Author Topic: How expensive it can be?  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
How expensive it can be?
« on: October 28, 2015, 12:04:57 PM »
I try to converse character from another system in DFRPG. There's some confusion with one Power (Toughness).
How much refresh I must spend in situation, when character actually can be killed without Catch, but for this her stress-track must be completely fulfilled... during one exchange? If it won't, ALL stress-boxes will be recovered in next turn.
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: How expensive it can be?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 01:57:39 PM »
I don't think it's even possible like that. That is, if I understand this correctly.

Just to make it clear, you mean that in one exchange, the stress track would have to go from something like this:

OOOO (OO)

to something like this:

XXXX (XX)

or they get to completely clear their stress?

That's going to be really hard to do, because that's going completely against how the mechanics around stress work. A big problem with this is that the target can only take 1 stress box for any attack. Which means you need at least a number of attacks per exchange and therefore characters in the scene as the stress track is long. If you go with a hulking size, mythic toughness monster, you'll quickly see how absurd this can get. Also, hitting the 1 shift stress box can be quite complicated, if you are running around with a weapon.

Keep in mind that you can still kill a character with toughness, it's just, well, tougher to do, because they soak part of the stress they take with the armor the power provides.

If you want to go recovery, go recovery. The power is already there, and it works well. Is there any particular reason you'd need a power exactly like this? What exactly are you trying to do?
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 02:31:27 PM »
Hm-m... Do you know the nWoD (2nd edition) system?
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »
Not at all, I'm afraid.

BUT, that's not really a problem. When it comes to converting things to Fate, an important thing to remember is "convert the setting, not the rules". So while the nWoD system might have a mechanic that allows you to clear hitpoints or something, what is behind that? What truth about the system is it representing? That's the thing to take into account when coming up with a power to represent this.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 03:27:25 PM »
So while the nWoD system might have a mechanic that allows you to clear hitpoints or something, what is behind that? What truth about the system is it representing?
:)
The truth is "while nWoD werewolf in his fight-form (I think, Human form [+2], cuz it has some limits) it's really hard to kill it without Silver (Catch [+2 or +3]) because she to the end of turn (exchange) she completely heal ALL damage except of those inflicted by silver. So, if you have no silver, you at least should have a good Weapon, good dicepool and many mates to kill her during one exchange. But... it's still possible so it's not true Invulnerability"
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 03:29:23 PM by Tirs »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 03:33:28 PM »
Well, recovery does pretty much exactly that. Stress doesn't have to be damage, it's basically how much hurt you can take, how much fuel you're running on, etc., before it begins to show. With Mythical Recovery plus Mythical Toughness, you're pretty much there. A beast like that is going to be all kinds of tough to kill, even though it might not model exactly the way it works in nWoD.

Otherwise, you could simply go with physical immunity to anything but silver. That pretty much gets the same point across, you can't really hurt them without silver, but it reduces the hassle of bookkeeping significantly.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 04:10:17 PM »
OK, thanks.  :)
I just want to make conversion for nWoD-splats' characters (yep, Dresdenverse vs World of Darkness is my idee fixe). The problem is that it's hard too compare because of settings and systems are different.

Offline WadeL

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 07:20:26 PM »
Could you do something like Physical Immunity with a Catch of "Attacks that kill you in one turn"? I know it is sort of backwards because you won't know what qualifies to the end of the turn, but it seems an acceptable compromise for the "If you don't kill me instantly you don't even hurt me at all" effect.

But, yeah, I definitely wouldn't try and convert stuff on a mechanic by mechanic level. The Garou form's ability, on a setting level, is less "Instantly heals damage from turn to turn", and more "Freakishly difficult to injure when in Garou form because of extremely rapid regeneration".  I'd go with something like Mythic Recovery and Inhuman Toughness for them honestly.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 08:05:01 PM »
I'd simulate that with Physical Immunity, definitely, with a +4 catch of "Silver or ludicrous overkill".  It's essentially the Loup Garou or the Skinwalker - impossible to permanently harm if you don't have its weakness, at least without doing something absurd like luring it into a nuclear test.

Well, actually, I'd probably simulate that with Supernatural Toughness & Supernatural Recovery, with a catch of "Silver", and an addendum that - unless you were using ludicrous overkill (or silver) - its catch does not include the ghoul's catch of "stays dead when killed".  That way it's possible for your PCs to actually drive off such a monster, and the only thing that's really off the table is a take-out result killing it without using either silver or extreme measures.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 09:34:46 PM »
Another question - which level of Fists chacaters should have ta fight like this characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJMHd7-LL1k

Offline WadeL

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 05:33:25 PM »
Another question - which level of Fists chacaters should have ta fight like this characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJMHd7-LL1k

Great or Superb Fists seems pretty reasonable. Skill levels are pretty subjective, and don't try to map closely to real world levels of proficiency like World of Darkness does.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 06:18:49 PM »
Great or Superb Fists seems pretty reasonable. Skill levels are pretty subjective, and don't try to map closely to real world levels of proficiency like World of Darkness does.

I agree.

It's subjective, really.  Use the adjective ladder.

ŠŠ
Mediocre (+0) indicates a lack of either
talent or training.
ŠŠ Average (+1) indicates a novice level of
training, or a high degree of talent with
no formal training.
ŠŠ Fair (+2) and Good (+3) indicate journeyman
or “professional” capacity, or a
nearly inhuman degree of talent.
ŠŠ Great (+4) and Superb (+5) indicate
veteran or masterful capacity, or the
combination of extreme talent and good
training.
ŠŠ Fantastic (+6) and above skirt the
boundaries of natural human capacity.

Use this as a guide.  They are definitely professionals but probably the top of their profession.  So, probably +4 or +5.  They aren't supernaturally talented, though.

The fact that they can take an unbelievable amount of punishment tells me they have endurance of +4 or, more likely, 5.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 03:38:25 AM »
I'd say that Endurance is their apex skill, at Superb and probably with stunts improving it.  Depending on how the rest of their skills are broken down, Fists or Weapons would be at Great or Superb with at least one stunt relating to each.