Author Topic: Are Vamps and Werewolves too overdone?  (Read 17155 times)

Offline Velgron

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Are Vamps and Werewolves too overdone?
« on: September 19, 2007, 03:37:48 AM »
Thinking of writing first novel. Basic fantasy setting with elves and all that jazz, but im incorporating werewolves and vampires. Basic plot line is that the main character witnesses his family's slaughter at the hands of vampires and is saved by a werewolf. The child grows up and goes out for revenge however the vamps and wolves have formed an alliance through crime syndicates and so forth which makes things difficult etc... just wondering if this is too overdone or would be too stale.
If your going through hell keep going youll eventually get out

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Are Vamps and Werewolves too overdone?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 04:20:00 AM »
Thinking of writing first novel. Basic fantasy setting with elves and all that jazz, but im incorporating werewolves and vampires. Basic plot line is that the main character witnesses his family's slaughter at the hands of vampires and is saved by a werewolf. The child grows up and goes out for revenge however the vamps and wolves have formed an alliance through crime syndicates and so forth which makes things difficult etc... just wondering if this is too overdone or would be too stale.
Sounds kind of like a spinoff of Underworld, or Underworld: Evolution. Do you have a character that looks like Kate Beckinsale in a leather bodysuit?  :)
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Velgron

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 04:30:34 AM »
I wish I had a character as such as beckinsale. I realize that it does sound similar but what I stated was the broad plot line. I plan on now having the vamps and werewolves as enemies per se in this. They also wont stick to the shadows. The actual story will be much more complicated... but then again I just came up with this idea earlier today.
If your going through hell keep going youll eventually get out

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 05:40:16 AM »

IMO, yes. Vamps and werewolves are overdone. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find any sort of twist or new direction to make them interesting again.

Not as overdone as elves though. I have taken to tossing aside any book that introduces "mysterious, beautiful people, tall and graceful, their voices like music, eyes glinting with the knowledge of ages..." and rot such as that.

If I ever write a story involving elve sI'm gonna make them hideous insectoid things, cannibalistic and stinking, who speak in gutteral grunts and clicks. :P
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:21:07 PM »
IMO
If I ever write a story involving elve sI'm gonna make them hideous insectoid things, cannibalistic and stinking, who speak in gutteral grunts and clicks. :P

Kinda like Terry Pratchett's elves with the glamour turned off?
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 02:15:34 PM »
Yeah I agree...vampires and werewolves too overdone.  These days they're being too modernized in the stories that seem to make it into the spotlight.  It's always some scientific thing, a virus or chromozome or something.  Why can't they just be vamps and weres, with no explanation of why they exist?  We fear the unknown right?

Also, you guys talking about the elves sent up a red flag in my mind about my as yet unwritten trilogy that, in my mind, will end up being my magnum opus if I pull it off the way I want.  I wanted a Tolkienesque backdrop, but without the fantasy cliches.  Like elegant and ancient elves.  So, in my story, the Elves were the world's enemy and eventually were wiped out in a collective effort by the other nations, except one; the heir to Elven throne.  For centuries he has been hunted to no avail.  You could compare him to Jason Bourne, I guess, lol.  Anyway, the trilogy is centered around the events of this missing heir to the throne and his half-elf offspring, the son he hid away in order to keep his elvish blood a secret.  He does come back in the stories, and there are many dormant bounty hunters that come after him and his son.

So, elves as the world's ultimate enemy...has it been done before?
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Wolfhowls

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 02:47:04 PM »
I think vampires are too overdone but werewolves aren't. Not too many people know how to write werewolf stories all that well. I have read a few and the majority of the stories weren't all that great. But your plot idea sounds cool, not something I've read or heard of. Sounds like a good Anti Hero theme which I'm all for.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 03:30:03 PM »
IMO, yes. Vamps and werewolves are overdone. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find any sort of twist or new direction to make them interesting again.

I've never been overly fond of werewolves, but there are a lot of directions one can go with vampires that people aren't focusing on at the moment.  I have very little time for the paranormal romance genre, but books like David Wellington's Thirteen Bullets do nice innovative things with bits of traditional vampire lore that have barely been touched in modern vampire fiction, and Peter Watts' Blindsight, justifiably nominated for lots of major awards this year, has among its various peculiar spaceship crew members a vampire with seriously inhuman psychology, so I think the notion is far from mined out.

Not as overdone as elves though. I have taken to tossing aside any book that introduces "mysterious, beautiful people, tall and graceful, their voices like music, eyes glinting with the knowledge of ages..." and rot such as that.

Of course, if you're a hideous cannibalistic insectoid thing who wants the nice tasty humans to get close enough to gobble, some way of appearing mysterious, beautiful, tall and graceful is as good a lure as any.

