Author Topic: Stunts and their many facets  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Stunts and their many facets
« on: March 23, 2016, 09:34:32 PM »
Hello,

There is probably something somewhere that could be referenced but i am curious. Lets say that I have a stunt that lets me use Weapons for Intimidation under a specific circumstance.

If that circumstance is active, do I also get access the the stunts that i have created for Intimidation? Such as: Scare 'em Straight: You are an authority figure. Part of your job is to put the fear of the law in potential miscreants. Add one to your Intimidation skill when using it against someone under your authority (ie: students for a teacher, magical practitioners for a Warden).**

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Stunts and their many facets
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 09:45:10 PM »
Well, maybe. Usually, it's a no, because a skill replacement stunt doesn't allow you to simply switch out a skill, it allows you to use a skill instead of another skill in a specific circumstance. Another stunt will give you a bonus on a roll but in a different circumstance, so the two stunts will be mutually exclusive.

Then again, if both stunts could justifiably be active, sure. A teacher threatening a student with a weapon seems highly unlikely. A warden threatening a magical practitioner with the symbol of his station, the silver sword? Absolutely.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 10:27:14 PM »
the stunt lets you do a single trapping of Intimidate with Weapons.  (I'm assuming it won't let  you taunt, for instance).

So, any other stunt that boosts that specific trapping could be affected.  That said, I'm not sure bonuses from stunts stack. You just take the highest bonus.  I know powers and stunts do stack.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 11:21:23 PM »
That said, I'm not sure bonuses from stunts stack. You just take the highest bonus.  I know powers and stunts do stack.

They're not supposed to stack, but I've found as Power Levels get higher, it can help the non-spellcastery types to allow overlapping stunts to stack, or partly stack--I'd make +2 and +2 a +3 unless the overlapping circumstance was really narrow. As long as you're fairly tight with the specific circumstances/limitations, though, it works okay in my opinion.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 07:48:32 PM »
That said, I'm not sure bonuses from stunts stack. You just take the highest bonus.  I know powers and stunts do stack.

Issue is I am actually only using one bonus. The one granted to Intimidation by being an authority figure. The other one is being able to use Weapons as Intimidation while holding a weapon.

So would I get +2 to my weapons roll to intimidate someone that i am an authority figure of?

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 09:13:18 PM »
would I get +2 to my weapons roll to intimidate someone that i am an authority figure of?

I would allow it.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 09:16:29 PM »
I would allow it.

yup.  Just to clarify what I was saying, if the stunt affects the same trapping that gets a bonus from a second stunt, then go for it.