Author Topic: High Fantasy Conversion  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: High Fantasy Conversion
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 03:19:31 AM »
Because I don't have a single, specific setting in mind.

"Medieval times" type setting, with kingdoms, kings, queens, peasants, merchants, nobles, etc etc.  Monsters roaming the land.  Heroes to oppose them.  Etc etc.  It's a very very broad theme.  Deliberately.
Fate works best if you've got something concrete. Out of the box, it works ok, but as soon as you've got something concrete, you can adjust the system to it. Like the DFRPG does for the Dresden Files. All the powers etc. are not part of standard Fate, it's specifically designed to model the Dresden world.

And the same thing applies here. The broader you make your system, the less interesting it will be.

For example, lets take magic. If you say "magic works like this", magic will be like that in every world you want to play with the system. System and world are fairly closely interwoven in Fate, and the way you model things mechanically always has an impact on the reality of the world you play in. Granted, that's true for other systems as well, but the flexibility of Fate allows you to do a lot of different stuff, where other systems are often locked in to their world.

So looking at the DF magic system, it does a few things. It ensures that wizards can be incredibly powerful. It also assures that wizards can't throw out too many spells at once at any given time, because they tire out. If you use the DF system, that will be true for your high fantasy worlds, where it might not always be so.

Alternatively, you could have a world where pretty much everyone can do magic to some degree, or where wizards use magic at every corner, albeit not their most powerful tricks. An archer shooting an arrow would be not much different from a wizard firing a magic missile. A thief picking a lock would not be much different from a wizard hexing it open. So the wizard could simply use guns and burglary (or whichever skills are used for the tasks, Core is a bit different in the skill list), and you're done. He wouldn't be able to do everything, his choice of skills would be the way he specialized on his magic, so that's not an issue either. The only real difference to other characters would be the way you describe the actions. Since he's just as effective as any other character, you don't need a mechanic to limit their spellcasting either. What you could do is give them a mechanic to do more powerful spells and limit that, if you really wanted to.

And there's tons of other ways to do magic. In fact, there's tons of ways to do magic better than DF. All of them based on a different assumption and philosophy on how magic is supposed to work in that particular world.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 04:08:16 PM »
Oh, one more thing, Fate Core and the Toolkit are available as an online version here:
http://fate-srd.com/
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline zaboron

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 05:59:34 AM »
- since your setting idea is very broad you could try the world creation together with your players. Fate Core has a good guide on this.
- If you want to play Fate in your own Setting, then DFRPG is a bad game to start with. There are a lot better Fate systems you can use and are available for free. DFRPG moved quite a bit away from the core spirit of Fate
-for high Fantasy I can recommend checking out the Atomic Robo ruleset. It sounds a bit far fetched but it would actually be quite a good fit for high fantasy as well. It's also an improved (imho) version of the fate core rules
- use the fate systems toolkit to decide how magic should work in your world. That's probably going to be the most important decision you have to make upfront.

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »
If you want to try high fantasy with Dresden, I say go for it. You can always play test and make changes where needed. With regards to your comment in the document that DFRPG isn't suited for dungeon crawls, check out Sanctaphrax's thread called Draconic Dungeons. You might change your mind.

Offline RonLugge

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 08:53:01 PM »
- since your setting idea is very broad you could try the world creation together with your players. Fate Core has a good guide on this.
- If you want to play Fate in your own Setting, then DFRPG is a bad game to start with. There are a lot better Fate systems you can use and are available for free. DFRPG moved quite a bit away from the core spirit of Fate
-for high Fantasy I can recommend checking out the Atomic Robo ruleset. It sounds a bit far fetched but it would actually be quite a good fit for high fantasy as well. It's also an improved (imho) version of the fate core rules
- use the fate systems toolkit to decide how magic should work in your world. That's probably going to be the most important decision you have to make upfront.

1) That's actually pretty much th eplan.
2) I'll reserve judgement.  I *know* the Dresden system best.  With a group of veteran players I might be more willing to experiment, but with this group, I need all the rules familiarity I can muster to keep the game on track.  They're getting better, but...
3) I'll keep that in my mind.
4) I actually _like_ how Dresden makes it work.  High risk, high reward, with a decent measure of resource management.  For my table, the extra complexity involved in magic is actually a feature, not a bug.  It gives me a 'high work' character type I can give to the most advanced player at my table, while reserving easier characters for everyone else.

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 06:52:27 PM »
So how is your conversion going? I may try something like this at our twice-annual gaming weekend coming up to teach the group FATE.

Offline RonLugge

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 12:35:19 AM »
So how is your conversion going? I may try something like this at our twice-annual gaming weekend coming up to teach the group FATE.

Our table had to take a small hiatus due to Christmas + a marriage.  We still haven't gotten back into gear to try it.

Offline RonLugge

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 11:05:17 PM »
Just sat down and started working with it, and discovered a small 'flaw' with inherent flexibility.  Instead of adding +3 refresh and setting pure mortal to 3, we've changed it to adding +2 refresh and +4 pure mortal.  Otherwise, the 'inherent flexibility' became flatly better for power-based races, with the exception of not having access to mythic abilities.