Author Topic: Supewr-enchanted item  (Read 2158 times)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Supewr-enchanted item
« on: June 02, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »
Looking for a way to purchase an IoP without necessarily taking an Aspect that relates to the IoP.  I want to run a PC that could conceivably make the item without having to take the Aspect relating to it; to be honest, "Bearer of 'X'" sounds rather pretentious to my ear; perhaps if the IoP in question didn't have the normal qualities that a true IoP would have like "Unbreakable" or the discount "It is what it is," reducing both the IoP rebate and the attributes of said item without otherwise adjusting whatever powers you may put into said item?
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Supewr-enchanted item
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 02:26:35 PM »
Then it's not an Item of Power.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
Just take the powers in that case and have an aspect saying Not Without My Sword! or something to that degree.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 03:22:38 PM »
I want to run a PC that could conceivably make the item without having to take the Aspect relating to it;
There's your aspect right there. I agree that "Bearer of X" sounds a bit pretentious, but that's perfectly fine when we are talking about a divine artifact or something along those lines. For your character, you could just as well go with "Look what I made" or "Experimental magical Prototype #387" or something along those lines. The aspect is there to give your item a story. If the story is "I made it myself", that's the story and can be tied into your aspects describing your character as a master artificer. If the item in question is an Item of Power, it seems like it is important enough to at least elude to it in your aspects.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline WadeL

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »
Or if your characters can conceivably make the item by themselves...

That's what Enchanted Item slots are for. You don't need to take Item of Power to represent something you've made with your item slots.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 04:32:05 PM »
There's your aspect right there. I agree that "Bearer of X" sounds a bit pretentious, but that's perfectly fine when we are talking about a divine artifact or something along those lines. For your character, you could just as well go with "Look what I made" or "Experimental magical Prototype #387" or something along those lines. The aspect is there to give your item a story. If the story is "I made it myself", that's the story and can be tied into your aspects describing your character as a master artificer. If the item in question is an Item of Power, it seems like it is important enough to at least elude to it in your aspects.
How about this...
Aspect: "Runemaster Extraordinaire"  plus a slightly modified IoP discount:
Superior Enchanted Item with a smaller discount -0/-1 to indicate that it's still a less powerful IoP?  I'm just suggesting this for storytelling purposes (the player's okay with a smaller discount).  Otherwise, still built like an IoP.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 05:00:53 PM »
How about this...
Aspect: "Runemaster Extraordinaire"  plus a slightly modified IoP discount:
Superior Enchanted Item with a smaller discount -0/-1 to indicate that it's still a less powerful IoP?  I'm just suggesting this for storytelling purposes (the player's okay with a smaller discount).  Otherwise, still built like an IoP.
Well, I would personally add a bit more to the aspect. "The Runemaster's staff has a knob on the end." But regardless, I wouldn't reduce the discount. If you are ok with the aspect linking to the item, it's fine. I think it's mainly so it can be compelled five ways from Sunday, both due to it going missing and due to such items often having a purpose or agenda. In this case, it could well be that they simply need to be recharged. You could also just take the powers you want and make it an item in the narrative sense, not in a mechanical one, which would void the discount as well.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 05:23:30 PM »
What's the problem with just using it mechanically as an Item of Power? I still don't get the idea behind all this modification.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 03:02:55 AM »
I don't really see the point either, to be honest. I'm not sure why you'd want to avoid having an Aspect associated with your item, but if you do...well, it won't break the game.

I get why you'd want to have made the item yourself, or have it breakable, but that's easy. Just say you made the item, or that's it's breakable, and otherwise use Item of Power as-is.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 04:00:44 AM »
Well, I would personally add a bit more to the aspect. "The Runemaster's staff has a knob on the end." But regardless, I wouldn't reduce the discount. If you are ok with the aspect linking to the item, it's fine. I think it's mainly so it can be compelled five ways from Sunday, both due to it going missing and due to such items often having a purpose or agenda. In this case, it could well be that they simply need to be recharged. You could also just take the powers you want and make it an item in the narrative sense, not in a mechanical one, which would void the discount as well.
This actually seems to make the most sense to me.  MY thanks to everyone for their time and input.