Author Topic: Sense8 Characters (S1 Spoilers)  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
Sense8 Characters (S1 Spoilers)
« on: July 02, 2015, 05:10:41 PM »
So I absolutely loved Netflix's new show Sense8, and after finishing the first season got to thinking about how the characters would be statted up.

For those unfamiliar with the show, sensates are linked humans who can share their thoughts and abilities with people born within their 'cluster' (clusters ranging in size from 2-12).  Furthermore, they can 'visit' any other sensate outside their cluster if they've made eye contact.

So here's a general write up for a typical Sensate Template:

Sensate
Musts:  A sensate must have a High Concept reflecting their ability (Sensate Cop, Sensate Actor, etc.)
A sensate must have the following abilities:
  • [-1] Soulgaze- If two sensates from different clusters make eye contact, they become linked and can 'visit' each other mentally, when combined with Sensate Connection (below)  Members of a cluster have this connection by default.
  • [-1] Sensate Connection (reskinned Ghost Speaker)- A sensate can speak to the other members of their cluster, and share their basic senses (sight, sound, etc.).  If two sensates outside a cluster have soulgazed this also applies.
  • [-1 or more] Mimic Abilities- Sensates are able to draw on the memories and abilities of other members of their cluster.  Early after their 'awakening' as sensates, this would be a simple [-1] to accidentally access each other's skills, but as the sensates grow, they can access more of each other's abilities.  Soulgaze DOES NOT grant this ability- it is strictly within a cluster.

Optional Abilities:
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)

I'd love some feedback, and I'm going to try to write up some of the characters over the next few days.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Sense8 Characters (S1 Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 10:11:02 PM »
The basic ideas sound solid, and the costs sound more or less appropriate, but I think you need to spell out the effects a bit more. Saying the Powers are analogous to existing Powers helps a bit, but I think the differences are big enough that you can't rely on that for everything.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 03:02:51 PM »
Sensate
Sensates are human individuals who have the ability to be mentally linked to other sensates, and share their senses.  Any sensates who have made eye contact can mentally 'visit' the other's location.  Sensates are born with these powers dormant, which must be awakened by another sensate.  Sensates are born into clusters (sensates sharing their birthday) ranging in size from 2-12 members.  Cluster members can, in additionally to already being linked, can share their skills and abilities.

Musts:  A sensate must have a High Concept reflecting their ability (Sensate Cop, Sensate Actor, etc.)
A sensate must have the following abilities:
  • [-1] Link Sensates (reskinned Soulgaze)- If two sensates from different clusters make eye contact, they become linked and can 'visit' each other mentally.  This connection can be accessed by either sensate at will from any distance.  After the connection is established, its only known damper is heavy drugging.  Members of a cluster have this connection by default.
  • [-1] Sensate Connection (reskinned Ghost Speaker)- A sensate can speak to the other members of their cluster, and share their basic senses (sight, sound, etc.)  This connection can be accessed accidentally, or deliberately.  The connection can be between any number of the sensates within the cluster.  If two sensates outside a cluster have established a link, this ability also applies.  Furthermore, if members A and B of a cluster have both 'linked' with sensate C from outside their cluster, they can have a three-way conversation- however, other members of their cluster cannot 'visit' C until they have linked with C as well.
  • [-1 or more] Mimic Abilities- Sensates are able to draw on the memories and abilities of other members of their cluster, and ONLY their cluster.  Early after their 'awakening' as sensates, this would be a simple [-1] to accidentally access each other's skills, but as the sensates grow in power, they can access more of each other's abilities.  'Link Sensates' DOES NOT grant this ability- it is strictly within a cluster.

Optional Abilities:
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »
William Gorski

High Concept:  Chicago's Sensate Cop
Trouble
(click to show/hide)
Other Aspects:
  • Savior Behavior
  • Not Just Letter of the Law
  • Loyalty Through Thick and Thin

Powers/Stunts:
  • [-1]Link Sensates
  • [-1]Sensate Connection
  • [-4]Mimic Abilities
  • Pin the Tail
  • Scene of the Crime

Skills:
  • +5: Investigation, Alertness
  • +4: Guns, Athletics
  • +3: Fists, Discipline
  • +2: Driving, Resources, Endurance
  • +1: Rapport, Stealth, Contacts, Intimidation, Weapons

Refresh: -8

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 03:36:44 AM »
Character looks pretty solid to me, though I've never seen the show.

The additional explanation on the Powers helps, but there's still some vagueness there. For example, what exactly does William get for his 4 Refresh of Mimic Abilities? What abilities can he mimic, and what limitations are there on his mimicry?

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 02:12:51 PM »
I haven't watched the show either, but I think the Mimic Abilities is more for stunts and skills than powers.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 03:16:02 PM »
Character looks pretty solid to me, though I've never seen the show.

The additional explanation on the Powers helps, but there's still some vagueness there. For example, what exactly does William get for his 4 Refresh of Mimic Abilities? What abilities can he mimic, and what limitations are there on his mimicry?
Primarily skills, presumably also stunts.  In the original [-X] Mimic Abilities, you can "steal" X different skills or stunts and use them as your own.  You can do this to theoretically anyone.

For my sensate write-up, I treated it the same way except a) you can't take skills/stunts from anyone you meet like the original ability but b) you can only draw on abilities from within your cluster- how much you can borrow at one time varies on the experience level.  Initially, they draw on random abilities instinctively/by accident, but by later in the show they theoretically can draw on each others' skills more (another clustermate's primary skillset, instead of just a single skill).  They can swap these at will.

I haven't watched the show either, but I think the Mimic Abilities is more for stunts and skills than powers.
Correct.  The only powers in this world are that of sensates, whose don't possess any supernatural strength/speed/recovery etc.  Just the connection to share their human skills/stunts.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 10:01:10 PM »
So, he can take any 4 skills or stunts from anyone in his cluster at will, with no particular limitation? And his cluster-mates don't lose their skills while he uses them?

That sounds dubious balance-wise. Though I guess it depends on the composition of his cluster.

How does the random instinctive borrowing of weak sensates work?

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 03:22:03 PM »
So, he can take any 4 skills or stunts from anyone in his cluster at will, with no particular limitation? And his cluster-mates don't lose their skills while he uses them?

That sounds dubious balance-wise. Though I guess it depends on the composition of his cluster.
Yea, balance was a concern here.  The other cluster-mate in theory, mentally switches places or is in some sort of very basic autopilot.

Perhaps some sort of time limitation might help the balance.  They never seem to draw on each others's abilities for more than a minute at a time.  May a X uses/day sort of system additionally.

How does the random instinctive borrowing of weak sensates work?
Initially it's just accidentally tapping into each others' senses.  As it person A is listening to loud music on her headphones, and person B a continent away thinks his neighbors are playing loud music.  Or seeing a different person in the mirror.  A combat example early is when one of the sensates- a bus driver in Nairobi- is getting attacked in a rural village.  He accidentally calls upon a clustermate, a Chicago cop, who is able to fire a gun with much greater precision than the original sensate.  It's literally only a single action.  Meanwhile, the Nairobi driver briefly sees himself in the Chicago PD station.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 04:39:30 PM »
Yea, balance was a concern here.  The other cluster-mate in theory, mentally switches places or is in some sort of very basic autopilot.
Initially it's just accidentally tapping into each others' senses.  As it person A is listening to loud music on her headphones, and person B a continent away thinks his neighbors are playing loud music.  Or seeing a different person in the mirror.  A combat example early is when one of the sensates- a bus driver in Nairobi- is getting attacked in a rural village.  He accidentally calls upon a clustermate, a Chicago cop, who is able to fire a gun with much greater precision than the original sensate.  It's literally only a single action.  Meanwhile, the Nairobi driver briefly sees himself in the Chicago PD station.

The "weak" sharing seems more the function of compels and invokes of their "Sensate" ascpect. The "single action" skill use could be an invoke for effect to do a 1-time skill replacement roll. This sounds like how you'd invoke these abilities before taking the actual named Powers.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 07:25:54 PM »

Perhaps some sort of time limitation might help the balance.  They never seem to draw on each others's abilities for more than a minute at a time.  May a X uses/day sort of system additionally.

I recall there was also a scene where the African borrowed fight skills from the Asian while she was in a fight.  Other than some brief disorientation, the Asian kept her skill, and won both fights at the same time.  That would be a major problem in a standard game where they all get together into the same encounter.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 05:02:15 PM »
I recall there was also a scene where the African borrowed fight skills from the Asian while she was in a fight.  Other than some brief disorientation, the Asian kept her skill, and won both fights at the same time.  That would be a major problem in a standard game where they all get together into the same encounter.

You could have a standard 1-round of inaction if your skills are being "borrowed".

I believe the two fights technically did not happen concurrently.  Sun (the fighter from Seoul) was briefly utilized by Capheus (in Nairobi) BEFORE returning to win her own fight in Seoul).

Usually you wouldn't have 2 in the same place.  I'd assume you'd have one of the following:
  • A campaign with a single sensate, whose cluster is pre-defined.
  • A campaign with a cluster, each in a different city/country.  They never/rarely meet in person.
  • If the whole cluster is in the same location, it wouldn't make much sense to share abilities, just have each person do their thing.

I think the biggest issue is finding a way to put a large, balancing limitation on the ability.
[/list]

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 03:51:47 PM »
I've watched four episode of the series now and I think the round of inaction is probably a good idea, but another idea could be that the skill being borrowed is reduced to mediocre for one round instead. That said, I'll have to watch the rest of the series, see if the moment of confusion reduces/disappears once the characters get used to being sensates.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 06:21:50 PM »
I've watched four episode of the series now and I think the round of inaction is probably a good idea, but another idea could be that the skill being borrowed is reduced to mediocre for one round instead. That said, I'll have to watch the rest of the series, see if the moment of confusion reduces/disappears once the characters get used to being sensates.

Not being a fan of inaction unless you've sacrificed your turn previously a la Riposte/Redirected Force/something similar, I think a Mediocre roll is more appropriate. It still gives you a shot, and you can still burn tags or FPs to get something done.

Absolute inaction is counter to FATE's concepts in my opinion.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 04:32:37 PM »
Not being a fan of inaction unless you've sacrificed your turn previously a la Riposte/Redirected Force/something similar, I think a Mediocre roll is more appropriate. It still gives you a shot, and you can still burn tags or FPs to get something done.

Absolute inaction is counter to FATE's concepts in my opinion.

I agree.  It ties in with some of what we've seen.  In the example above, Sun (the fighter) lends her skill to the driver in Nairobi and temporarily loses some serious ground in her own fight.