Author Topic: Payment for services rendered  (Read 4089 times)

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Payment for services rendered
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 08:04:03 AM »
Rashid has one in CD.

And Harry is notoriously bad at complex, difficult magic. Even with all his new stretching since picking up his apprentice and post-Changes stuff, he still isn't as good as a lot of other wizards his age at complex magic.

Pick it up as an IoP: +2 rebate, -1 Wings, -2 Inhuman Speed. That would be fun to have during the game, forget the whole flame spirit thing.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline AgentSchneider

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 10:26:10 PM »
Pick it up as an IoP: +2 rebate, -1 Wings, -2 Inhuman Speed. That would be fun to have during the game, forget the whole flame spirit thing.

For -1 Refresh you could certainly invest Refresh on much worse things. I had never thought of doing a flying carpet as an IoP, might have to consider that for one of my characters.

Offline Hogeyhead

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 06:26:34 AM »
Shoot, I'll need to re-read that book. As for refresh, we tend to get one per six to eight months real time, so it has to be super duper worth it for me to invest a refresh in absolutely anything.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 07:47:39 PM »
The pole thing definitely wouldn't fly with the spirit, and it's not good to have a bodyguard that feels you cheated it.

Guys look I don't need help getting around the problem, I need to do it the hard way. I need help getting through the problem.

So the way I'm looking at it, "the polar solution" is not, in fact, "getting around the problem."  Rather the reverse -- it's HARDER.  Consider that "carry a flame around the world" is a normal(ish) thing, happens every 4 years for the Olympics (every 2, I guess, since they do summer/winter Oly's on an alternating-biannual basis).  So, it's a fundamentally "expected" thing, and it can be "known" without getting any special attention (and generally, "attention" = unwanted, for wizards in the Dresdenverse).  Sure, you need to obscure (from the Mundanes) the fact that you're doing it magically... but hey, do-able and not even very challenging, really.

But take a FLAME up to the North (or down to the South) Pole?   Carry it in a ginormous frigging CIRCLE around the "pole"?  Coldest places in the WORLD, them.  Often windy.  Fundamentally as flame-hostile as anything outside the water can get, really; and you also need to make it "known" in some sort of symbolic magical way...

You just performed a magic circle of flame around one of the two most-symbolic "cold spots" in the ENTIRE WORLD.

From the "flame spirit" POV?  I think it'd look like a "flame rules, cold drools!" move (possibly even annoying Mab).  Serious, SERIOUS Brownie Points with Fire spirits, for whoever pulls THAT stunt in a manner accruing fiery/magical oomph!

And... um... you want to do it "the hard way," huh?  Really... I don't see it getting a lot harder than that...