Author Topic: Refresh costing a limited teleport  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Dlanaan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Refresh costing a limited teleport
« on: May 22, 2015, 02:06:26 PM »
Hi,

One of the players in my game wants to make a magician (non-spellcasting) character whose power is based on the magic hat he uses. Specifically, the player wants the character to be able to reach into his hat and pull out objects that he has left in other locations, possibly regardless of size (e.g., he could pull a rabbit out of the hat, or a long-barreled sniper rifle). It sounds entertaining, especially if this is the character's only power. My problem is costing this refresh wise.

Obviously, the hat is an Item of Power. I just don't know the cost of the ability. Technically, the effect is something that could be achieved through Thaumaturgy (as indicated in the spellcasting section), but I guess that the player does not want to have to deal with the time restriction treating it as such would cost.

My initial thought is to treat it similar to potions, requiring a FP for something that has not been previously identified as being available, but otherwise allowing for closer to instant use. This still puts it in the 3 Refresh (before IoP discount) area, but I wanted to know if anyone else had suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Refresh costing a limited teleport
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 03:06:49 PM »

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 06:12:52 PM »
Hi,

One of the players in my game wants to make a magician (non-spellcasting) character whose power is based on the magic hat he uses. Specifically, the player wants the character to be able to reach into his hat and pull out objects that he has left in other locations, possibly regardless of size (e.g., he could pull a rabbit out of the hat, or a long-barreled sniper rifle). It sounds entertaining, especially if this is the character's only power. My problem is costing this refresh wise.

Obviously, the hat is an Item of Power. I just don't know the cost of the ability. Technically, the effect is something that could be achieved through Thaumaturgy (as indicated in the spellcasting section), but I guess that the player does not want to have to deal with the time restriction treating it as such would cost.

My initial thought is to treat it similar to potions, requiring a FP for something that has not been previously identified as being available, but otherwise allowing for closer to instant use. This still puts it in the 3 Refresh (before IoP discount) area, but I wanted to know if anyone else had suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks.

Potions as a mechanic is a good idea. Gives the hat a "limit" per session that can be increased over time w/ more refresh.

"Portals to this random arbitrary point" isn't quite within the Dresden paradigm of how magic works to me. For the hat to work, it'd have to open a portal to the Never at a localized spot, somehow reach out with some kind of energy across the entire Never to the specific place that corresponded to wherever his item is, open that Way, then pull the item across the intervening distance before depositing into the magician's hand. Sure, that's why IoP's exist, to bridge gaps like this, but I think it might be more interesting if he was actually conjuring things. Literally pulling them out of thin air. This means he has a weakness he's got to worry about! Since conjured items can be countered (read: Compels).  Figure:

Quote from: Magician's Hat!
+1 rebate (It's just a sweet tophat, man)
-1 It's All In The Wrist (Performance): Your base potion strength and Ritual Complexity is determined by your Performance skill instead of your Lore.
-2 Ritual: Conjuring
-2 Superior Conjuration (located in this post)
-X Refinement (add'l potion slots)

You might leave out the All In The Wrist stunt depending on skill build and/or whether you think it should be free to move those skills to Performance. This setup allows for more powerful conjurings given the ability to set up things via Declarations, such as going through a whole magical routine before reaching into the hat. And where's the circle? The inside rim of the hat, of course! When you reach inside, you've finished the spell and are breaking the circle to release it.

You could make the hat itself a focus item, if you want to devote item slots to that, for either conjuring or crafting strength/frequency.

Effectively what is happening here is that, with practice and preperation (potions), your guy can pull cool stuff off. If he needs something he hasn't practiced, he can do it, it'll just take some time (ritual). If he needs it now and hasn't practiced, it'll hurt (evothaum via Superior Conjuring). If you/he doesn't want the evothaum aspect to it, change Superior Conjuring to a stunt that makes the conjured items always look real.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline killking72

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 07:50:25 PM »
You could also just have the person thematically make a hat with the power "demense". Just use thaumaturgy to effectively give the PC demense for -2 refresh (my group does double refresh + duration) and then one shift for each spot on the time table.

Offline Dlanaan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 12:24:15 AM »
Wonderful. Thank you all for the ideas. I'll think about it some more and make a decision this weekend.