Author Topic: Weapon Rating for garlic?  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Ardrikk

• Participant
    • View Profile
Weapon Rating for garlic?
« on: February 04, 2016, 02:11:40 PM »
So my players know they're going up against some Black Court Vampires and have loaded up on garlic cloves from a local restaurant. When they inevitably use them against the BCVs, what Weapon Rating should they have? Obviously they would also satisfy the vamps' catch and so bypass armor and extra physical stress boxes.

I've been debating between Weapon 1 and Weapon 2.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Rating for garlic?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 02:18:40 PM »
I don't think I would give a clove of garlic a weapon rating. In fact, just a clove of garlic would probably not do all that much at all. I think you would need to find a way to weaponize it first.

Put it in your weapon oil and cover your sword with it. Grind it up, mix it with water or oil, drain it and put  the water in a waterpistol or fill paintball bullets with it. Eat a lot of garlic to make yourself toxic to their bite. And so on. But a clove of garlic would probably just drop off the blampire's chest and fall pointlessly to the ground.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 02:30:47 PM »
Yeah, I'd say this is just a Catch.

Or an aspect

Let's say you do as Haru suggest:  grind it up, mix it with oil and put it on your sword.  Now you have a weapon that acts as a catch against anything that hates garlic - or, even if it's not a catch, it adds a bonus to attack(by tagging it) because the smell is distracting (I'm thinking vampires)

A necklace of garlic helps you to keep a vampire at bay (tagging for a bonus to dodge) or invoking for effect to keep the vampire from attacking at all.

So, weapon maneuvers, crafting maneuvers, scene aspects etc...

All things that can be tagged for effect or for bonuses.

Garlic as a declaration for a ward to protect a house against vampires would be a good one.

Edit:  at most, if you were to liquefy it and put it in a water pistol and something was extremely allergic to it, I'd say weapon 0 .  Normally water pistols don't hurt.  But now it does, so it's infinitely more damaging now.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:33:56 PM by Taran »

Offline Ardrikk

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 03:17:16 PM »
But a clove of garlic would probably just drop off the blampire's chest and fall pointlessly to the ground.

And yet, in Grave Peril, Mavra super speeds away from a clove of garlic thrown in her direction. That implies she is afraid of it touching her.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 03:21:56 PM »
And yet, in Grave Peril, Mavra super speeds away from a clove of garlic thrown in her direction. That implies she is afraid of it touching her.

yup.  it's an aspect.  it was invoked for effect and she was compelled to run.

Weapon 1 or 2 object shouldn't scare Mavra.   The important thing is WHAT it is...not what damage it can do.

Catch:  Your Story, p.185

Even the mere presence of the
thing that satisfies your Catch will cause
you discomfort (and may be grounds for
a compel or something similar
).

Offline Ardrikk

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 03:33:19 PM »
yup.  it's an aspect.  it was invoked for effect and she was compelled to run.

Weapon 1 or 2 object shouldn't scare Mavra.   The important thing is WHAT it is...not what damage it can do.

Catch:  Your Story, p.185

Even the mere presence of the
thing that satisfies your Catch will cause
you discomfort (and may be grounds for
a compel or something similar
).

Ah, good point. Okay, thanks!