Author Topic: Item of Power Advice  (Read 1520 times)

Offline EmperorSkiratta

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Item of Power Advice
« on: November 26, 2015, 07:55:59 PM »
Okay, so me and my friends are getting back into the Dresden Files RPG, and we're each rolling up characters because we intend to pass the GM hat around. My characters is using a katana passed down through his family for generations, and he's the latest owner, and the first one to wield it in a while. The thing about the sword is that it's possessed. Specifically by the kitsune Tamamo-no-Mae/Hoji.

The way we've decided to represent this is by giving her a write-up, similar to but more fleshed out that the one given to Bob the Skull in the Paranet Papers. I know a couple skills and probably aspects to give her, but some advice there would be nice. We're also looking at for now having her boost some of my skills while I have the sword, and eventually upgrading that to just using her skills once I have the refresh. One of the biggest questions is how much refresh this should cost.

Right now, the group is at "Feet in the Water" and we'll be discussing this particular power and some other things about our characters sometime soon, but I'd like to get a little advice before then.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Item of Power Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 03:04:35 AM »
A Beast Change variant which lets the sword replace some of your skills with its own might work.

Alternately, you could use some supernaturally flavoured stunts. "Use Conviction to wield the family sword as long as Hoji approves of what you're doing" or something like that.

Offline EmperorSkiratta

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 04:36:21 AM »
A Beast Change variant which lets the sword replace some of your skills with its own might work.

Alternately, you could use some supernaturally flavoured stunts. "Use Conviction to wield the family sword as long as Hoji approves of what you're doing" or something like that.
I was looking at doing something like that for one possibility. Sponsor debt was another option I was looking into for it, as she's a sponsor in some ways. I found Amos, the Sentient Sword on the wiki, which is what gave me the debt idea.
Also, somebody over at the Giant in the Playground forums mentioned I should ask you for help.

Update Edit:
The three main skills I'd give her based on what lore I've found are deciet, lore, and scholoarship, wtih lore and scholarship specialized in yokai, eastern kingdoms, and eastern history up until about the 1200s, at the latest, as I can't find a time frame for when Sessho-seki was broken and Hoji exercised. Other skill that would be high would probably be the other social and mental skills.
Aspect ideas: Nine-tailed Fox/Kitsune (possible high concept); One of Japan's Most Evil Yokai; Known by Many Names; My Home Shares My Name (the sword is named after her)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 04:48:23 AM by EmperorSkiratta »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:16:38 PM »
Sponsor debt would work pretty well. It's simple and it fits.

If she's mainly mental/social focused, Beast Change doesn't really fit. But stunts, or stunt-like Powers, would still be appropriate.

Something like Guide My Hand might work too. Take a point of Sponsor Debt to use her skill in place of your own for one roll.

Offline EmperorSkiratta

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 09:34:41 PM »
Guide my Hand actually works pretty well in my opinion. Reflavor it for the most part, and that might just work.