Author Topic: I'd enjoy some character feedback :)  (Read 1402 times)

Offline godpuncher

• Lurker
    • View Profile
I'd enjoy some character feedback :)
« on: November 25, 2015, 12:26:44 AM »
So, I have a concept. Run it past some people and though the Dresden subreddit. Would enjoy another look as well. This not the deepest character, but it will do for now. Mechanical thoughts would be good too.

Billy Larry Johhny

High concept: Destruction aficionado

Trouble: Minimal collateral damage

Aspects: That southern charm, I can get/make that, Knows both sides of the law, you gotta keep a smile, faded photo of mom

Skills:
+5: Guns, Craftsmanship
+4: endurance, athletics
+3: alertness, survival
+2: driving, discipline, rapport
+1: stealth, might, empathy, investigate, resource
+0: contacts (later, since new to town) 

stunts:
>Demo training
>Hand eye coordination
~~~
>Duck and cover: +2 to athletics vs explosives
>Don’t forget the arms and legs: +1 armor vs AOE (like shrapnel ;) )
>Explosives expert: +2 when dealing with explosives (does not apply to attacks)
>Quick rigging: +2 shifts of speed when using craft for making or repairing
>Built for destruction: +2 to any roll in which you tag or invoke an aspect created with explosives or using with craft for explosives.

?Needed or just something someone can do?
>Home made tools: use craftsmanship when first determining home workspace. To make a new workspace, spend 2 scenes for a level of workshop, up to the max level of your craftsmanship. If it is specialized, apply the normal -1 AFTER it is built (ie still takes the extra 2 scenes). To enhance an existing workshop you didn’t make still takes resources or time. All workspaces or enhancements with this stunt are for craftsmanship.

(and one of the following)
>Backer (family business): resource is considered excellent once per session when trying to acquire material aid. Limit is backer approval and that you won’t emberesses them using equipment. Limited to 1 gun, 1 armor or 1 crate of supplies (half dozen aspects worth of stuff)
?OR?
>Personal arsenal: Use guns skill when rolling resources to see if you have a particular bit of weaponry in your arsenal (ie the equipment part of resources) OR use craftsmanship to see if you have a particular explosive in your arsenal.

basic story: a Texan named billy is born into a interesting family. father and brother are gun smiths, mother is lawyer. cousins are cops, border patrol on one side and smugglers and moonshiners on the other. Billy is raised to the care of his own life, learns to fix houses, cars, guns, etc. also learns law (at least the parts about loopholes ;) ). mother eventually represents a leader of a mexican cartel, loses, is blamed and eventually kidnapped. Family on all sides loved the mom and band together to rescue her from mexico. proves to be very hard, but they run some under the radar paramilitary operations to try and get her out. they fail and she is killed. they swear revenge and go vigilante (without anyone really stopping them. they do it clean). years later, the cartel is in ruins and the last of those responsible is being tracked by billy. The 'big fish', the one who killed the mother, is a white court that billy is tracking down. Finds him in Philly (where group is). Knows the big fish has a taste for rare monster collecting. Billy joins the groups monster hunting to find the bastard and finish this. fin.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Been told that workshops are awful and annoying, so not even sure about the 'home made tools'. Also worried about explosives and magic (because of course we have 2 wizards). Planned on using old tech like Vietnam grenade launchers, dynamite and whatnot, idk, any thoughts on that?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: I'd enjoy some character feedback :)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 11:19:16 PM »
Backstory looks solid.

Kudos for making a bomber. I played an explosives expert in an offline game a while back and it was lots of fun.

Not so sure about those last two Aspects. When would you Invoke or Compel them?

If you ask me, the workshop rules are pointless and not worth using. So I wouldn't bother with Home Made Tools.

Not sure about Backer. What do you mean by "excellent" Resources? It might be better to handle this sort of thing by spending FP on Declarations.

Don't Forget The Arms And Legs seems a bit redundant. Fantastic dodges will probably suffice against bombs, and when they don't you'll probably prefer a FP to a point of armour.

Built For Destruction seems too powerful to me.

Stunts otherwise look good.

As for explosives and magic, I say just bring the bombs and earn some FP from accidental explosions. Stuff blowing up is fun.

Offline godpuncher

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 01:37:39 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts.  :)

The two aspects were made with intention. The 'keep a smile' was for emotional stress and when he does story telling. The 'faded photo of mom' was part of his vengeance backstory (ie something to remind him of her, like dresdens silver pendent).

I've heard the workshops are pointless, so yea...

Backer could be handled by declarations, think I'll instead just keep it in mind as a explanation for declarations.

Wish armor was better... seems like unless you get it in addition to something, it is pointless...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 02:55:46 AM »
Worn armour and enchanted item armour are very good, and the armour that Toughness provides is pretty nice to have. So it's not that armour in general is pointless.

But stunt armour and Evocation armour aren't great.