Author Topic: Comments thread for "The Laws of Magic: Part 8 of 8"  (Read 21108 times)

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Comments thread for "The Laws of Magic: Part 8 of 8"
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »
"Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril."  Oscar Wilde

And maybe the peril of others as well?
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline newtinmpls

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 09:54:43 PM »
"The Law against Outside is the only one that forbids even doing research on the matter. So, going with my theory that the Laws are rule-of-thumb statements of metaphysical reality, there must be something about even asking questions that is inherently dangerous."

Think of Socrates...

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 10:04:08 PM »
The Law against Outside is the only one that forbids even doing research on the matter. So, going with my theory that the Laws are rule-of-thumb statements of metaphysical reality, there must be something about even asking questions that is inherently dangerous.

Or the power and knowledge offered by the Outsiders is so tempting, while the threat they pose is so subtle and insidious, that the Council doesn't trust people to realize the danger before it's too late.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 12:07:23 AM »
That would certainly fit how the Council thinks; but I like the idea that the basic concept of the Laws are sound (if not totally understood).  The Council now interprets the Laws in a self-serving manner...but there is a hard and fast reason why they are there.

Perhaps thinking too much, knowing too much about the Outsiders does automatically weaken the Doors.  And how much is too much?  This isn't an area that you really want to do research in...
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2011, 03:10:57 AM »
maybe that is what Thomas is fighting in the novella Backup
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2011, 04:35:47 AM »
maybe that is what Thomas is fighting in the novella Backup

Sensible.  If they are Cthulu-esque monsters then the doors might merely be composed of how much they don't fit into our universe.  The more they are understood by denizens of our reality, the more they do fit into it (so to speak).

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2011, 07:08:52 AM »
Sensible.  If they are Cthulu-esque monsters then the doors might merely be composed of how much they don't fit into our universe.  The more they are understood by denizens of our reality, the more they do fit into it (so to speak).
...and seeking knowledge of them only gives them power so the 'outer gates' in question is humanity's ignorance and willful disbelief.
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-