Author Topic: Greater Glamour True Seemings  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Druidgamer

• Participant
    • View Profile
Greater Glamour True Seemings
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:56:25 AM »
Okay, happened to walk through living room other day & "Witchblade" was playing on TV and it got me thinking: what strength or limit (if any, ala "it is what it is") would a weapon or armor "conjured" by the True Seemings aspect of Greater Glamour have?

Offline Druidgamer

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Greater Glamour True Seemings
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 10:05:46 AM »
EDIT: after posting this I thought I remembered a discussion about Witchblade way back but came up empty in search ... Or rather came up with pages of hits that had nothing to do with Witchblade.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 03:23:12 PM »
I'd decide what the cost of buying the weapon with resources is and make that the difficulty.  Extra shifts go into making it less 'dispellable' (that isn't a real word).

For all intents and purposes, it works exactly like a regular weapon/armour.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 04:02:59 PM »
Simple weapons and armor should be easy to create with Greater Glamours.  More complex technology like guns and ammunition would be quite a bit more difficult.  I don't think there is a limit with Glamours, but their should be time constraints.  No pulling a gun out of thin air in a moment.  A sword though, no problem.

Since you're making something, I think it reasonable to tie the time to a different skill like Scholarship or Craftsmanship.  Like Taran suggests, you can use the Resources buying things chart to set the difficulty for time, but this can get weird since a good cell phone is a Mediocre +0, and I don't know many people who can build a cell phone, so adjust as seems fitting.  Extra shifts on this roll can reduce the time to create, which might allow for a gun to be created in a moment with an awesome roll or an investment of FPs, but probably wouldn't be a matter of course.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 04:30:52 PM »
I tend to look at it as having the same limits as the T-1000. It can create solid objects, not complex machines.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 10:41:16 PM »
As a signature thing (as is the witchblade), I wouldn't allow you to do this with glamour, that should probably be a human form + claws thing to represent the weapon. Triggering the other form would be conjuring the weapon, but there is no roll involved.

That being said, is there anything acting against your conjuring? If not, don't even bother to roll. Here, you have a sword. If there is, for example a wizard willing your sword away, roll against the wizard. Or against a block on conjuring or whatever. You could easily have a regular sword with you, for the most part, conjuring it is mainly just your style, I guess. A weapon:2 and armor:1 should be no problem.

One of the weaknesses would surely be cold iron. If your conjured sword is hit by one made of steel or anything made out of iron or steel, really, it will shatter into a million tiny pieces. That is, after all, the ultimate faerie weakness. And probably the reason why some of their stuff is made from real materials. A bronze sword might be weaker than a steel one, but it will block it at least a few times.

Though glamour is usually (as in "how faeries use it in folklore") not used in such hands on ways. It's used to dazzle, to swindle, to bamboozle, to finagle. A big weapon and shiny armor to impress and intimidate someone mostly, not so much to actually fight.

Yes, Leah did something like that, but I'd say that's a mixture of glamour for the looks and unseelie magic for the defense.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal