Author Topic: Item of Power Cost  (Read 1985 times)

Offline cetra02

• Participant
    • View Profile
Item of Power Cost
« on: August 10, 2015, 09:35:39 PM »
I am going to be playing a Scion of Thor who has Thor's belt, which doubles the strength of the wielder.  In practical terms it give you the next Strength power up from what you have.  If my Scion has Inhuman Strength without the belt, how would I cost the Item of Power refresh?  Would I only need to pay the difference of 2 refresh to get Supernatural Strength, or would I be paying full cost on top of my Inhuman Strength?

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Item of Power Cost
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 09:38:13 PM »
Just the difference in cost, -2.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 09:41:20 PM »
If we go strictly by RAW, each level of Strength/Toughness/etc. replaces the level before it, so you'd be paying -4 for the Supernatural Strength, which would then get the bonus from the IoP. It'd mean basically getting the upgrade for free, given the +2 bonus, but that's at the cost of losing it if you lose the belt without any gain in refresh to compensate for it.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:18:46 PM »
You're not the first to have this idea. This is from the wiki:

MEGINGJORO [-1]
Description: Thor's wolf-hide belt. Doubles its wearer's strength.
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your possession of this item.
Skills Affected: Might, Fists, Weapons
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a belt. Pretty stylish.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with certain powerful magical rituals.
[+1] One-Time Discount. A belt isn't exactly hard to hide.
[-2] Twofold Strength. Megingjoro increases its wearer's strength. As long as the wearer maintains physical contact with Megingjoro, increase that wearer's strength by one step. (Normal strength becomes Inhuman, Inhuman becomes Supernatural, etc.)

and I think the approach shown here is a good one.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 10:28:52 PM »
You're not the first to have this idea. This is from the wiki:

MEGINGJORO [-1]
Description: Thor's wolf-hide belt. Doubles its wearer's strength.
Skills Affected: Might, Fists, Weapons
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a belt. Pretty stylish.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with certain powerful magical rituals.
[+1] One-Time Discount. A belt isn't exactly hard to hide.
[-2] Twofold Strength. Megingjoro increases its wearer's strength. As long as the wearer maintains physical contact with Megingjoro, increase that wearer's strength by one step. (Normal strength becomes Inhuman, Inhuman becomes Supernatural, etc.)

and I think the approach shown here is a good one.

This is what we did for the exact same scenario you laid out, cetra02, for a PC over at RagnarokNYC who is a Scion of Thor. It has worked out well.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline cetra02

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 10:30:39 PM »
Sweet, thanks for the replies.  Did anyone ever come up with an in game use for the iron gloves?

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 11:49:34 PM »
Sweet, thanks for the replies.  Did anyone ever come up with an in game use for the iron gloves?

Not in our game. Our Scion doesn't have Mjolnir, as Thor still carries it. He has his own IoP hammer, but it doesn't have the same history as Thor's and therefore doesn't need special gloves. The only reason Thor needed them, as I understand it, is because Mjolnir's handle was forged too short thanks to Loki-in-the-form-of-a-gadfly biting Brokkr in the eye during forging.

If you were interested in the gloves, you could consider them "part" of the hammer, and therefore if you don't have the gloves the hammer can't be used. Alternatively, you could attach the gloves as a Limitation to the hammer if your table/GM is okay with it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 01:45:27 AM »
Also from the wiki:

JARNGREIPR [-2]
Description: Jarngreipr is an iron gauntlet, originally worn by Thor. It provides protection from lightning.
Skills Affected:
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's an iron gauntlet. Weapon 1 with Fists, and good justification for unarmed parries.
[+1] One-Time Discount. It's not hard to hide a glove.
[-8] Physical Immunity. The owner of Jarngreipr is immune to electricity as long as he remains in physical contact with the gauntlet.
[+5] The Catch (Not Electricity). The gauntlet's protection is rather narrowly focused.

Dunno whether that's really worth taking, but it is what it is.