Author Topic: Question for Jim and others, “Yes or No, does the bear ever go away?”  (Read 8743 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Jim and others, “Yes or No, does the bear ever go away?”
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 07:23:33 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_bear - Universal Knowledge Repository.

"According to both fossil and DNA evidence, the polar bear diverged from the brown bear roughly 200 thousand years ago" - Polar evolved from brown, so pretty closely related.

DNA evidence is a newish technology, and the best guess for divergence dates of major groups of mammals has to my knowledge changed three or four times in the last ten to fifteen years; I could probably dig up some of the relevant Nature papers if anyone cared enough.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 07:24:38 PM »
And why worry about war and genocide? We can just breed more human beings from apes.

Can we start with bonobos next time ? Sex rather than violence as preferred means of conflict resolution seems to lead to a more pleasant world in several ways.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 07:49:48 PM »
Can we start with bonobos next time ? Sex rather than violence as preferred means of conflict resolution seems to lead to a more pleasant world in several ways.

Meh. Omnisexuality as a practice never appealed to me. ;D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 08:23:37 PM »
After having deeply researched the Bonobos (on Wiki  :D)  I vote HERE< HERE for the Bonobos and their lifestyle.  Given my deep research, I do not agree on their aggression or that they are anything like the traditional Chimpanse. Their good natural sense & their matriarchal society appeals to the woman in me.  Make love not war!   
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess