Author Topic: Deck of Fate  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Druidgamer

• Participant
    • View Profile
Deck of Fate
« on: April 16, 2016, 01:41:32 PM »
New DFRPG game starting soon & knowing that Fudge Dice hate me almost as much as I hate those demonic pieces of plastic doom waiting to dash my dreams into the dumpster, the GM has offered use of Deck of Fate instead of the dice.  My question: anyone have any experience with using the cards instead of rolling?  When do they get reshuffled?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Deck of Fate
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 05:03:36 PM »
I think there's a million ways to use the deck.

The most common ways I've seen are shuffle when one of the extreme cards comes up (++++, 0000, ----) or when the deck is used up.

But there's all kinds of fun stuff you can do. For example let people hold 5 cards and let them spend a fate point to discard everything and redraw or draw additional cards, to increase your odds.

You could also introduce stunts that play off the cards, like allowing you to keep a card after playing it.

All in all, the deck can bring a whole new dimension to the game.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Keryth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 07:21:41 PM »
Well, being the GM in question, I think I like the idea of re-shuffle when one of the extreme cards comes up (++++, 0000, ----) or when the deck is used up
Shadows Over New York - A Dresden Files RPG Campaign with some added bonuses from Books, TV, and Movies.  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york)

Offline zaboron

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 02:21:26 PM »
to make the deck perform like fair Fate dice you'd have to reshuffle every time you pull a card.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 08:24:37 PM »
Not a whole lot of point in using the deck if you want it to perform like fair dice.

Offline zaboron

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 12:05:48 PM »
Yes, that's what I was saying.  :)

Offline Keryth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 02:34:39 PM »
I should point out that only one player at this time will be using the deck. The rest seem to be sticking to the dice
Shadows Over New York - A Dresden Files RPG Campaign with some added bonuses from Books, TV, and Movies.  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york)