The thing about most contemporary takes on elves that bores me is that most of them are as you describe, on the surface, and have nothing behind that to back them up.  [ With Ford's The Last Hot Time as an honorable counterexample. ] Tolkien's elves have much more to them than that, and it's easy to miss on a quick reading of Lord of the Rings just how much there is to them - they are basically Miltonian angels dressing way down, and the couple of places where that mask slips [ "All shall love me and despair" ] are to my mind moments that stick.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 05:59:39 PM »

So, elves as the world's ultimate enemy...has it been done before?

Don't think so.  John M. Ford's The Last Hot Time has the elves come back - pretty much by every city of any size acquire an Elf Quarter that has suddenly always been there - and become the most dangerous mafia in the world, and the knock-on effects of this shift and the introduction of a small but pervasive amount of magic into the world on the global economy are about the same as that of a limited nuclear war, but that's very much a background-shape thing, what the book's about is on a different scale entirely.

The potential problem with elves as the world's ultimate enemy, IMO, is that it could all too easily come across as the kind of thing that on the surface looks like aristocracy-bashing, and with a bit more thought is very hard not to read as fear of any kind of reward for merit.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 07:50:26 PM »
Well, there's a reason they became the world's enemy.  They weren't always that way, but something huge happened that turned the world against them.  I don't want to divulge too much.  I've been developing this story since I was 12...that's 13 years in the making.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 07:51:41 PM »
Depends on how the story is executed. I can be iffy with weres and vamps, but part of it is personal bias: There used to be this crazy girl on the Recursion of The Matrix Online who roleplayed as a vampire, and she was the most anNOYing about it: used to randomly try and turn people into vampires (especially females, since it seemed she was a bisexual who used RP as an outlet for her sexual drives...), whether they wanted to RP a vamp or not, and that included me/my character. She even lead a faction full of vamps and weres until the thing got to be the laughingstock of the server and the phrase "lesbian vampire" became a catch-phrase for someone who badly RPed a vampire/werewolve/preternatural Exilic program of choice.

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 12:02:00 AM »
Well, there's a reason they became the world's enemy.  They weren't always that way, but something huge happened that turned the world against them.  I don't want to divulge too much.  I've been developing this story since I was 12...that's 13 years in the making.
Umm, well yes, I'm doing.

Race ya to publish!!!!

OF course, my synopsis is nothing like yours, so maybe there is room for both of us!! :)
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
    • Sa Souvraya Niende Misain Ye
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 03:11:06 AM »
Me, I think they're a little overdone. But I just like various mythologies rather than the same monsters.

Who cares what anyone says. If it's got you dragged in, write it. :)

Kate Beckinsale, bodysuit. Gahh.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 03:13:47 AM by Kiriath »
Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
Dr. Haas: Well, he profits by one entire world for starters...
A Miracle of Science

Bonded to the Traveler of the Ways

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 04:11:31 AM »
I've never been overly fond of werewolves, but there are a lot of directions one can go with vampires that people aren't focusing on at the moment.  I have very little time for the paranormal romance genre, but books like David Wellington's Thirteen Bullets do nice innovative things with bits of traditional vampire lore that have barely been touched in modern vampire fiction, and Peter Watts' Blindsight, justifiably nominated for lots of major awards this year, has among its various peculiar spaceship crew members a vampire with seriously inhuman psychology, so I think the notion is far from mined out.

IMO, 'overdone' isn't the same as 'mined out'. Overdone simply means that too many novels/stories focus on those archetypes. I'd certainly never discourage a writer from tackling them -- in fact, every writer of horror/fantasy should probably do them even if it's just to get it 'out of their system'. If you keep up with magazine (online and paper) sub guidelines, you'll see that many editors are honestly stating that vampire stories are going to be a tough sell because they are deluged with them.

I agree about Blindsight and think he was robbed at the Hugos. As much as I enjoyed Vinge's Rainbow's End, I feel the Watt's novel broke more ground, told a more exciting story, and was basically superior on a literary level.

Of course, if you're a hideous cannibalistic insectoid thing who wants the nice tasty humans to get close enough to gobble, some way of appearing mysterious, beautiful, tall and graceful is as good a lure as any.

True, true. But I was thinking more along the lines of. "Oh, Lord -- it's a bunch of stinkin' elves. Watch out, little one -- they're weak and stupid, but quick. Might lose a finger if you're not careful. Give 'em a wide berth, luv."

The thing about most contemporary takes on elves that bores me is that most of them are as you describe, on the surface, and have nothing behind that to back them up.  [ With Ford's The Last Hot Time as an honorable counterexample. ] Tolkien's elves have much more to them than that, and it's easy to miss on a quick reading of Lord of the Rings just how much there is to them - they are basically Miltonian angels dressing way down, and the couple of places where that mask slips [ "All shall love me and despair" ] are to my mind moments that stick.

Well, literary philosophy-wise I suppose I'm basically a Campbellian. Humancentric to a fault. :P
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 01:07:42 PM »
We need more FAE...Seelie and Unseelie Court. To date, the only place I've seen this come up is Jim's work, Matt Wagner's Mage,Delint's Jack the Giant Killer...and my unpublished stuff.

There's so much more to the mythos than bloody elves.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick