Author Topic: Thematic Thaumaturgy Type  (Read 2805 times)

Offline cetra02

• Participant
    • View Profile
Thematic Thaumaturgy Type
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:26:55 AM »
I am trying to think of a good name for a style of Thematic Thaumaturgy.  It is used by a Wizard Smith to speak to the spirits of things.  For example, she could use a ritual to convince a bank vault door to open instead of blasting it open, speak with the spirit of an Item Of Power to better understand its powers and purpose, or start a car without a key or needing to hotwire it.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Thematic Thaumaturgy Type
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 06:24:14 AM »
Assuming you want to stick with the suffix -mancy, the only thing you need to decide is the prefix.  You can use Latin or Greek words for something appropriate.

I.e.
English "purpose" = Greek "skopós"
Skopómancy, a magic form where the caster infuses an object with their intent to have it fulfill its natural function or purpose for existing.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:07:37 AM »
I am trying to think of a good name for a style of Thematic Thaumaturgy.  It is used by a Wizard Smith to speak to the spirits of things.  For example, she could use a ritual to convince a bank vault door to open instead of blasting it open, speak with the spirit of an Item Of Power to better understand its powers and purpose, or start a car without a key or needing to hotwire it.

Apparatusomancy?

Offline Anubissama

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 01:02:58 PM »
Sounds like Shintoism to me, so you have there whole religion to play with.
DV Anubissama V1.2 YR5 FR(M) 3 BK++++: RP++++: JB+: TH+++: WG: CL++: SW +(-): BC+: MC+++: SH(Molly)+++++:

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »
Sounds like Shintoism to me, so you have there whole religion to play with.
True, although Cetra's proposed magic is more kinetic than Shinto.  Shinto (to my understanding) is more nature/natural world based.  This magic would seem to use that as a starting point, and add spirits of manufactured objects as well.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 02:19:31 PM »
what about Machine Magic...like 40k?  Anything with moving parts is a machine, after all.  Some are more simple than others.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 05:26:25 PM »
The word anima often refers to the soul or spirit, so "animancy" might work.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 05:53:46 PM »
The word anima often refers to the soul or spirit, so "animancy" might work.
It's from the Latin 'anima', which means soul.  But that's more like soul/life/breath.  'Animus' meant soul/heart/purpose.  But the -mancy version would still need to be animancy, since animusmancy doesn't sound as good.

Offline cetra02

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 12:29:24 AM »
I was sort of inspired by Shinto for the idea, but I really did not want to make this particular character have that faith, as she is of Scandinavian extraction.  "Animus" fits pretty well for what I had in mind.  She can speak to most objects, but can really only manipulate/coerce those that DO something.  For example she could use a divination under this theme to ask a shattered wall what broke through it,  but could not use it to break the wall.  She might be able to make a door not accept its key, but could not permanently seal it.  She could find out what an IOP does, but if she does not meet the requirements to use it, she could not just make it work for her.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 01:12:33 AM »
I was sort of inspired by Shinto for the idea, but I really did not want to make this particular character have that faith, as she is of Scandinavian extraction.  "Animus" fits pretty well for what I had in mind.  She can speak to most objects, but can really only manipulate/coerce those that DO something.  For example she could use a divination under this theme to ask a shattered wall what broke through it,  but could not use it to break the wall.  She might be able to make a door not accept its key, but could not permanently seal it.  She could find out what an IOP does, but if she does not meet the requirements to use it, she could not just make it work for her.
In a way, it sounds less like Shinto and more like a controlled hexus/anti-hexus.  Where hexus send to be based on entropy/chaos magic causing things to break however they can, this sounds like order/disorder magic.  As if commanding things to act in their natural way unnaturally.

I imagine the power cost of such a thing would be higher for more complicated acts.  So as you've described, lower level tasks can be both 'discovered' and 'enacted', and higher level tasks are only 'discovered'.  Likewise, it'd probably be easier to mimic appropriate actions/reactions than it would be to refuse appropriate actions/reactions.

I.e. using magic to unlock a locked door would cost less than making a locked door remain locked despite a key.  But that may just be subjective semantics on my part.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 01:19:55 AM »
If you're going with a more Scandinavian theme, something like Landvaettir-mancy may be interesting.  It mostly seems like you're going for a summoning focus for thaumaturgy, but specializing in genus loci type spirits.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 02:02:13 AM »
If you're going with a more Scandinavian theme, something like Landvaettir-mancy may be interesting.  It mostly seems like you're going for a summoning focus for thaumaturgy, but specializing in genus loci type spirits.
Would they really be genius loci, though?  I typically think of those as greater manifestations of a place that encompasses numerous aspects and purposes.  It's more place than object.  A genius quod, in Latin.  Quodomancy, dealing with the spiritual essence of objects? 

Also, they'd want to stay away from using any native tongue in their magic, for the same reason Harry doesn't use English.  Even something as simple as a classification could complicate matters.  And depending on whether they're a white Council member, they might feel a necessity to conform to the organizational use of Latin/Greek roots.

Or not.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 02:17:24 AM »
Would they really be genius loci, though?  I typically think of those as greater manifestations of a place that encompasses numerous aspects and purposes.  It's more place than object.  A genius quod, in Latin.  Quodomancy, dealing with the spiritual essence of objects? 

Also, they'd want to stay away from using any native tongue in their magic, for the same reason Harry doesn't use English.  Even something as simple as a classification could complicate matters.  And depending on whether they're a white Council member, they might feel a necessity to conform to the organizational use of Latin/Greek roots.

Or not.
I would think spirits of doors or walls are close enough to genius loci.  I would imagine that genius loci spirits in civilized areas would work along the lines of the furies in Codex Alera, smaller scale and more numerous.  The item of power things are harder to justify, but I think it's doable.  Quodomancy isn't bad overall.

As far as the name of the type of magic, that doesn't necessarily equate to the spell names that tend to be in an unfamiliar language.  For Greek/Latin roots, you could always look into something along the lines of daemon-mancy or daemon-ology.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline cetra02

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 05:08:26 AM »
If it helps any here is what I've got done of her sheet so far.  Still very much a work in  progress. 

(click to show/hide)

Offline cetra02

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 05:33:30 AM »
I think I have settled on Skopóurgy.  Thank all of you for the input and help.