Author Topic: City Assistance  (Read 1273 times)

Offline regitnui

• Conversationalist
  • -R-
    • View Profile
City Assistance
« on: January 10, 2016, 08:34:32 AM »
I'm part of a group working on a campaign with NYC as our city. Small problem is that none of us have been there before. I've taken on the problem of adding the Fomor to the game, and need a bit of help finding an appropriate area for their Talent-Smuggling and general hq in the city. Any natives around here familar with the NYC harbours and docks, and able to assist me?
On Wizardry:[/b]
There's basically nothing a Wizard couldn't do, given enough time, power, and moral flexibility. 

/\   /\
\'!'/

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: City Assistance
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 10:19:41 PM »
I know nothing about New York, but I do know of several existing DFRPG games set there. Might be useful to check out their sites, or talk to their players.

Ragnarok NYC
The Dresden Files New York City
Shadows Over New York

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: City Assistance
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 11:54:42 PM »
Feel free to have a look at the Wiki on RagnarokNYC! There's also a map that I believe is up to date. (The wiki is sort-of up to date. If you sign up for an account and PM me @ "ChrisJ" I can give you access to some additional forum posts about things that have happened there.)

My advice in general is just do some reading up on the city, pick out places and things you like, and put a Dresden spin on them. Then make up other places--not all the Locations are real places in the city. New York is a lot like Chicago in that it is an epic crossroads--there are more distinct languages spoken there than anywhere else in the world--and a huge concentration of people. That means a large supernatural presence--lots of Ways in and out, and lots of food. Oh, and I'd familiarize yourself with the basic guns laws in the city/state, so you know what normal citizens can get their hands on without resorting to illegal purchases or needing special licenses, etc.

Some notable things we did that are kind of "obvious" options to use:
- The Red Court control most of East Harlem (with their majority Hispanic population)
- A Genius Loci in Central Park (plus Winter and Summer were always fighting over it before a PC claimed the place as his own territory, and they still fight to control the city's Groundskeeper in charge of the park's day-to-day).
- Grand Central Station is a huge nexus of Ways, so is Madison Square Garden
- This little gem featured in Ghostbusters is a real building (not as tall as made out to be in the movie). In our game, it's a lightning-rod for Ways to Faerie, and Winter/Summer are always trying to gain more influence over the building's owner. Could instead lead to somewhere else, or even be a crapshot, constantly changing.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:57:58 PM by dragoonbuster »
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge