Author Topic: Evocation Mental Attacks & Thaumaturgy Attack Spells  (Read 10587 times)

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Evocation Mental Attacks & Thaumaturgy Attack Spells
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2016, 09:40:06 PM »
I really profoundly dislike the mechanical issues, particularly aftereffects.  Some badass went toe-to-toe with a Ghoul or a Vamp or what-have-you, and wound up Taken Out... Consequences will take a while to heal, but he'll survive.  Fine, we're good.

Someone went toe-to-mind with a wizard who Slept him, and got Taken Out.  Once the victim wakes, there should be no consequences or "healing" time!

Just walking over and shaking them awake should un-do everything; the same should NOT be true for the victim of a Ghoul-mauling!

Definitively agree with that sentiment.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2016, 09:44:37 PM »
For the first part, I agree; however, "random vampires" (and other "random" supernatural nasties) really don't die as easily as random mortals do; many "kill the average mortal" traumas will only annoy or inconvenience the average vamp/etc (aside from their specific weaknesses, e.g. WCV/Touch of Love, etc).  Narratively, sure:  Harry, who knows all this, uses these weaknesses readily, and the baddies fall in droves.

On this I agree with you.  That's why you treat mook monsters differently than mook humans.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2016, 09:57:58 PM »
You don't need (always) healing time to recover from being taken out. You need healing time to recover from consequences, and consequences are what you take to avoid being taken out.

What being taken out means is that you're at your opponent's mercy. They get to dictate what happens to you. I think that fits the situation of a sleeping person very well. Maybe they leave you there, maybe they disembowel you. Up to them.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Evocation Mental Attacks & Thaumaturgy Attack Spellsue
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2016, 02:15:28 AM »
I agree with sanctaphrax here.  Once you are taken out, the victor dictates the outcome.  He could say. "You are dead" or he could say you are magically asleep for 2 hours.  Or you are unconscious.  Both of the latter are better than being dead and don't require lots of recovery time.

It's too bad you got a 'bruised' consequence and a 'concussion' consequence during the battle.  If you'd submitted to the magic earlier, you wouldn't have gotten so beat up.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 02:17:39 AM by Taran »

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2016, 04:22:14 PM »
Related question, would you allow a successful maneuver to be tagged for effect to make some defend at Mediocre, or skip their action for the round?  Or would you require a FP?

Can anyone weigh in on this for me?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2016, 08:13:13 PM »
when you tag a maneuver, it works as a compel.  So that compel gets negotiated and then the person has an option to refuse.

Missing a turn seems like a fine compel but my problem with it is its a compel for inaction which is less fun.

Dodging at mediocre is pretty dangerous so, I suppose, it could depend on the situation how good or bad it is as a compel.

The problem is the tag.  By the book, if you use a tag, the opponent doesn't earn a FP.  On the other hand, I've heard lots of arguments that the tag just 'activates' the aspect and the compel is issued by the GM and, then you use the regular Fate economy and a FP gets awarded to the person from the GM.

I don't know which one I like.  The problem with a tag, imo, is if the person has no fps to pay off the compel then they are getting forced to do something and get no reward for it, which I don't like - it just drains fps from everyone and then there's less to go around to invoke interesting situations.