Author Topic: Stress, Concessions, and Consequences - I think I've been doing it wrong  (Read 4589 times)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Stress, Concessions, and Consequences - I think I've been doing it wrong
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 02:14:41 PM »
Thanks everyone. So I have been doing it right. As long as someone is willing/is able to take stress or can soak incoming stress by taking consequences, a character is still in the game. All his stress can be full, as long as he has consequences, he isn't taken out. It isn't until at least one point of stress "gets through" stress boxes and consequences that a character is taken out. Though a character can concede before that happens.

Choosing not to take a consequence and be taken out isn't a concession.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »
The easy way to tell the difference between a concession and a take out is that the concession has to happen before the dice are rolled, the take out after. Also, concessions give the player as many fate points as he took in consequences, take outs do not.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 07:08:57 PM »
The easy way to tell the difference between a concession and a take out is that the concession has to happen before the dice are rolled, the take out after. Also, concessions give the player as many fate points as he took in consequences, take outs do not.

Incorrect. A take-out and concession both give you FPs for each consequence you take. Either way, each consequence is considered to have been compelled towards your loss. It says so right in the book.

The way to tell the difference between a concession and a take-out is that a concession is "loser"-narrated loss condition, and a take-out is a "winner"-narrated loss condition. That's entire point of the mechanic.

EDIT: The book talks about "Cashing Out" on pg 206 of YS, for reference.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 07:44:25 PM by dragoonbuster »
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 07:49:23 PM »
Incorrect. A take-out and concession both give you FPs for each consequence you take. Either way, each consequence is considered to have been compelled towards your loss. It says so right in the book.

The way to tell the difference between a concession and a take-out is that a concession is "loser"-narrated loss condition, and a take-out is a "winner"-narrated loss condition. That's entire point of the mechanic.

EDIT: The book talks about "Cashing Out" on pg 206 of YS, for reference.

Huh. Guess I've been doing it wrong then.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 11:53:34 AM »
Huh. Guess I've been doing it wrong then.

Yeah, I didn't catch that I was doing that bit wrong until Fate Core came out.