Author Topic: help with character based on music  (Read 6102 times)

Offline Theodore Rockwell

• Participant
    • View Profile
help with character based on music
« on: September 11, 2015, 11:24:52 PM »
My group is going back to DFRPG mid october and I have an interesting idea for a character, but need some help with how magic works for him. 

The story goes that his grandfather was an exceptionally talented and rather egotistical musician.  Such an ego that he even challenged the devil to a contest.  Yes, the song "Devil went down to Georgia" is real.  So now the devil has his goons out making trouble for this guys family.  They are all exceptional musicians, and with the help of that "fiddle" have some degree of magical abilities.  I am going to be playing him with some ego.  He is more of a social character.  Combat wise he is more back line.  I need help with the magic aspect.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: help with character based on music
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 12:45:39 AM »
High Performance and an Item of Power golden fiddle giving Incite Effect or ordinary spellcasting with Alternate Magical Paradigm is how I'd do it.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 12:55:40 AM »
I would go with Alternate Magical Paradigm as well, though I usually grant my players that without paying a fate point, but only allow it if it fits the character concept. In this case, replacing discipline with performance seems reasonable enough. Maybe Conviction with (Stage) Presence as well.

The fiddle should probably be an item of power, yes. I would probably go with a music themed channeling, focus slots for defensive stuff, so you can buff your allies.
Unless the character has his own magic that the fiddle just helped bring to the front. In that case, you could drop the Item of Power and take the power yourself and then treat the fiddle as a focus item.

Marked by Power seems like a good fit as well, though not directly related to magic.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 02:44:49 PM »
I would go with Alternate Magical Paradigm as well, though I usually grant my players that without paying a fate point, but only allow it if it fits the character concept. In this case, replacing discipline with performance seems reasonable enough. Maybe Conviction with (Stage) Presence as well.

The fiddle should probably be an item of power, yes. I would probably go with a music themed channeling, focus slots for defensive stuff, so you can buff your allies.
Unless the character has his own magic that the fiddle just helped bring to the front. In that case, you could drop the Item of Power and take the power yourself and then treat the fiddle as a focus item.

Marked by Power seems like a good fit as well, though not directly related to magic.

I really only make "Alternate Magical Paradigm" cost extra if someone tries to use it with things like fists, athletics, and endurance because that is definitely more powerful.  Having it with performance skills isn't any more powerful than the basic magic set, and may be noticeably weaker if mental enemies are common (like WCVs).

So basically call it Channeling but use Performance in place of discipline, Presence in place of conviction, and keep Lore where it is.  Easy enough.  I'd make the fiddle a focus item, personally, because I'd prefer to have the ability to use magic by singing, tapping out a beat, etc.  But if you're saying the power comes from the fiddle than make it an IoP.  To optimize refresh, add a point of Refinement on, or make it Evocation instead of Thaumaturgy.

Thematically, Air or Spirit would work well, or a different element like Music (work with your GM as to what it's limits should be).  If you go Evocation, Air, Spirit, and maybe Fire (since it's a bit infernal).

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 03:54:26 PM »
Sponsored magic might be appropriate here.   

Offline Theclawmasheen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 08:28:56 PM »
Alternatively, if he's more of a social character than he doesn't really need the full magic package, so I would take Incite Emotion with all the upgrades and just attach it to the fiddle as an IoP.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 08:40:29 PM »
Alternatively, if he's more of a social character than he doesn't really need the full magic package, so I would take Incite Emotion with all the upgrades and just attach it to the fiddle as an IoP.

This is a great idea. Take different emotions based on what kind of music you are playing.

Invoke sadness, joy, fear etc...

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 08:46:33 PM »
This is a great idea. Take different emotions based on what kind of music you are playing.

Invoke sadness, joy, fear etc...

Given it's the Devil's Fiddle, I'm not sure invoking joy is on the menu :P

+2 rebate
-0 Summonable Bow
-10 Potent Lasting Emotion At Range (Fear, Wrath, Despair, Lust, Sloth, Envy, Pride)

This is what popped into my head.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 08:49:34 PM »
The seven deadly sins, great idea. Though all at once might be a bit much, so you could start with only 1 sin if refresh is tight and build up to that. 1 refresh should be affordable in any case.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 08:56:40 PM »
Given it's the Devil's Fiddle, I'm not sure invoking joy is on the menu :P

This is what popped into my head.
I disagree.  He made a deal with he devil to be a great fiddler.  Part of what makes a deal worth makin is the promise of happiness.  And Joy is an excellent way to tempt people - especially if it's mixed with revelry. 

I'd just have a good aspect attached to it so that anything good can be compelled to turn to shit.   

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 09:00:30 PM »
I agree with dragoon on the joy part. Joy doesn't really fit. It might be something in the same area, but still vastly different. Something like a drug high, maybe, that feels really good, but is far from being the actual thing.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 09:01:05 PM »
I agree with dragoon on the joy part. Joy doesn't really fit. It might be something in the same area, but still vastly different. Something like a drug high, maybe, that feels really good, but is far from being the actual thing.

Ecstasy. That's the word we want.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 09:04:03 PM »
Ecstasy. That's the word we want.
Perfect.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 09:13:29 PM »
I disagree.  He made a deal with he devil to be a great fiddler.  Part of what makes a deal worth makin is the promise of happiness.  And Joy is an excellent way to tempt people - especially if it's mixed with revelry. 

I'd just have a good aspect attached to it so that anything good can be compelled to turn to shit.

That's a reasonable point--but I'd say the Devil's Gifts are Tainted and using full-on Incite Emotion is still mindrape. Maybe you attach a Stunt to it too, for a +2 on Performance with the fiddle (that might too broad a case, but you get my point). That wouldn't be tainted but for Compels for things to go wrong.

The seven deadly sins, great idea. Though all at once might be a bit much, so you could start with only 1 sin if refresh is tight and build up to that. 1 refresh should be affordable in any case.

Heh, thanks. It's not exactly the SDS; I omitted Greed and Gluttony for Fear and Despair. And of course dropping emotions/sins is absolutely possible. Starting with 1 emotion and full upgrade costs -2 (-3 with the above mentioned stunt), which is a good price for what it is.

EDIT: You might also be able to justify a custom Modular Abilities for the emotions/sins with a fixed list instead of paying for each one separately.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:29:00 PM by dragoonbuster »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 04:44:22 AM »
I really only make "Alternate Magical Paradigm" cost extra if someone tries to use it with things like fists, athletics, and endurance because that is definitely more powerful.

I disagree with that last bit. Fists is actually pretty weak for a spellcaster, since they have better attacks available, and most characters don't want to buy Endurance above Good.

Anyway, the reason I prefer to charge for AMP is that otherwise there's no mechanical reason ever to cast with a non-apex skill. Look at Harry's basic sheet: he has Endurance and Intimidation above Lore and Discipline. If AMP was free, why wouldn't he use them to cast?

That's a reasonable point--but I'd say the Devil's Gifts are Tainted and using full-on Incite Emotion is still mindrape.

I don't think it's very much like rape.