Author Topic: Zombies?  (Read 6373 times)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
Re: Zombies?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 02:07:41 PM »
ahem:

RE--zombies

check out todays B-movie comic

www.bmoviecomic.com

LOL
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 03:48:25 PM »
I totally get your sentiment and when I mentioned Romero it was ment only in reference to how the characters and zombies were introduced into the story.

I agree it would be cool to see zombies like you mention but I don't know if that could fit into the OP's storyline of kids trapped in a school surrounded by zombies, but then again I'm not sure of the direction of the story so maybe it could.
I think audiences are getting kind of bored by the whole "zombies created by a mutant virus" type of thing. Like in the B-movie cartoon, the most entertaining thing is finding creative ways to destroy them. They're a natural disaster, like an earthquake or a wildfire, and can't be considered really evil, because it's nobody's fault. Just fuel up the chainsaws and the flamethrowers to sterilize the area, and the problem's solved. Now, zombies that are deliberately created by someone like a Kemmler and enslaved to do his bidding, that's Evil with the capital E.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline fivestyle

• Posty McPostington
  • I like Coke and cold showers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 05:25:27 PM »
Well I agree but, I find that a zombie apocolypse without any explanation as to how or why the zombies exist can be very frightning and entertaing [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead[/url]
When you tack on well they exist because of pollution or some anger virus then that kind of kills the whole fear factor.

I'm sort of on the fence when it comes to having a "Kemmler" who directs the zombies. Now Jims book works very well, but I wouldn't consider that book a zombie novel. Even if there was a zombie book where the whole thing was focused on the zombies I still think that having a person controlling them overshadows the zombie horror and then it becomes not a zombie novel but a novel about a necromancer.

For me the horror in a good zombie story is the futility of it all. YOu don't know why the zombies are there, you dont know if they will ever go away, you don't know if you can ever be safe so it seems futile to even fight them or try to flee. It's the horror and thrill of desperation. For me if you add the controlling factor then you take all of that away. You know that guy made the zombies and you know that everything can go back to normal if you kill him. At that point it's not about the zombies or despertly trying to cling to life and civilization anymore. It's just about some hero(s) killing some villain.

Offline Stuart1512

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 04:05:25 PM »
I've already seen Shaun of the Dead like a bizzlion times since its one of my favourite movies, thanks for the tips guys.

Offline BlueStocking

• Posty McPostington
  • Caution: May cause loud.
    • View Profile
    • I twitter :D
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 09:10:27 PM »
I personally like not knowing what the crap is going on at first.  Mmmm, chaos.  I don't know if you saw, but on June 13th, a blogger started Blog Like It's The End of The World with the theme of a zombiegeddon.  So if you want some examples of zombie-tastic writing, go here: http://myelvesaredifferent.blogspot.com/2007/06/best-of-bliteotw-110.html.  (I'm Allaban Badr al Din on the list :D)

They might help with introducing the zombie attack.  Plus, they're fun to read :D
"So, you're saying that if we don't do something, everything will go wonkytaters?"
"Umm...is wonkytaters a bad thing?"
"Yes."
"Then yes.  Everything will go wonkytaters."

Offline SunPhoenix

• Conversationalist
  • Unlike some people Stupidity doesn't discriminate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 10:50:22 PM »
I'm sorry Shaun.

Wuh?

I said I'm sorry Shaun?(he farts)

O god! (and laughs) Stop doing that!

I'll stop doing it when you stop laughing!