Author Topic: Dunno if this has been linked before  (Read 6151 times)

Offline seradhe

• Conversationalist
  • insert witty cliche here
    • View Profile
    • Where I write things
Dunno if this has been linked before
« on: October 27, 2007, 11:52:05 AM »
I found this through a Deviant art link and I think it's kinda fun.

http://www.onlyfiction.net/marysue2.html

as long as you don't take the results like some standardized test score, it's kinda fun.
I think it's painfully obvious why my pants are gone.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Dunno if this has been linked before
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 01:42:22 PM »
What the ham sandwich is a Mary Sue?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Heretic

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 02:24:19 PM »
I'm no writer, but I thought a "Mary Sue" was a character based (at least loosely) on an idealized self-portrait by the author.  Often similar background, perhaps superficially similar appearance, gets away with stuff the author wishes s/he could, etc. 

Along the same lines, Mary Sue is little Miss Perfect - always has the right skill for the particular task, always knows the crucial piece of obscure lore to figure out the mystery etc. 
What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 06:43:02 PM »
Tom Clancy's 'Jack Ryan'

Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 01:21:43 AM »
AHHH,  MSL, you mean Jack Ryan is fat and I assume balding?...  If Tom is monitoring,  that was a joke--I've no idea what you look like and I love your books better than the movies, even with Harrison Ford at the helm.   :D
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline seradhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Where I write things
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 06:57:45 AM »
funny replies  :P

I actually find the test a little fun. I spent the better part of my time online running through it with various lead characters from my stories (best was a 12, worst was a 97)

makes me want to know how other literary characters stack up, just for kicks of course.

Pendergast, Max Ride, even Harry come to mind

Offline Ursiel

• Posty McPostington
  • Voy perdiendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 07:22:53 AM »
-eyetwitch- Borderline?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!? -murders test- >_>
Now I stand, the lion before the lambs... and they do not fear.

Offline redneckwitch18

• Conversationalist
  • Och Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 09:42:44 PM »
-eyetwitch- Borderline?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!? -murders test- >_>
hahahahahahahaha. *wipes eyes and helps with the murdering*
Brilliance is fleeting, but stupid lasts a while.

http://mepreport.com/quiz/ttp.htm  
I'm a tartan podcast. lol

Read new posts when I remember!
http://novelist10.wordpress.com/

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 12:54:34 AM »
there was another thread sometime ago that used this test I think.  I didn't know what a mary sue character was either   ;D

there is also an interesting thread about the number of stories and novellas authors have stuffed away...
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 03:22:00 AM »
I'm no writer, but I thought a "Mary Sue" was a character based (at least loosely) on an idealized self-portrait by the author.  Often similar background, perhaps superficially similar appearance, gets away with stuff the author wishes s/he could, etc. 

Along the same lines, Mary Sue is little Miss Perfect - always has the right skill for the particular task, always knows the crucial piece of obscure lore to figure out the mystery etc. 

Interesting. The idea of the author doing a self-portrait (be it consciously or unconsciously) or a picture of himself as he'd LIKE to be is an old one; I'd just never heard a name given to this. Anyone have any idea where the term came from? Doesn't seem immediately evident.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline seradhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Where I write things
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 01:36:26 PM »
Interesting. The idea of the author doing a self-portrait (be it consciously or unconsciously) or a picture of himself as he'd LIKE to be is an old one; I'd just never heard a name given to this. Anyone have any idea where the term came from? Doesn't seem immediately evident.

I never heard of it myself until I came across this test. A short sacrifice to the wiki gods later, I had this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_sue

While I agree with a good portion of the definition (a characters merits greatly outweighing their flaws, etc..). I personally believe there's a little bit of the author in every main character they write.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 04:33:18 PM »
So Mary Sue came from Star Trek (in a way).... that's cool!  Thanks for the link to the explaination. 

Offline Hrankta

• Conversationalist
  • CIO - Evil Conservative Industries(tm)
    • View Profile
    • The Unseen Blogger
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 06:03:53 PM »
What the ham sandwich is a Mary Sue?

Also, a "Mary Sue", or if a male, a "Gary Stu", is a character with no real character flaws.  The overly good, invincible hero.  Think Drizzt, Aragorn, Will Turner, Wesley Crusher, etc.

A Mary Sue / Gary Stu can also be a character who exhibits a lot of common cliches, such as the "Angsty Sue" (Rand Al'Thorne), "Rebel Sue" (Snake Pliskin), "Anti-Sue" (villains with no redeemable qualities), "Outcast-Sue" (Wulfgar), or "Self-Sue", as someone said above, when someone basically inserts themselves.

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 07:21:11 AM »
I did the test for a story I sold,
came out a 12. But a lot of the questions are genre related, as an example I consciously wrote the character as a shadow of my self, and not enough of the questions keyed in on the genre, to reflect the bias. As to good or bad I have always heard that you should write what you know, good suspension of disbelief comes from a believable character that extends it's existence in to an interesting situation.
In my case the plot revolves around a mildly disabled vet, and his reaction to a huge life changing event. Literally (pun intended) his whole world changes when his town is shifted 367 years into the past and onto a different continent.
Stories need to be interesting, and I think the test is trying to sort out the protagontist that always has too easy a time with it's problems.

If you are interested about half the story is available for free here, http://www.grantvillegazette.com/articles/Sailing_Upwind and if you want it all, PM me, and I will send it to you.

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 03:56:09 PM »
I did the test for a story I sold,
came out a 12. But a lot of the questions are genre related, as an example I consciously wrote the character as a shadow of my self, and not enough of the questions keyed in on the genre, to reflect the bias. As to good or bad I have always heard that you should write what you know, good suspension of disbelief comes from a believable character that extends it's existence in to an interesting situation.
In my case the plot revolves around a mildly disabled vet, and his reaction to a huge life changing event. Literally (pun intended) his whole world changes when his town is shifted 367 years into the past and onto a different continent.
Stories need to be interesting, and I think the test is trying to sort out the protagontist that always has too easy a time with it's problems.

If you are interested about half the story is available for free here, http://www.grantvillegazette.com/articles/Sailing_Upwind and if you want it all, PM me, and I will send it to you.

Regards,
Kevin

You know, I was just about to point out that this premise sounded exactly like that of 1632. Imagine my consternation when I do a quick re-read of your post to find out that that IS the story you're working on LOL!