "Paranoid? Probably..." stunt) to detect a threat in any of the situations listed above?