Author Topic: Hard time with new player's concept -- need some advice  (Read 6995 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Hard time with new player's concept -- need some advice
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2015, 06:19:11 PM »
Let us know how it goes.

Passivity + Fate usually don't mix very well, the system assumes you will do something. This seems like she could be an amulet on one of the other players, if there isn't a lot more to her character than that.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 04:20:04 AM »
Passivity + Fate usually don't mix very well, the system assumes you will do something.

I would suggest that you make it clear that the luck can be passive from the character's perspective, even as the player is actively using the power and making luck declarations (and tracking it, since the power should be subject to limitation appropriate to the level of refresh spent).  If it's too passive, it might end up as you narrating an easy game and removing any sense of challenge for the other players.

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 02:08:39 PM »
I would suggest that you make it clear that the luck can be passive from the character's perspective, even as the player is actively using the power and making luck declarations (and tracking it, since the power should be subject to limitation appropriate to the level of refresh spent).  If it's too passive, it might end up as you narrating an easy game and removing any sense of challenge for the other players.
That's been one of my primary concerns to date.  I'll give her the "power" to decide when/where it's used but limit it as you suggest.

Thanks again for all the help, folks.
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 03:06:53 PM »
That's been one of my primary concerns to date.  I'll give her the "power" to decide when/where it's used but limit it as you suggest.

Thanks again for all the help, folks.
If it becomes something over-powered, or that they rely on too much to get around the challenges, you could always give her an actual "Luck Jar".  Every time the table wants to use the power beneficially, they have to put a dollar into the jar, which goes to gaming session snack fund.  Then you let market pressures provide the limitations, while simultaneously pigging out of Cheese-Its   ;D
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 03:27:41 PM »
This sounds like an aspect. If she doesn't want to actively control it.

It will come into play when you compel it and it will benefit her when she invokes it.

If you want karma, let her invoke the aspect for free which gives you a free compel at a later date. 

No need for a power or a track.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 03:29:05 PM »
If it becomes something over-powered, or that they rely on too much to get around the challenges, you could always give her an actual "Luck Jar".  Every time the table wants to use the power beneficially, they have to put a dollar into the jar, which goes to gaming session snack fund.  Then you let market pressures provide the limitations, while simultaneously pigging out of Cheese-Its   ;D

Double post.  This is brilliant.

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2015, 05:14:16 PM »
This sounds like an aspect. If she doesn't want to actively control it.

It will come into play when you compel it and it will benefit her when she invokes it.

If you want karma, let her invoke the aspect for free which gives you a free compel at a later date. 

No need for a power or a track.
This is a reserve idea I'm keeping on hand in case the player's preferred method of the Karma track and such doesn't pan out.  She's got some RP experience but DF is totally new/different and she's already having a little difficulty wrapping her head around aspects and their function.  The karma track is a little closer to her stat-based game experience and will hopefully provide a crutch until she's ready to dive it deeper.  When and/if we can go with the aspect approach (my preferred choice) I'm sure things will get even better (less bookkeeping at minimum).

The holidays keep us from playing (too many family and other social obligations getting in the way) until after New Year.  We'll get cracking before Valentines.  Until then I've nothing to relate, but will make sure I give some feedback once I have it.

Thanks again, y'all... very helpful.
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.