Author Topic: Construct Creation  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Lonelylurker

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Construct Creation
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
Except that Sponsored Magic doesn't give a physical body with skills, powers, or damage tracks.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 07:52:30 PM »
(Not clued on the mechanics)

Wouldn't it be possible, for a long-term golem/construct, to flavour it as "Sponsored Magic"? Spells are the various manoeuvres the construct can use, debt becomes "damage" or "energy drain" on the construct's supply, and the compels resulting from debt can be reflavoured as the construct misbehaving/leaking magic/shutting down?

Yes, for the most part. 

It gets tricky if someone wants to attack your construct directly but this method is basically what Haru suggested. You just reflavour your spell casting. 

So instead of saying "I blast him with fire.  Weapon 4 attack"

You say, "my gollum breathes fire on him". Weapon 4 attack.

You still target with discipline because it's using up all your concentration to control it.

This method has a down-side which is reflected by the wizards blind spot.

Blocks on movement might prevent ranged attacks if your construct can change zones etc...

The sponsored debt and compels part is interesting.  Or you could reflect this with fallout too.

For a Construct's stress (if you want to do it this way), maybe you could say physical attacks do mental damage - which prevents you from controlling it eventually.   Or maybe the physical damage gets transferred to yOu. lthough, part of the advantage of having a construct is not having to go in and get hurt.   

You could take a toughness power that only applies to attacks on the construct.  So the. You could 'virtually' go into a situation and be super tough through your construct. 

Offline regitnui

• Conversationalist
  • -R-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 07:53:39 PM »
Except that Sponsored Magic doesn't give a physical body with skills, powers, or damage tracks.

The construct has neither mental nor social tracks, and debt can be repurposed into damage/energy. Fluff can drop a physical body, and we can use the controller's skills. Admittedly. This can lead to absurd things like a stone golem on corrugated metal stairs sneaking past guards, but again; Mental and Social attacks hit the controller, not the construct.

Whatever the transforming Power is called (AFB) can be repurposed to 'switch' the control from 'remote control' to 'construct' allowing them to share damage.
On Wizardry:[/b]
There's basically nothing a Wizard couldn't do, given enough time, power, and moral flexibility. 

/\   /\
\'!'/

Offline Lonelylurker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 08:41:29 PM »
Maybe you could, but that's an awful lot of shoe-horning to avoid just stating the construct itself.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 01:55:55 AM »
This can lead to absurd things like a stone golem on corrugated metal stairs sneaking past guards, but again; Mental and Social attacks hit the controller, not the construct.

That's what Compels are for.

Whatever the transforming Power is called (AFB) can be repurposed to 'switch' the control from 'remote control' to 'construct' allowing them to share damage.

It's called Beast Change.

It could kinda work, but a modified version of Skilled Projection (possibly attached to an Item of Power) might be more fitting.

Offline regitnui

• Conversationalist
  • -R-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 07:22:53 AM »
That's what Compels are for.

Compels solve everything! If the construct is semipermanent or permanent, it could be wise to give it an aspect or two like: Reliant on Creator and Soulless Servant. For the stealth oddity, Big, Stompy Everything if the construct isn't the type for sneaking around.

It's called Beast Change.

It could kinda work, but a modified version of Skilled Projection (possibly attached to an Item of Power) might be more fitting.

Thanks. I don't recall seeing Skilled Projection before. With that low refresh, it certainly is a great way to model a Kid With The Remote Control character. Take it twice or more for an arsenal of contruct buddies. Reminds me of the Artificer from Eberron (D&D), and could model a 'Pokémon trainer' with a sneaky flying construct, a big combat golem and a potion-holding walking Luggage.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 07:27:23 AM by regitnui »
On Wizardry:[/b]
There's basically nothing a Wizard couldn't do, given enough time, power, and moral flexibility. 

/\   /\
\'!'/

Offline RonLugge

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 11:27:57 PM »
Paranet Papers gives good guidelines for creating undead, but fails to address the question of Constructs(eg. Golums, Animated Statues etc. It seems like the same basic parameters should apply, but it must be more difficult or no one would turn to Necromancy.

You're overlooking that necromancy has built-in shift boosters to help you out.

Need a zombie?  Kidnap a homeless bum and make him your zombie... and while you're at it, get an additional 20 shifts of power by killing him (thus inflicting a mild, moderate, severe, and extreme consequence, gaining the additional 20 shifts of power).

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 06:39:53 PM »
Homeless bums don't take that many consequences.  I'd give him a minor at most.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 06:06:30 PM »
Naw, everyone has that many consequences.  The only reason it seems like they don't, is because they aren't willing to accept anything past a minor or moderate to keep the fight going.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 10:01:27 PM »
I wouldn't let someone add 20 complexity to a spell by killing a nameless NPC.

Taking consequences is voluntary.  You can concede without taking consequences.  If the caster wants to fill all their own consequences, I say go for it.

But for the bum, At most I'd give an aspect: human sacrifice.

Edit:  I might allow 4 shifts since that's what a concession is worth (a moderate). 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:54:18 PM by Taran »

Offline RonLugge

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 07:55:07 PM »
I wouldn't let someone add 20 complexity to a spell by killing a nameless NPC.

Why on earth not?

If a player does it, he now has Wardens on his tail.  And they are very, very, very good at their jobs.  If an NPC does it... well, there's a reason players are (presumably) trying to kill him.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 08:23:59 PM »
I think I'd look at who they were killing first and go from there, nameless NPC or not.  For example:

A hobo has probably already taken some consequences.  Depending on the hobo, they may already have a Moderate "Addiction" consequence.  Or if they are in some seriously rough shape, that and a Severe "Systemic Infection" consequence.  That reduces the amount of power a practitioner can get from them to 10 shifts.

However, if they kidnap a healthy individual, then yeah, they're getting all 20 shifts.

The difference is that the authorities are less likely to notice the hobo disappearing than they are the healthy individual.  But if enough hobos disappear, the authorities will start to notice.